flash to Quicktime

Posted by robin 
flash to Quicktime
October 01, 2007 12:04PM
Does anyone know how to export flash to quicktime? I need a quicktime file as final output and sometimes I also want to edit it in FCP.

I have exported flash (size 320 x240) to a QT file but it doesn't play. So then I bring it into QT pro and exported as QT movie. That plays and then I import into FCP but the size does not correspond to timeline size (320x240) and I get black bars on top and bottom. How do I get Flash into FCP without getting Black bars?

Do I have to make the flash file size larger to match the FCP timeline size?

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

-R
Re: flash to Quicktime
October 01, 2007 02:49PM
There are several programs that let you export FLV to QT. However, if your flash ?movies contain interactive elements, navigation etc you are almost out of luck. Your best bet is to use Snapz Pro (for mac) to do a ?live? screen capture while playing the flash file.

FCP does not handle well non-standard timelines. You can expect crashes, a lot of rendering and sluggish behavior if you try to set your sequence to 320x240. Maybe a better way is to work on an uncompressed 8-bit SD world and crop your export to desired specifications after the editing. (with compressor)
October 01, 2007 03:14PM
Boy do we need this added to the FAQ

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 01, 2007 07:53PM
I diasgree, i think FCP handles non-standard sequences pretty well. I've done a bunch of screen capture work and banner-esque web-video work and it worked out fine as long as the sequence if configured properly, even easier now with FCP 6 or the old multicam sequence trick. I've even editing Mpeg-4 iPod content and it held great.

Also, for coming out of Flash, it depends on the flash comp but i've had great results from there as well. You can export as Animation w/alpha channel which is super nice for hand-drawn effects etc or even as PNG sequences which worked quite well for a large hand-drawn animated map project i was working on.

Anyhoot, i'm all for mixed formats and media and flash is certainly a great tool for video, not just a platform for delivering video...
October 02, 2007 05:12PM
Hi Scott,

You seem to excel in something that others (me included) have not. Just looking a few threads above (mixed format timeline issues) and we see exactly the symptoms I just described. We (and robin especially) are all dying to learn how you do it?
October 11, 2007 03:29PM
Hello again,

Was waiting to see if anyone else had any more good tips about Flash to Quicktime and working with irregular size QT's in FCP (320x240 QT that is put in a 320x240 FCP timeline ends up with black bars on top and bottom). If there's anyone out there who has info on these matters, I think many of us would love to know.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded and anyone else that has some experiences with this.

Robin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics