A Camera Question

Posted by producerking 
A Camera Question
October 16, 2007 12:47AM
Hi all--

If you will allow me, may I ask a question that I am sure has been asked a great many times in the past year or so (maybe longer).

I am a producer who has recently been awarded a modest budget feature length children's project. A new version of a fairy tale. This is the first of four such children's feature projects. The films all have distribution for foreign and domestic home video (DVD). As well foreign cable in place.

The company that is financing the projects wishes to create a small production company to produce the films. A company that owns all its' production and post production equipment. Thus the reason for the question.

What's the best camera for these projects?

Now I am a producer with considerable experience and have produced projects from $2,000 to $10 million. I have had the wonderful opportunity to working with talented D/Ps and camera packages ranging from Panavision to Arriflex to Sony 900 to Panasonic HVX-200 to the current project that is shooting the Panasonic HPX-500. I understand cameras and what each offers.

I would usually look for a D/P with a package, but the company wishes to own all its' gear.

So--

The question is what "affordable" (prosumer end) camera would be the best for shooting these four features? The budgets are very low, therefore economy is important. That said, I wish to use the best equipment possible at the best price.

I have done a great deal of research on this, but have yet to find on-line a through comparison (by real filmmakers) of the cameras available and a report of which camera produces the best results. I know that there will be favorites, different features, bells and whistles and other issues that will make one better than the other for each and every shooter. I know that the use of P&S or Red Rock adapters and primes will aid in better images. And of course I know the skill of the D/P and gaffer are all important in producing quality images.

So with all that background here is the "real" question.

I've got about $6,000 - $8,000 to spend.

What do you, the professional, recommend?

I have seen plenty of projects shot on DVX-100s and the images were great. But, as I understand it, that is a SD image. How does that compare to HDV or the HD images offered by say a Canon or JVC or Sony camera and say the Panasonic HVX-200 and the (P2 card) situation? If the images are comparable and equally as good in quality as the HD or HDV, I could buy two DVX-100Bs.

So, please let me know what you think.

Canon or Panasonic or Sony or JVC or ?

HD or SD or HDV?

1081i or 720p?

Any and everything you'd like to share.

Please forgive the long question, but I wanted to make sure you understand what I am looking for. I have always found the greatest support on the LAFCPUG website. I am sure this time will be no different.

In the end--

I just want to make good pictures and would love to hear what the real movies makers out there have to say on the subject.

Thanks
Re: A Camera Question
October 16, 2007 03:54AM
Sony has a new one coming out anytime now called the XD EXCAM which i suspect will become the one to buy for some time to come. Of course its still HDV and will have the Panasonic cheerleaders on this sight foaming at the mouth due to the much hated mpeg2 transport system.

Here's a link for an excellent review: [www.dvuser.co.uk]
October 16, 2007 05:30AM
Sorry i got sidetracked by the real world in the middle of this post.

Your budget makes the likes of the Panasonic HPX500 or the larger Sony XD cams non starters.

The HVX200 is indeed a superb camera and just about within your budget, as are the HDV options you mention. The DVX 100 shoots in 4:3 aspect ratio only, so i'd count that out in this age of widescreen TV's.
What are your camerman's preferences? I'd get him involved in the decision making if i was you.
If he wants interchangeble lenses then Canon's XLH1 or the JVC are a good choice. By the time you get extra batteries, Red Rock, Mattebox, Tripod etc you'll struggle to meet the budget with any of these cameras. I own the XHA1 which is a very nice camera and significantly cheaper than most of the others. I chose it because the Panasonic was not practical for me in the short term and i've learned to live with the shortcomings of HDV.

It could be the HVX is the one for you and certainly most people around here would suggest as much.
If you think you'll be doing lots of chroma keying its going to be better than the HDV options.
If you think you're going to be doing lots of low light stuff the new Sony (mentioned above) is going to be hard to beat.
If i was your position i'd find a company that has the HVX and the new Sony and rent both under the proviso that you'll get the rental charges deducted from whichever cam you chose to buy.
October 16, 2007 05:31AM
Hi there

this forum is predominantly editing on fcp, although people are very friendsly and helpful, but if you go here: [www.dvxuser.com] you'll find loads of people who are camera people only (or predominantly) and the forum is about cameras not editing smiling smiley

In fact this site may help with other things too (sorted my sound questions out a treat)

Jules
October 16, 2007 05:39AM
"And of course I know the skill of the D/P and gaffer are all important in producing quality images."

Id say this is much more important than what format you shoot on.
I hust finished up an ad shot on DVCPRO 50 (Similar to mini DV) and it looks better than anything Ive shot on the HVX202, simply because the lighting and camera work was brilliant.

You can get pretty much any camera besides one that shoots on HDV and youll be fine.
Maybe you can get some good deals on the PD170 or something from the Canon XL series with lenses etc included?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
October 16, 2007 02:13PM
ahh camera threads.

first off, while the DVX does shoot widescreen, as do most other DV cameras, you do want something HD capable. The HVX is a beautiful camera and extremely versatile format wise yet P2 does require a good deal of planning. If you're up to a tapeless workflow, its the way to go.

However, its not cheap and you could prob pick up two Sony HDV cameras for close to the same price. HDV also has its issues but with good production value, you wont notice them. Most of my broadcast work is shot HDV and it looks great. However, your stuck with 1080i and MPEG-2 compression, unlike the HVX.

Canon and Panasonic are prob a bit above your price range and not really worth it. Like Dom said, rent them both and see what fits your fancy. Thats what i did...
October 16, 2007 02:35PM
Canon XL H1.

Shot two features over the past 18 months using this camera. Excellent picture quality, interchangeable lenses, good in low light situations, even the sound quality is first rate.

I cannot recommend it too highly.

If you want to see and hear results, email me at harry323@pacbell.net and totter over to my place in the Hollywood Hills and take a look.

Harry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics