No Audio for "Print to Video" or "Edit to tape"

Posted by drceballos 
No Audio for "Print to Video" or "Edit to tape"
September 11, 2007 06:12PM
Howdee LAFCUG,

Something very strange happened today when i tried to "Edit to tape" out of fcp 5.1.4 though our blackmagic card to our betasp deck...no audio. I hear audio going through the monitor, but no audio got transfered from the squence to the beta sp tape.

at first i thought it might be the card or cables or something hardware related, but then i tired to export though "Print to video" though firewire to our DV deck...once again...no audio on the tape.

im sure its some sort of simple setting that needs to be changed, but now im stuck...please un-stuck me.

thanks again in advance for all your lovely pearls of wisdom.
DR
Re: No Audio for "Print to Video" or "Edit to tape"
September 11, 2007 06:30PM
<<<I hear audio going through the monitor>>>

Where is the monitor connected? The fact that you can hear the monitor may be why the Beta deck didn't get it.

Where is View, External Video set?

Alternately, if you run the BlackMagic setup panel, what does that say should be happening? Are you sending the audio to a AES/EBU (digital) output instead of the analog connections? It's possible to split them funny. We had our Kona card do something like that.

Koz
September 11, 2007 07:13PM
Hi Koz,

thanks for the reply

Our audio and video is connected through analog XLR and component imputs into the beta sp deck. The monitor A/V signals are fed from the beta sp deck.

As for the External settings in fcp under view i have them set to

Video: Blackmagic NTSC 8 bit
Audio: Decklink Audio and Audio follows video.

During playback i hear everything fine, when im recording using "Edit to tape" or "print to video" i hear the audio as well, its when the tape is done, there is no audio.
September 11, 2007 11:05PM
Which BetaSP deck?

Has this ever worked?

What happens if you play a known, good, working BetaSP tape? Can you hear and see it?

What happens if you put a blank tape in the machine, play Final Cut, and simply press the Record and Play buttons on the deck at the same time (also known as "Smash Record."winking smiley I know the in point and out point (when you pressed stop) will be very damaged, but did you get everything?

It's possible to set up Edit To Tape so it will not record audio. It's possible to edit audio only. It's possible to edit only the Left Channel of audio, so that one doesn't surprise me. I don't think you can set up Print To Tape like that, however.

If you play Final Cut and Smash Record and don't get the audio tracks on tape, you have a good chance of a damaged deck.

Koz
September 12, 2007 01:02AM
I bet it's the BMD control panel routing. I got bit briefly by this on AJA's Kona 3 panel.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set Video In & Out separate from Audio with Control I & O !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
September 12, 2007 09:51AM
We all got bit with that. However the poster claims to hear the audio on monitoring connected to the tape machine. If the interface card were routing audio incorrectly, you wouldn't get that.

I didn't ask about metering on the tape machine. When they tell us which machine model, I'll know how to ask about that, too.

Koz
September 12, 2007 04:16PM
Thank you so much Koz and Loren for your wonderfull feedback.

I have done some more "playing around" today and "Print to Video" to our DV deck is working fine. i just had the input setting on the deck set to video by mistake.

As for "Edit to tape", to our Sony UVW-1800 Beta SP deck, im still having no luck getting any audio. However the deck does play audio out. i put in a tape with audio and heard it loud and clear.

I did try a "Smash Record" and that did work, but the timecode was not matching the sequence timecode.

anymore advice would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance,
DR Ceballos
September 12, 2007 06:30PM
<<<but the timecode was not matching the sequence timecode.>>>

No, and it will probably never match. I'll get to that.

<<<I did try a "Smash Record" and that did work>>>

You got a recording with both picture and sound in good order, right? Many other things are messed up, but those three signals, video, left, and right are OK?

<<<i put in a tape with audio and heard it loud and clear. >>>

So the deck playback and record services appear to be in perfect health. That's a good thing.

Here it is.
When you go into Edit To Tape, there is a little audio panel in the far lower right where you can turn your audio channels on and off one at a time.

<<<Time Code>>>

There is no provision to send time code to the deck. The best you can do is black a tape with very specific timecode on the tape and then Insert Edit your picture and sound "over" the timecode which doesn't change. This is where you get your first picture of the show at 1:00:00:00.

Black a tape starting at 58:30:00 and then put your bars and tone, slates, etc. etc at the appropriate places before the actual show. "Appropriate Places" being whatever the client wants. There is no standard I know.

Like :30 of bars and tone, black, ten seconds slate and routing information, black, 8 seconds SMPTE Clock Leader, 2 sec black, Show. Ad Lib or call the client.

Koz
September 12, 2007 07:45PM
Thanks again Koz for the feedback. unfortunally, in the "Edit to Tape" window in the lower right, everything is ON. Timecode, picture, and AUDIO are all yellow/On in that window.

hmm, im really at a lost, but i really do appreacite all the correspondance. without this thread i would have never learned what a "Smash Record" is....haha

DR Ceballos
September 12, 2007 08:16PM
We call it 'crash' recording here in Oz.

There was another thread about this recently, let me see if I can find it ..

Here it is : Edit to Tape Problems

September 13, 2007 12:45PM
Jude/Koz

thanks for the new thread. I enjoy learning new lingo like "crash record".

However, i still didn't get any audio output with "Edit to Tape" when i switched my 'Audio Outputs' options in the 'Sequence Settings' from default 0 to OFF.

but thanks again for the help.

May the FAQ be with you all,
DR Ceballos
Re: No Audio for "Print to Video" or "Edit to tape"-- Hey Jude.....
September 13, 2007 12:52PM
And may we hijack the thread long enough to suggest that Jude clean out her mailbox.

Koz
September 13, 2007 08:10PM
Have you sent me something Koz? I haven't got any new messages from you here..

September 14, 2007 11:13AM
I tried to.

"That User's Mailbox is Full."

I wonder if we have a routing anomaly. I didn't get to the mail system directly from the forum.

Koz
September 14, 2007 11:16AM
No, it really is full:

=====================================
The message could not be sent.
The mail storage space for user 'Jude Cotter' is full.
=====================================

Koz
September 14, 2007 11:35AM
I've had same problem on a couple occasions with Jude's mail server. Seems a problem on her servers end. That, or the box that says to delete messages from server when you delete the message from your computer is not checked. Might check that Jude. I think most email apps have that under "Options."

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 14, 2007 08:55PM
Yeah I did check the server - completely empty. Unless, are you talking about the PM area Koz? I've got a few messages in there - not more than 10 or so though. I'll try cleaning them out.

September 14, 2007 09:07PM
Oh - erp. It was my PM box. Completely full. Should be free now, Koz.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics