Playback issues

Posted by Aaron Zander 
Playback issues
October 11, 2007 12:14AM
ok, so I am working with gigantic tiff files on my 3.0 quad macpro, 2 gigs of ram (next pay check = more ram) and fcs2, I down resed them to prores. Before the pro res, I couldn't play back very well and assumed it was the size. But now with these MUCH smaller pro res files, playback is just as bad, as in Dropping frames like crazy. Am I missing something

Currently I'm working off a raided 600 gig fw drive through fw 800. any ideas?
Re: Playback issues
October 11, 2007 01:13AM
ok THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING. sorry don't mean to forum yell, but WOW.

Ok, so I have completely stripped the project of any resolution in the sequence settings. Did it help like it Should, no just waisted 10 minutes. I've never had this problem, ever before. Not with dvcpro hd. not with cineon 2k files (off the same drive mind you) nothing. Is there any way for me to get my read write speeds with a free app of some sort?

This is really bothersome.

thanks again

-Aaron

-Edit, got the aja tester, reading 52.2 mbss. My internal satas are aparantly only reading 54.7 mb/s. and i tossed these onto my internal sata drives. So now I am just out of ideas

edit 2, now rendering out low quality h.264's

-edit 3, LOW RES H.264's STILL GIVING ME GRIEF. What the heck guys. I don't know what it is. There's no red render, this is officially some of the lowest res footage I've worked with on this computer and off this HDD, and still issues. What is up. (by the way I am aware it's 1 am and no one is on here)
October 11, 2007 09:16AM
Sooooo - You actually tried using the internal SATA drive with no apparent difference?

>reading 52.2 mbss. My internal satas are aparantly only reading 54.7 mb/s.<

I hope that is MegaBytes per second not megabits per second? Assuming this is not a disk bandwidth issue, then it's must be some other reason you can't handle those graphics?

Are you using multiple video streams (tracks) ?
October 11, 2007 09:46AM
What's the pixel dimension of the TIFF's? While general wisdom says the 4K square limit was raised with new QuickTime engines of recent, there's been no official word, and I just wonder...

And check to see that you don't have a Capture Scratch on your system drive...

Just thoughts.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke the Audio Mixer with Option-6 !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 11, 2007 09:58AM
John Foley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sooooo - You actually tried using the internal
> SATA drive with no apparent difference?
>
> >reading 52.2 mbss. My internal satas are
> aparantly only reading 54.7 mb/s.<
>
> I hope that is MegaBytes per second not megabits
> per second? Assuming this is not a disk bandwidth
> issue, then it's must be some other reason you
> can't handle those graphics?
>
> Are you using multiple video streams (tracks) ?

Not multiple streams, I avvoidid this with the exception of the last 2 seconds which has an overlay of a graphic. but thats not even in yet. Yes I do mean megabytes.

From what I have been told this may just be ram, but To me My problems 'should' have gone away with the conversion to prores.

Images Are 22bit tiffs at 1504x1128
October 11, 2007 10:53AM
I would like to report this problem as SOLVED!!!!!

final cut, has apparantly out witted me not once but about fifteen times x 20 clips. so, I'm retiring my computer, and would like to state "DUDE IM GETTING A DELL" ok, well maybe not

heres what happned. Every time I reconnected to other lower res formats, such as the pro res or the h.264's it didn't actually do it. It said it did it, It told me it did it. But I've now moved those quicks times deep into the bowels of fake file structure hell and fcp cant find them HAHAHA i have beaten the beast. It is now playing my pro res files and running happy.

Thanks for the help

-Aaron
October 11, 2007 11:01AM
Well...yeah. If you don't want FCP to reference the master clips, TAKE THEM OFFLINE.

Only makes sense. Better if you had a separate drive with them and just take that drive offline.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 11, 2007 11:20AM
Yea, I just burried them in the following file structure (posted purely for laughs)

>gatorade>giant tiffs>burried here>xmarks the spot>try and find me>I will win fcp>shot_1.mov

But I did offline every clip multiple times going from pro res, to h.264, back to pro res, did everything concievable.

Never had this issue with offlining before. Infact I do it often, but this was the first time I did it in fcp6.
October 11, 2007 12:28PM
by the way heres the current cut as is, rough and yes the noise you see is infact on the images. We can thank bad camera techs for that

[download.yousendit.com]
October 11, 2007 12:39PM
Shane said:
Well...yeah. If you don't want FCP to reference the master clips, TAKE THEM OFFLINE.
Only makes sense. Better if you had a separate drive with them and just take that drive offline.

I'm going to threadjack a little bit here. I have all the media for a project on an internal SATA media drive and am thinking about moving it all to an external to make it a more portable project. It's easy enough to copy it all to the new drive, but I get real nervous about deleting it from the internal until I'm sure it all reconnected OK. Can I just toss the internal drive icon in the Trash to take it offline so I can be sure I'm only referencing the external files, then it will just reconnect again when I reboot? I have never put an internal drive in the trash, so want to know if this works. Is there a better way?

Scott
October 11, 2007 01:01PM
Here's what I would do

Make an obsene file structure and offline your media that way. Much like i did, this way your drive is still mounted, AND you offline your media.
October 12, 2007 06:29AM
To "offline" an internal HD (not System drive) I used Disk Utility to unmount the drive. Then launch FC and reconnect your clips to media on external drive. Save project. Then remount internal drive or restart. Good luck!

Phil Cramer
Indianapolis
October 12, 2007 09:56AM
If your file-management system on the internal drive is simple, you could use this trick I often do: After copying the files, move all the clips from the internal drive to the Trash, but don't Empty yet. Now launch the project file. If any file is still attached to the old location, they'll be offline. And if you missed any files, just move them over from the Trash.

www.derekmok.com
October 12, 2007 12:00PM
My original question was simply "is it safe to dismount an internal drive by dragging it to the trash", but I see that Phil's suggestion to do it with Disk Utility is far cleaner.

I'm not a fan of standing on my head to "fool" FCP by making bizarre directory structures. And throwing things in the trash doesn't always hide them. I've had many applications merrily find files in the Trash, and I thought I'd caught FCP doing that a time or too also. Not every time, but just enough to make me doubt it.

So I think I'll just dismount the drive to make my original files "disappear" without actually harming them. Thanks for all the ideas.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics