There Has to Be a Faster Way to Apply Color Correction in 4.5

Posted by douglas robbins 
There Has to Be a Faster Way to Apply Color Correction in 4.5
August 19, 2007 12:48PM
I'm color correcting a 103 minute documentary. There are all sorts of ways to re-apply a color correction filter from one clip to another. THere's the drag and drop icon, the forward 1 or 2 clips button, and of course you can just cut and paste attributes.

But it seems like the initial application of a color correction filter ought to be able to be done via keyboard. I know, it's not that big of a hassle to use the menu, or even drag and drop from the effects tab, but imagine doing this 40 or 50 times for a single sequence, for 24 sequences, and you can see, it begins to get old. Is there some way to just select the clip and press a keyboard button to apply color correction? Is there some way to customize the keyboard to do this if it's not already built in?

Thanks to the gurus, in advance.

Douglas

FCP 4.5
G5 dual 2.0
OS 10.3.9
Re: There Has to Be a Faster Way to Apply Color Correction in 4.5
August 19, 2007 01:01PM
> But it seems like the initial application of a color correction filter ought to be able to be done via
> keyboard.

Keep it in your Browser and drag and drop. Or, if you're talking about a "neutral" Color Corrector filter (ie. default settings), select it and press OPTION-F (Make Favorite Effect). Apply it to a clip by pressing one of the "Video Filter Favorite" shortcuts (defaults should be CONTROL-SHIFT-2, W, S or F). You can also customize the shortcuts for by hitting OPTION-H (Customize Keyboard Layout) and then typing "Favorite" in the search field.

www.derekmok.com
August 19, 2007 05:55PM
If your camera work has consistent lighting in particular clips sprinkled in the timeline, what I do is use the find function, Command F, type in a unique part of the filename for that shot, and then drop your colour correction on the selected clips right in the timeline but first SAVE a copy of your timeline because backing out of this "global change" has to be done manually. Will save you lots of time in multi cam shoots again with consistent lighting. I just went through 10 hours of edited material using this so I feel your pain.

-Andrew Stone
August 20, 2007 05:18AM
[ but imagine doing this 40 or 50 times for a single sequence, for 24 sequences, and you can see, it begins to get old]

Stay young! I select a bunch of clips or if appropriate, the whole track, and apply the same color corrcetion to all with Option-V, Paste Attributes.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set Video In & Out separate from Audio with Control I & O !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics