The mighty mouse...

Posted by strypes 
The mighty mouse...
October 06, 2007 02:36PM
Say... was thinking of getting a new mouse... But my previous experiences with the mac mighty mouse wasn't as mighty as the name was- the roller busted out on me every couple of weeks, on some programmes, i could scroll up, but not down, sometimes, down but not up, sometimes not at all... I like the slim features of it, and the 4way scrolling feature, but i honestly hate the durability.. Any recommendations on a reliable mouse? what mice do you guys use?
Re: The mighty mouse...
October 06, 2007 04:57PM
i use a 5 button Microsoft "IntelliMouse"

i use the "back" and "forward" side buttons all the time in internet browsers.
and i just now added the ability to go to next or previous tab in FCP using those buttons, too.

the so-called-mighy mouse, DOESNT have 2 side buttons, only one, which seems pretty lame to me,
and the microsoft mouse can scroll sideways, too, if you hold SHIFT while you work the scroll wheel,

so there's no compelling argument for a mighty mouse for me, yet.

nick
October 06, 2007 05:06PM
ive used logitec mice for years. have several and love em!

apple mice (ALL OF THEM) have SUCKED since the first imac and still do!
October 06, 2007 05:42PM
Hey! Never knew about the SHIFT-mouse scroll thing. Could've saved me from that year of using the nightmare that was the "Mighty" Mouse.

Seriously, that thing had the worst scrollball I've used anywhere.

I'm using a Kensington Si300 right now. Pretty solid scroll wheel, but a bit "tall" for my taste. But it was cheap.

www.derekmok.com
October 06, 2007 06:02PM
Logitec wireless mouses...mice...whatever.

Apple mouses...mice...get dropped into the Bin 'o Random Computer Crap and are only sought after if...if....well, I've never sought after them.

Apple trying to sell the Mighty Mouse as a multi-button solution...gah! The thing is a bear to try to work with. I bet more of these sit around un-used than used.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 06, 2007 06:36PM
I'm a Kensington scroll 2 button mouse guy. Scroll is most important. 2 buttons at very least is a must.

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 06, 2007 06:38PM
I use the cordless batteryless 5 button mouse that came with my Wacom Intuos Tablet. It's wider & lower to the table than standard mice (mouses, whatever) and I have big hands & can't stand skinny mice (mouses, whatever).

The Apple Mighty Mouse that came with my Quad has never left it's pretty Apple bag. I am currently in the market for a nice (FAT) bluetooth mouse for my upcoming MacBook Pro. I would love to hear more from the wireless mice (mouses, whatever) guys as on this...

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 06, 2007 07:27PM
i thought the wireless tools had a slight lag on them?
that'd drive me crazy.

nick
October 06, 2007 08:35PM
I use three mouses at home - one mighty mouse (not that impressed, but love the sideways scroll), a junky microsoft dual clicker (for Warcraft) and a logitech wireless performance laser - I think it's the VX.

The wireless mouse is great - no lag, lovely action, and best of all it has a slight sideways tilt, so your forearm rests at a much more natural angle on the desk. Also, you don't need bluetooth to run it. Just plug a thumbdrive-like stick into your keyboard and you're away.

I've also got a wireless keyboard on my Octo, Nick. No lag at all, although sometimes if something gets put in the way of the computer, like a laptop, there is a sudden loss of control, which is not so fun in Thunderbluff. Not sure if it even makes sense for the bluetooth stream to be interrupted by an item in its path, but it seems to be true.

October 06, 2007 09:17PM

i thought the wireless tools had a slight lag on them?

nnnnope.

October 06, 2007 09:55PM
I love my mx revolution, set me back like 75 bucks when they came out, but I've had it for a year, Makes everything a dream. Not much great things can be said about the logitech control center. But the mouse is amazing. Makes the occasional left handed mousing nearly impossible
October 07, 2007 03:01AM
haha... i'm currently on a fancy mouse with a bling bling! smiling smiley not incredible, it's a wired thing, but looks damned spunky!
October 07, 2007 12:30PM
I hate mieces to pieces...

Actually after I switched from the PC to a Mac I gave up looking for a good mouse, I mostly use a tablet, so I have become kind of fond of my mighty mouse. I love the sideways scrolling.

Are there better mice that avaliable with sideways scrolling?
October 07, 2007 01:20PM
There was this Mickey Mouse from Disney that I saw today- would be funky to pull up at work whipping out a mickey mouse! But sadly, it wasn't very friendly- it wasn't specified as mac compatible... Sideways scrolling? It doesn't matter when the scroll ball fails on me every couple of weeks- yea, i can scroll sideways, but i can't go up or down.. Moreover, I've lazy hands on the mouse, and so my left click turns out to be a right click sometimes... bahh.. enough of the mighty mouse...
October 07, 2007 07:15PM

currently on a fancy mouse with a bling bling!.... looks damned spunky!

so you got a name or a link for that?

nm
October 08, 2007 12:18AM
my logitech side scrolls, as did my old microsoft mouse.
October 08, 2007 09:43AM
Who the #@$! needs side scrolling?? GET BIGGER MONITORS spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

October 08, 2007 11:09AM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who the #@$! needs side scrolling?? GET BIGGER
> MONITORS spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I onced dragged my timeline across both monitors. grinning smiley but i that's an over exaggeration... Yea, i got a fancy looking mouse with blings... which is damned cool for first impressions. here's some more mice with good crystals.

[www.stylehive.com]

When i'm done with this mouse, i'll probably get a razer gaming mouse. smiling smiley
October 08, 2007 01:41PM
[www.logitech.com]

All of the Logitech hardware is excellent.

Expensive, but IMHO the best mice in the world and have been since I can remember.

I use a G5 Laser corded mouse for gaming and it rocks and is very comfortable for working too however I use a wacom tablet for serious work as it allows for at least a 30% improvement in work speed.

Plus I don't get "clawhand" or RSI from using the stylus on a wacom.

Ben

Who the #@$! needs side scrolling?? GET BIGGER MONITORS

When apple make a 4K pixel 50" Cinema display I'll be heading out the the store! So until then my 30" will have to be "manly" enough!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 08, 2007 02:36PM
I've gotten used to the Mighty Mouse, nothing real special about it though. My previous $14 optical mouse had the exact same features. The side button(s) is useless so I turned it off; trackball is nice though. My biggest problem is when someone else goes to use my computer and thinks the system is locked up because they can't click on anything (they don't know where to press to get left-click vs. right).

JK

October 08, 2007 03:07PM
My 89 year old father got his First computer a IMac-
It came with the Mighty Mouse --

He had never touched a computer before getting this Imac--

I live a state away so I had to help him on the phone-
and talk him threw using a computer --

The mighty mouse caused Hours of problems -
From my father had the mouse turned Backwards -LOL
to the Might Mouse is Hard to use because of Very poor design--

You would think that Apple- the inventors of the mouse-
would have done a better job of Updating it --

Mouse design team has been on a multi year lunch break --

I am working on a mouse design at the moment that
is worn like a ring on your finger -nothing to hold on to-
small- easy -Sweet --

Apple Mouse design team call me --Jay--
October 08, 2007 05:39PM
hey the mighty mouse is LIGHT YEARS above those old circle mice that used to ship with imacs. I went to a clients home office the other day, working on a (g3?) tower wit one of those old gargantuan imac size monitors on the tripod stands. He had one of those mice, i had to export a media manager file. It was a challenge at the best to use that 'thing'.
October 09, 2007 09:43AM
uh jay. i hate to be the one to tell you santa aint real - but apple didnt invent the mouse. in fact they didnt even "invent" the mac interface. the whole idea was basically abandoned as a non starter concept by xerox PARC. they just let the apple guys have it.

historically, apple hasnt pioneered much of anything. theyre just really good at seeing potential in others ideas and "sexying" it up nicely. except of course for their dismal work in mice ; )

as a side note. final cut pro (as im told) was originally a macromedia effort...
October 09, 2007 11:31AM
Xerox didn't exactly abandon the desigh, Steve Jobs stole the idea after a visit to Xerox PARC. There's a great program, I think its called "Success of the Nerds" which tells the story of how Microsoft, Apple and HP began at the Berkley Coputer Club and how fortuitous the whole thing really was.

And yes FCP was developed by Macromedia, my transition to FCP was much easier because I use Dreamweaver and the workflow methodology is similar.
October 09, 2007 11:39AM
yeah ok, it was a sort trade for stock deal. and xerox did try to sue apple after apple sued microsoft...

that was a great PBS show BTW - anyone who hasnt seen it, SHOULD!

just out of curiosity, how do you see FCP and dreamweaver being at all similar?
October 09, 2007 12:12PM
In the way that once you place an asset in the canvas [timeline, work area] you double click it to place it in the viewer.

All other NLE's that I work with have a preview window and a program window and if I wanted to make a change to a clip in the timeline I would do it directly there and not have to bring it into the viewer. I'm not saying that one way is better than the other, the user just needs to get used to doing it that way.

This is a similar behavior in Dreamweaver where you have to double click an asset to edit it.

It was interesting to see how these major corporations started, not by design but dumb random events.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics