OT - where is iphoto???

Posted by wayne granzin 
OT - where is iphoto???
October 08, 2007 02:02AM
ok, maybe im losing my mind, but havent macs historically shipped with iphoto?

i always zero and reinstall the OS on every new machine. i never install any of the "i" stuff simply because i dont need it. so now that i have an iphone apparently i need iphoto to get photos off the device and onto my machine.

i went to my osx install discs and there is no iphoto option.

ill be damned if im gonna drop $80 for the ilife stuff just to be able to get photos off my iphone...
Re: OT - where is iphoto???
October 08, 2007 02:07AM
Sorry to crap in your cornflakes, but iPhoto is part of iLife... pay up.

Mark
October 08, 2007 02:25AM
$80 for a bunch of hobbyist/housewife stuff i'll never use for any other reason - grrrr!
October 08, 2007 02:49AM
I was under the impression that newer Macs come with the iLife package installed.

I don't use iPhoto or iDVD either. Hate 'em.

www.derekmok.com
October 08, 2007 07:23AM
I have a strong hunch there's not a separate iLife installer on the original install OS CD/DVD. You might be able to find and install it using something like Pacifist though otherwise you might need to do an OS install. On the other hand you might find paying $79 less painful.
October 08, 2007 09:01AM
iPhoto, iMovie should come pre-installed on the Mac...ALL Macs. And Craig is right, there is a separate installer disk for them. The NEWER versions of iLife come as a new purchase, and iWeb isn't preinstalled. But, iPhoto is preinstalled. If you erased your drive and reinstalled things, then you need to look for that separate installer.

And for the record, I HATED iPhoto for the longest time and REFUSED to use it. Only with iLife '08 have I used it, and REALLY LIKED it. Finally the organizational structure inside iPhoto, and on the finder level make sense.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 08, 2007 09:37AM
I don't know where y'all have been...but iLife has been a purchase package for YEARS. It's only included as a promo package with some machines. I discuss this with resellers when purchasing a machine and usually get iLife thrown in if it's not part of the promo package. Never anticipate freebies included when you buy... you have to ask. If you don't ask...you don't get sad smiley

I don't use iPhoto / iMovie or any of the other apps but personally, I think (pound for pound - $ for $) that iDVD is the best software Apple has ever released. That app alone is WELL worth the $79. I use it everyday for client proofs / one-offs / personal VHS - SVHS - Hi8 backups / demos. Does HD DVD's as well.

Don't hate...appreciate...!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 08, 2007 10:21AM
[www.apple.com]

"Every iMac includes iLife ?08, the latest version of Apple?s award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications. With major upgrades to iPhoto, iDVD, iWeb, and GarageBand and a completely reinvented iMovie, iLife ?08 gives you amazing new ways to enjoy photos, create movies, make music, build websites, and more."

"Every MacBook comes with iLife ?08 ? an amazing suite of applications that make it easy to live the digital life. "

MacBook Pro - "iLife ?08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand), Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, iWork ?08 (30-day trial), Aperture Trial"

MacPro - "iLife ?08 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, and GarageBand)"

EVERY SINGLE MAC SHIPS WITH iLIFE...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 08, 2007 12:22PM

EVERY SINGLE MAC SHIPS WITH iLIFE...

STOP SCREAMING AT ME, Dude!? tongue sticking out smiley

Maybe NOW the newer machines all ship with iLife...but they DIDN'T ALWAYS. Then again...they are probably just separate installers.

October 08, 2007 01:01PM
i could be wrong about the whole thing - but i just always recalled seeing the ilife stuff in the dock of each new machine before i zapped them.

i could have just seen it on an imac once and simply assumed it was on all machines.

ive been through my osx install disc and the only stuff in the optional installs is ical and itunes...
October 08, 2007 01:13PM
> STOP SCREAMING AT ME, Dude!? tongue sticking out smiley
>
Then stop saying that I'm wrong. smileys with beer

Now...iLife won't be on the may system install disk...it will be a separate iLIFE disk that is green and flowery. At least in my experience...that I what I have in my drawer...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 08, 2007 02:31PM
Re: separate discs, I've seen it both ways. One of my pre-Intel machines came with the green iLife disc, but my Mac Pro only came with the OSX install DVDs -- but iLife was on there. There was an option to install iLife during the install process. The individual packages can also be found if you use a program like Pacifist.

JK

October 09, 2007 09:27AM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EVERY SINGLE MAC SHIPS WITH iLIFE...
>
> STOP SCREAMING AT ME, Dude!? tongue sticking out smiley

Hey! Check out your own signature on every post!! Talk about SCREAMING!!!
October 09, 2007 09:32AM
Hey yourself...that's an inspirational message in bold type ...not ALL CAPS...not the same thing...

October 09, 2007 10:38AM
I'm not sure but you may be able to use Image Capture to get those photos off your iPhone. Image Capture is installed in OS X

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
October 09, 2007 11:08AM
yep! thanks dean. that was indeed the solution - worked beautifully!
October 09, 2007 11:29AM
No Problem. I prefer to grab all my photos using Image Capture as it has way more control.
It even, with the right scanner will allow you to capture from a scanner. smiling smiley

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics