Panasonic HD Audio Sync Issue
August 23, 2007 04:30PM
Hello all,

Project: 720p24 shot on varicam.
Easy Setup: DVCPRO HD 720p24
Capturing: FCP 5.1.4 via firewire 800
Deck: Panasonic HD1200A
Drive: GRaid 500GB

Issue: Audio is out of sync from picture, seems to be lagging behind picture by one second.

Thanks,
Ben
Re: Panasonic HD Audio Sync Issue
August 24, 2007 09:06PM
lagging, are you monitoring picture through the camera and listening to the audio from the computer?
August 25, 2007 12:21PM
No. I am monitoring video out of the "super" out on the back of the deck to a NTSC monitor (the super out downconverts picture), and through the computer monitor. The audio is coming out of the deck to the mixer.

After capturing 6 tapes I figured out a "trick". At the head of the tape I log a minute or two of footage as mere "filler". Then I batch capture the rest of the tape including the "filler" clip (which is captured first). If I do this, then the majority of the clips are in sync with audio. If I only capture one clip at a time, over half come in out of sync.

It seems the first clip is always out of sync - then all subsequent clips captured in the batch are in sync.

I have no idea why? Could it be that the "system" (computer, GRaid, Deck) all need to get to "speed"? This doesn't seem to make sense though....

Any more thoughts?
September 06, 2007 04:12AM
I am having this EXACT same problem.

Project: 720p24 shot on varicam.
Easy Setup: DVCPRO HD 720p24
Capturing: FCP 5.1.4 via firewire 400
Deck: Panasonic HD1200A
Drive: Maxtor 320GB

Issue: Audio is out of sync from picture, seems to be lagging behind picture by one second.

This is making me nuts. Ben's hack doesn't work for me with the filler. I'm not monitoring audio during capture. I playback the movies in FCP after capture. At 720p60 easy setup it all works - no sync issues. At 720p24 its all out of sync. Now its 2am and I have a $300/day rental deck eating a hole in the budget. Are there any deck settings I should check? Can someone else with this setup confirm its working for you? Can someone with FCP 6 confirm its working?

sad,
alex sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics