Exporting Quicktime with TC window burn

Posted by jdredline 
Exporting Quicktime with TC window burn
September 19, 2007 02:07AM
I'm cutting a film project in 23.98 non-drop frame time lines for a negative cut.

My Sound house delivery specs are as follows:

QuickTime videos
29.97 non-drop framerate
Motion JPEG-A at a minimal of 2 MB a sec rate
640x480 frame size
Production audio on left channel
MX and FX on right channel
Burn in Timecode window upper left or where appropriate
Each reel should be separated and TC should reflect this( Ex. Reel 1 = hour 1 timecode, etc.)

With 12 channels of dialog and 8 of M & E, I exported the appropriate tracks out separately as AIFs in order to place them on the right or left channel with the video.

I feel my next step is to make a Quicktime movie at 29.97. The step after that would be importing that 29.97 QT and place it in a 29.97 seq with a TC Reader filter on it and then exporting it to the Motion JPEG-A specs as requested.

This seemingly logical process does not work.

When I use QT Conversion, it changes the TC to drop-frame.

What am I missing?
Re: Exporting Quicktime with TC window burn
September 19, 2007 12:38PM

With 12 channels of dialog and 8 of M & E, I exported the appropriate tracks out separately as AIFs in order to place them on the right or left channel with the video.

just so you know,
another way is to open your sequence settings,
go to the audio outputs tab,
and choose "Dual Mono"

then back in your timeline,
control or right click near the lock icon on each audio track,
and choose A1, or A2 for left or right, respectively.

When I use QT Conversion, it changes the TC to drop-frame.

sorry, cant help you there.
September 19, 2007 08:15PM
12 channels of dialogue? I'm guessing you're doing a remake of The Big Chill, with a separate pair of tracks for every actor because they stuffed up the sound and had to ADR the whole lot, person by person.

How come you didn't just checkerboard the dialogue on a couple of tracks?

September 19, 2007 08:26PM
Posted by: Nick Meyers "...go to the audio outputs tab, and choose Dual Mono
then back in your timeline, control or right click near the lock icon on each audio track, and choose A1, or A2 for left or right, respectively..."

Thank you, Nick! That trick is much easier than the 3 step process I came up with!
September 19, 2007 08:34PM
Posted by: Jude Cotter: "...12 channels of dialogue? I'm guessing you're doing a remake of The Big Chill, with a separate pair of tracks for every actor because they stuffed up the sound and had to ADR the whole lot, person by person...."

I'm the 2nd Assistant Editor on this show hired to finish up all the delivery requirements for the Sound, FX, and Neg Cut houses.

I met the editor on his way out on my 1st day and didn't get a chance to ask about why so many tracks.

Posted by: Jude Cotter: "...How come you didn't just checkerboard the dialogue on a couple of tracks?..."

Didn't know how that would help back then.

I now know everything about outputting audio and your suggestion above sounds like more work.

Oh, and by the way...
September 19, 2007 08:59PM
Posted by: jdredline: "...When I use QT Conversion, it changes the TC to drop-frame. What am I missing?..."

I'm missing the sequence pre-set.

In order to make sure the QT movie is in non-drop frame, I went to Audio/Video settings>Sequence Preset.

Motion JPEG A was not one of the options in the long list of presets , so I selected the closest one to it: offlineRT NTSC (PHOTO JPEG).

I duplicated it and then double clicked it to open up the SEQUENCE PRESET SETTINGS WINDOW.

I renamed it "Motion JPEG A 640 X 480" (the settings for my specs listed above) and placed a description in the decscription field.

On the General tab I changed the folowing:
Frame Size: 640X480 (NTSC 4:3)
Pixel Aspect ratio: Square
Editing Timebase: 29.97
Timecode Rate: 30 non-Drop Frame
Compressor: motion JPEG A

I hit "OK" and the pre-set was created.

Now I create a new sequence and it will have the above specs.

I place my 29.97 QT movie the sequence

Place a Timecode Generator filter on it and set it to 29.97NDF.

Edit>Export>Quicktime Movie

Use current settings

Save.

Result?

A 29.97 Non-Drop Frame Quicktime movie with burned timecode window as requested in the Sound house specs above.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics