Render problem- insufficient disk space

Posted by growe1 
Render problem- insufficient disk space
October 05, 2007 06:41PM
I am trying to render my 108 minute sequence, however, when I select "Render All" it renders part of it and then stops, stating that there is insufficient disk space and asks me if I want to use the render manager.

I have searched through other posts and I've tried the suggestions listed, including checking my system settings (there's 40 gigs available on my hard drive that's linked for the render files), I've also checked to make sure that the allowable amount was at least 10gigs in the system settings, and I've deleted render files using the render manager. I've even tried to re-boot, but no luck.

What now?
Re: Render problem- insufficient disk space
October 05, 2007 07:45PM
108 minute sequence render? What are your sequence settings (codec)?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 05, 2007 10:47PM
also, do you still have your old renders laying around, it may be time to delete these (side note, why does safari think 'render' isn't spelled right?)
October 05, 2007 11:42PM
He said, "And I've deleted render files using the render manager." So I'm guessing old renders aren't the issue.

> (side note, why does safari think 'render' isn't spelled right?)

Because auto spellchecks suck.

On the render issue: Do a test, split off part of your timeline, say five to 10 minutes, into an empty sequence that matches the settings of your old one. Render that and see if it will go.

www.derekmok.com
October 06, 2007 01:34AM
Not enough room... I wonder if your media drive would benefit from disk and/or file defragmentation? TechTool Pro, others.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Command-Shift-Z to Redo your last Undo !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
October 06, 2007 02:28PM
wait, you have to defrag osx extended drives? cause none of my drives have had that done ever. i just repair permissions and verify disk.

growe:

did this 108 render happen after you deleted the render files?

1. if you can afford it buy a small 40g or so drive (50-80 bucks) and move all other project files, capture files and source files related to there then go forward.

2. delete all render files for that project then do a long as hell render. after that you should be ok.

3. move it top a fresh project with correct settings. copy/paste

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 06, 2007 10:02PM
Yes you can clear out drives, using techtools, or diskwarrior. It could save your drive
October 06, 2007 11:27PM
[wait, you have to defrag osx extended drives? cause none of my drives have had that done ever. i just repair permissions and verify disk. ]

Diskwarrior repairs only your disk directory, and while that's crucial to drive health, it does nothing to address how files are deposited willy-nilly on your media platter, and occasionally the writing scheme can clog up free space.

Here's my routine.

First treat the disk directory with DiskWarrior.

Then it pays to do one of two things:

1) Grab everything and copy it to a fresh MacOSX HFS Extended- format disk. This can take a few hours. When drives are getting full plus fragged to hell, which is inevitable if you're using a drive for more than one project and depositing renders as well as captures on it-- I usually pick up a new box. Everything gets written contiguously to the new drive, just like optimizing.

OR,

2) Launch Techtool Pro or other reputable drive utility and Optimize the drive, which can also take hours, and not only defrags file fragments, but can optionally defrag *disk fragments*-- and I know someone here can clearly explain the difference ;-)

I usually do the whole enchilada on a chosen Maintenance Day. My drives are happy and snugly packed with media.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke the Audio Mixer with Option-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 07, 2007 11:53PM
is it that techtools does what disk warrior does and more or do i need both?
given a choice of the 2 which would you buy first?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 08, 2007 09:25AM
From the technogeek:

Disk Warrior is a one-trick pony, but it is a very good one-trick pony.

TechTool is a Swiss-Army knife. It has a bunch of tests and a bunch of tools for fixing and maintaining your Mac.

Most techies own both, but if you had to choose one, TechTool is probably the place to start.

If you find yourself with directory issues that TechTool can't fix, then that would probably the time to pick up Disk Warrior.

deb
October 08, 2007 10:03AM
Just to be devil's advocate...

I've never had DiskWarrior make a problem worse. Probably because DiskWarrior only does one thing, as Deb mentions, and also because it doesn't replace your old directory until it's verified the new one.

TechTool Pro, on the other hand, has once made a gasping but bootable system drive die completely on me when the machine crashed in the middle of a procedure. So I'm a little wary of it. I'm probably in the minority, though -- Ben King has also recommended this software.

www.derekmok.com
October 08, 2007 01:32PM
Yep Techtool is great but I agree with Derek on the Directory replacement - I would always run DW first for this, as it has been the most reliable over the years, whereas some incarnations of TT have done exactly the same to me as it did to Derek.

Also Loren's order of maintenance is similar to mine.

However I will always clear caches, delete prefs and repair disk permissions then restart before rebuilding or defragging an HDD.

? Either use the Disk Utility in Utilities folder on your Mac to repair permissions or to do the whole lot OnyX [www.titanium.free.fr]

? Then restart

? Try your renders again and if it doesnt work then do a DW on the media drive

? If it still doesn't work run TT on the media drive then test

? If it still doesn't work think about booting from the TT disc or eDrive (if you have installed the eDrive partition for TT) or the DW disk and checking your system disk for damage/corrupt files.

? Alternatively: use another Mac connected via firewire and do target mode on your mac (restart holding T key down). This will mount your mac as an External HDD and you can run TT/DW/DU on it without having to boot from DVD/eDrive

? Note: Use the Disk Utility first to check the sytem disk if you boot from another source.

IMPORTANT WARNING. If you are replacing directories or defragging your system disk (If you can) Backup onto another HDD in case it fails or is damaged and you lose everything.

Losing a system disk (on a mac) has only ever happened once to me back in the days when we thought it was safe to use Norton's Utilities but I won't take the risk again. Backup if you can or put some time aside to reinstall all your software if it goes to the wall.

Ben

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics