Words of wisdom on DSR-250 camera

Posted by Scott Taylor 
Words of wisdom on DSR-250 camera
September 10, 2007 01:32PM
I have an opportunity to use one of these through the local public access TV station. I just did a forum search for any mention of it, and didn't get one hit! Any of you ever used one, have any special feelings pro or con? I gather its main use is ENG; it uses either Mini-DV or DVCAM tapes, XLR inputs, all that stuff. Any gotchas that you know about would be appreciated.

Scott
Re: Words of wisdom on DSR-250 camera
September 10, 2007 02:36PM
Try google. DSR-250.

I've used one. It's like an XL-1 in a betacam body. Crappy resolution and crappy controls, with a crappy viewfinder, but it is shoulder-mount, so it makes you look like you work for a real TV station! It's the model used by public access stations the world 'round.

Not a bad camera. Controls are laid out in the standard format. If you've used anything that's sat on your shoulder, you'll pick it right up.

-MW
September 10, 2007 02:59PM
i wouldnt call it an "opportunity camera" but it does what it does.
September 10, 2007 08:28PM
I've seen some nice work out of those cameras from a couple of good camos over here. One of them one day did mention a saturation trick - some setting he changed to remove the blue cast that you normally get on DV/DVCAM.

Mind you, they were just clipping the DVCAM back onto their own Betacam bodies, with good lenses, so maybe that was part of the deal too. Still, broadcast quality pics. All passed QC.

September 11, 2007 01:17PM
Thanks for all the info. I had done the google, I just wanted some street-level opinions. It may not be all that special, but it's got more going for it than the one I own tongue sticking out smiley.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics