How usefull is compressor when it matters ?

Posted by larkis 
How usefull is compressor when it matters ?
September 23, 2007 11:16AM
I have about 380+ apple intermediate codec clips that i captured from a HDV camcorder and was going to convert them all to pro rez using compressor with the reverse telecine feature. The issue i'm running into is the fact that compressor crashes when i add the clips to the list, and when i make a droplet of the setting and drag all the clips onto it my quad core G5 starts spinning it's fans and basically will stay in that state all night. My 8 core Mac Pro makes the droplet crash after about 2 minutes.

What would be the best way to batch process all those clips ? I thought compressor was designed for making batch exports of many files, not just 5 or 6. That's sort of useless for many tasks. I there a command line tool in final cut pro studio that would handle larger lists ?

Can the reverse telecine feature that is in compressor be accessed from within final cut for doing conversions of HDV clips that are 24p encoded inside of 29.97 ? I find that cinema tools does not auto detect the cadence reason for me doing this with compressor.
Re: How usefull is compressor when it matters ?
September 23, 2007 12:44PM
What version of Compressor are you using? We frequently compress batches up to 50 or more regularly without problem. We export both out of FCP directly or from dropping QT's in from Finder. Additionally, we used compressor 2 for a long time and now on our 8-cores with Compressor 3 and things have gotten much much faster, tho i sincerely hate the new interface.

So, it seems like you need an update or reinstall because obviously Compressor isn't working as it should. There is a 3.1 update you should have, since your going to ProRes

You do realize also that this is going to take a long long time, as this is a difficult transcode. Do you really need ProRes? FCP 6 can handle multi-formats pretty well now, especially on a 8-core. Perhaps just change your sequence render settings to ProRes to get some better performance...
Re: How usefull is compressor when it matters ?
September 23, 2007 01:19PM
I have all the latest updates and versions of final cut. I was able to convert about 80 clips or so but if you try over 300 things start to "blow up".

Reason I'm using prorez after the reverse telecine is so i'm not re encoding back into apple intermediate or the HDV codec. Seems to work very nice once i have the 24p clips made
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics