HAPPILY chewing throughing a NEW matrox FW800 drive

Posted by wayne granzin 
HAPPILY chewing throughing a NEW matrox FW800 drive
September 29, 2007 04:02AM
just a sate of the FW drive message: DVCPROHD - shot via HVX200 on firestore fs100,

had to buy locally available (hey im in big-box houston!)
chewed through the better part of an off-the-shelf (frys) matrox 300 gig fw400/800.usb2 drive (in fw800 mode) daisy-chained to an OWC single fw800 drive.

narry a single hiccup. raced through the better part of an hour of dvcproHD, via firestore fs100. not a single error.

though just my experience - times about 3x
Re: HAPPILY chewing throughing a NEW matrox FW800 drive
September 29, 2007 12:10PM
MAXTOR...not Matrox. Matrox does not make hard drives.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 29, 2007 12:12PM
Maxtors, strangely enough, are better than Lacies. Still, I assume you have all your backups in place, right?

www.derekmok.com
September 29, 2007 02:42PM
ever say something wrong once then you cant stop. ive been calling it a "matrox drive" for days - shanes about the 4th person to mention that ; )
September 29, 2007 03:57PM
Check out the customer reviews for this Maxtor product.
[www.amazon.com]

I would never buy a Maxtor product.
September 29, 2007 04:22PM

Check out the customer reviews for this Maxtor product.
[www.amazon.com]

I would never buy a Maxtor product.

I'll second that.

Maxtors, strangely enough, are better than Lacies.

Maxtors ARE LaCies, D...at least whatever month LaCie has the contract to be supplied by Maxtor.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 30, 2007 06:05PM
i can honestly say i work with more off the shelf dirves (or at least see them pass by me) than most, working in a film college digital labs. currently see alot of maxtor drives and seagates around (both the old box and the new sci-fi ones) I've torn apart 5 maxtor drives in the last 2 months. Do to controller card failure, not drive error. yet to tare down a raided one (i think they have a better controller card than the single drive ones do) And I have to say internally those maxtors are amazing looking. For starters they run Sata Seagate (didn't know they were the same company now did ya?) drives. The drives them self aren't directly anchored to the case. They are anchored to big blue rubber shock absorbers. These shock absorbers than wedge into the case. And by the way, all that rubber and plastic siding covers one of the most interesting cases I've ever seen. It's actually a 7 sided case with this odd slant down the back for the fan to get the air.

As far as the drives them selves are concerned, I've only seen 1 dead drive and thats do to user error. Ive seen several drives corrupt do to user error (please, we tell those darned kids to format their drives every like 8 minutes, and yet i see more fat 32 drives every session than I did the previous)

I see alot of the WD mybooks, and have seen few problems with them, lacies seem to be doing better than they used to be. And seagates, well they aren't doing so bad either.

The number one problem I see with all these 'pop' drives (as in popular drives) that people can go and just get from fry's is that they tend to have alot, alot, alot of case troubles though the drives them self often keep on going. (if you get a maxtor, look into finding a sata case with FW ports, not an easy find by any means)

Just my .03 cents. (i typed alot, I believe i earned an extra 50%, plus its a weekend so i think thats time and a half

-Aaron
September 30, 2007 07:03PM
my tech guy told me that in the last 18 months, LaCie has dropped their standards even lower.
they now accept factory second drives as "Passable" quality.

he reckons he's seeing more LaCie failures than ever.

obviously this is mot much more than pure rumour, but thought i'd throw it in.

cheers,
nick
September 30, 2007 07:26PM
Been using Lacie drives with heavy usage for 4 years with no problems. 8 of the drives were the Lacie D2 Big Disc Extreme 500 gig triple interface. Never had a problem with capturing, editing or anything. Then just this summer I thought I'd try the try the new Lacie 500 gig quad interface drive and it was extremely disappointing. I was capturing mini dv via firewire 800 and on a 60 minute tape it would drop frames on capture 3 or 4 times. I thought I might of had a dirty playhead on my deck but the problem persisted. 3 weeks ago I picked up a Maxtor 750 and I haven't had one drop frame issue at all.

My opinion is Lacie's newer drives are poor and I'll stick to Maxtor when it comes to external firewire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics