Compressor Quitting on launch

Posted by Alexander 
Compressor Quitting on launch
September 12, 2007 11:36PM
Using Compressor from FCStudio 2 Compressor 3 quits every time I launch it. What to do? Please help!

Mac G5, 1Gig memory, OS X 10.4.10.
Re: Compressor Quitting on launch
September 13, 2007 07:03AM
Don't know if this is your situation, but this happened to me after I re-installed Studio 2. Compressor suddenly would not launch. After trying everything I could think of and then finally calling Apple, I was told this is a known problem. Their only solution was to re-install your entire operating system! I did that and Compressor then functioned normally. Huge pain in the butt.

Tom
September 13, 2007 09:27AM
There was a document on Apple's website about that. They had suggested a less radical solution, to dump Compressor preferences. If that doesn't work, reinstall Compressor. There's also a Creative Cow discussion:

[forums.creativecow.net]

www.derekmok.com
September 13, 2007 02:22PM
Thank you guys! Will do!
September 13, 2007 06:43PM
I had the same issue and spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Apple tech guy who knew his stuff. He just didn't know why there was this problem. Never the less, he walked me through it and now all is okay. Follow these directions and you should be home free.
Link: [www.info.apple.com]

Compressor: Troubleshooting basics
Symptom

If Compressor isn't starting up properly or performing normally, try these basic troubleshooting steps to remedy the situation. Please note that these steps aren't exhaustive, and are not intended to cover any specific issue. They are fundamental, basic steps that are most effective in getting Compressor into good working order, and are the steps most often suggested by AppleCare Technical Support.

Solution

Confirm versions

Update to the latest software versions.
Choose Software Update from the Apple menu and make sure that you have the most recent updates for your versions of Compressor, QMaster, QuickTime, and other important system files. Installing the latest updates ensures that your software has the latest improvements and enhancements.
Check compatibility and driver versions for third-party devices.
If you're using a third-party capture card, storage system, input device, or something else, check the support area on the manufacturer's website to be sure that you're using the latest version of the relevant driver or other software for your device.
Confirm your computer's name in Sharing

A Computer Name and a Local Hostname must be populated in the Sharing pane in System Preferences (even if sharing is not enabled for any services).

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Click Sharing.
If the Computer Name field is blank, enter a name.
Click the Edit button.
If there is not a name in the Local Hostname field, enter a name.

Delete the User Preferences

You can resolve many issues by restoring Compressor back to its original settings. This will not impact your project files. To reset your Compressor user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

In the Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences?the tilde (~) represents your Home folder.
Remove the following files from the Preferences folder:
com.apple.Compressor.CompressorSharedService.plist
com.apple.compressor.Compressor.plist
Note: This will not delete any custom settings that you may have created. Custom settings are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Compressor.

Repair File Permissions

Close all the files and applications that you have open.
Open Disk Utility (located in the Utilities folder in Applications) and select your startup disk in the list on the left.
Click First Aid.
Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.
Remove and reinstall Compressor

To reinstall Compressor effectively, you need to remove the application, its receipts and associated files, then install Compressor and use Software Update to install additional updates. Follow the steps below to completely reinstall a fresh copy of Compressor. Note: Make sure that you have the installation discs for the application that Compressor was bundled with and the serial number handy before starting this.

Use Finder to remove the following listed items:
/Applications/Apple Qadministrator.app
/Applications/Apple Qmaster.app
/Applications/Compressor.app
/Applications/Utilities/Batch Monitor.app
/Library/Application Support/Apple Qmaster (the folder)
/Library/Frameworks/AECore.framework
/Library/Frameworks/Compressor.framework
/Library/Frameworks/MediaServerAPI.framework
/Library/Frameworks/Qmaster.framework
/Library/Logs/Qmaster (the folder)
/Library/PreferencePanes/Apple Qmaster.prefPane
/Library/Receipts/Compressor.pkg
/Library/Receipts/Qmaster.pkg
/Library/Receipts/Qmaster_Frameworks.pkg
/Library/StartupItems/Qmaster (the folder)
In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
Type the following path:
/usr/sbin/
Click the Go button.
Locate the following items from that Finder folder, and drag them to the Trash:
qmasterca
qmasterd
qmasterprefs
qmasterqd
In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
Type the following path:
/var/spool/qmaster/
Click the Go button.
If there are any folders inside the qmaster directory, drag them to the Trash.
From your install disc, reinstall Compressor and Apple Qmaster.
When finished, use Software Update (under the Apple menu) to update your software to the latest version.
Thank you,
Apple

steve-sharksdelight
September 13, 2007 07:23PM
Now I am in trouble. I trashed preferences, located all the files related to Compressor and trshed them, including the program itself, but...when I insert the install disk, compressor is "grayed out" no way to install it again. What did I do wrong?
HELP!!!!!
September 13, 2007 07:28PM
If you trashed everything that is on the above list, you did nothing wrong. Look at your install window. Its okay if it is greyed out. If I remember correctly, on the far right of the window it will say how much room reinstalling compressor will take. If all else but Compressor says 0, you are right where you should be. Complete the install and you should be fine.
Steve
ps Never empty the trash until everything is up and running again.

steve-sharksdelight
September 14, 2007 01:56PM
Thank you Steve. I noticed that everything was grayed out. I proceeded and installed. It did install "Everything", FCP. Motion, DVD Pro... Compressor among the re-installed apps. Once I did, the trashing took place. Now, for the great news: Compressor is Up and Running.
Thank you a million for sharing the information above. I have a question, did I do good by re-installing everything? I thought I was going to install just Compressor. It's working, I am relieved, but just wanted to know. Thank you again, Steve!
September 14, 2007 03:12PM
Alexander,
Glad all is running well for you now. You did not need to reinstall all the apps but the fact that you did will not be problematic. Doing a reinstall of the entire Studio takes a lot of time when it should have gone very quickly for you just reinstalling Compressor and QMaster.
No harm done tho.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics