Re Capture Footage that was digitized using Capture Now

Posted by Amy McCann 
Re Capture Footage that was digitized using Capture Now
August 15, 2007 12:26PM
Hi,

I'm having to recapture footage that was captured using "capture now" and I am having absolutely NO luck. Every time it captures right at the end of the clip there's an error saying "broken timecode" this is with every single clip I've tried to recapture.

I've now tried re logging with the same timecodes and that seems to work. However, once FCP has captured the logged clip it then brings up the dialog to capture the clip again. Not sure what that's all about. Perhaps you have some thoughts?

As you can probably guess this is very frustrating so any advice you can give would be great.

I know ideally I should be logging and then capturing but the amount of tapes makes this method impossible. sad smiley I've read that there's a possibility that the clip will grab some of the timecode from the part where it breaks and perhaps this is what happened. Not sure.

Is there a better work-around than re-logging the clips? Or is that the most effective method of fixing this problem that you know of?

Thanks, as always, for your help and guidance, you guys are a great source when stuck with a problem.
Re: Re Capture Footage that was digitized using Capture Now
August 15, 2007 12:58PM
Hey Amy

Using Capture Now you can get too close to a timecode break at the top of a clip and get bad timecode at the end that makes the clip un-batch capturable. When trying to rescue some "Capture Now" footage I got that message but never ended up with a clip that was usable or referenced the sequence in any way.

There isn't much you can do with the clips that are uncapturable.

Is this for a fully edited sequence or a project in progress?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
August 15, 2007 01:01PM
Amy,

No sympathy here. You're asking if you can have your cake and eat it too.

Sorry. There's no substitute for accurate logging and capture. If you took the short cut of capture now, as you're finding out, there are consquences. There have been ton's of posts on this topic. There may even be a FAQ about it.

Mark
August 15, 2007 01:13PM
The desperation method might be to FireWire copy the work onto a second tape and capture that. If it's not hundreds of hours of work, that may work for you. The picture won't change, but the second tape will have all new timecode.

Koz
August 15, 2007 01:30PM
you might look into a different capture program that isnt so timecode dependent. i remember a few years ago when i ran into a similar problem that i just fired up an old copy of premiere and it worked fine.

wonder if imovie might help...?
August 15, 2007 03:35PM
hi,

thanks. Yeah I figured this was the case. In the end I was able to capture the footage just relogging it. The program is in progress at the moment I'm only coming in part way through and this is footage that was digitized before I got here so.. meh, what can you do...

thanks for the constructive suggestions from everyone. I appreciate it.
A.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics