Making multiple conversions to HDV 1080i60 Quicktime "masters" for a presentation

Posted by aqsurf 
Making multiple conversions to HDV 1080i60 Quicktime "masters" for a presentation
October 08, 2007 10:53AM
Hi All,

I have a slew of short HDV 1080i60 Quicktimes (logged, edited, and exported as native HDV codec with FCPS2) that I now need to convert for multiple uses. I was hoping a few of you gurus out there could help me troubleshoot . . .

1.)Embedding movies in Keynote presentations, played through a new MacBook Pro, and projected out DVI and into a Sony HD projector. Full res HDV 1080i60 files stall and/or crash the playout. Apple tech suggests using their AIC. Sony tech suggests 24p projects look best out of their projectors, but I have seen bad effects from converting 1080i60 to 24p. Any ideas?

2.)Creating HD-DVDs in DVDSP to be played through the same Sony HD projector. Do any of you have any "sweet" settings in compressor to get the best HD-DVD files from HDV 1080i60 footage?

The editing is done, the workflow was successful, now the horrors of trying to show other people all the hard work begins!!

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!
Re: Making multiple conversions to HDV 1080i60 Quicktime "masters" for a presentation
October 08, 2007 02:30PM
I was just about to ask a similar question, but as for your scenario I would say for you to Quicktime export your project using "ProRess NTSC" in the Quicktime settings, then continue to compressor for exporting...but then again I'm asking questions along the same lines so don't quote that advice.

To add to your question, does anyone know of any benefits of converting clips from NTSC to ProRess NTSC, prior to color correction etc?
-Alwerj
Re: Making multiple conversions to HDV 1080i60 Quicktime "masters" for a presentation
October 09, 2007 06:28AM
Buy a Canon HV-20 from a place with a return policy and no restock fee. Open FCP and conect your camera to it. Click File "edit to tape" and export on the DV cam full quality. Hook the Canon HV-20 into the projector Via HDMI. Do your presentation, return the camera.

Done and Done
October 09, 2007 08:43AM
Wow...that suggestion is just too... well, other than the HUGE ethical issues...

Your reputation is all you really have. If you think it's okay to treat your vendors this way, then you undoubtedly will be treated similarly by your vendors and customers. It's actually true that you reap what you sow, and that karma is destined to come back and bite you twice as hard on the tushie as you did to someone else.

This might solve your immediate issues, but it will affect your reputation, and probably future jobs. If you think it's okay to do this to even a bog box retailer, then you are in for a rude awakening. I hope for your sake, it's someday soon.

deb
October 09, 2007 10:31AM
oh man. Thats why I said CHECK THE RETURN POLICY. Relax. Someone who is so fast to play the ethics card may have some of their own issues to deal with.

Treat what vendors what way? Best Buy, Costco, are major retailers are not vendors. Next, thats why the have the policys so you know what is okay and what isn't.

He asked a question, I offered a solution. You went into a diatribe on ethics for no reason without offering a solution.

Finally, not everybody here is in the biz we just use the software.

Maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions so fast.

Moderators please lock this thread. before everyone jumps on the ethics train.
October 09, 2007 10:50AM
OK guys,

This is a series issue and I am interested in PROFESSIONAL solutions. jchobani, I respect your "git er done!" attitude, but more so, I agree with deb. In the real world, of quality, deadlines, and reputation, your shortcuts end up being steps backwards . . .

Can I steer this topic back on track? The projector is a 4096x2160 reolution HD projector (Sony model SXRD). So image quality is very important.

My biggest question is this:
What is the best way to imbed HDV video into Keynote? Any Apple gurus out there know the answer to this?

many thanks
AQSURF
October 09, 2007 11:31AM
Thanks for the nod, aqsurf. I'll ask around to some of my folks who do live presentations. I don't think any of them are using HDV, but I could be mistaken.

And for the record, jchobani, you should also watch to which conclusions you jump.

Your response says much more about you than it does about me.

deb
October 09, 2007 11:35AM
AQSURF

Post this problem in the Keynote support forum over in Apple discussions. Your movie needs to be optimized for Keynote and you do this in Quicktime Pro. I'm not sure "Keynote Help" will show you how to do this though or choose what settings. Keynote will play fine with your 4K projector.

I'm closing this thread.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics