Export TO Powerpoint

Posted by thatfoolsean 
Export TO Powerpoint
October 17, 2007 12:51PM
Hi,

I have been searching for an answer to this question, but I can't find it anywhere. What is the best and most uncompressed way for me to export a film from Final Cut Pro 5 to embed in a Powerpoint presentation. I can only find articles on how to export from Powerpoint into Final Cut, and not the other way around. I have two short films with some titles from LiveType, and some minimal effects from Motion 1 that I would like to export from my Final Cut Pro 5 setup into Powerpoint so that they can be embedded in slides. The films are 2 minutes and a minute long respectively, and size of the files is not really a concern, though I would like to keep them each under a gig, in order to simplify transfer from my FCP station to my Powerpoint computer.

I am running a G5 with a 2X2 GHz Dual Core Xeon and 2 GB of RAM, with the Final Cut Studio 1 suite (FCP5).

Thank You,

Sean Kearney
Re: Export TO Powerpoint
October 17, 2007 02:27PM
Go to File > Export > Using QT Conversion. Then select QT movie as format and the under Use:, select LAN/Intranet. It will give you a High Quality file that will fit nicely in Powerpoint/Keynote/etc. I hope you have a recent version of Powerpoint because video integration is not too great in the older versions. Your presenting machine must have QT7 on it as well to get video playback
October 17, 2007 04:20PM
If the PowerPoint computer is a PC, let us know.

There are a whole bunch more flaming hoops to jump through if you want it to actually look good on a PC, and it depends a lot on the specs of the PC.

Otherwise, if it's a Mac, Scott has a pretty good recipe!

deb
October 17, 2007 04:58PM
So here is the issue with the presentation. It is going to be on a PC, but I don't know what type of PC because it is for a presentation at my job, and the presentation could be scheduled in any number of meeting rooms. So I don't have specs for the PC computer, but I do know that it will most likely be on a PC with Powerpoint 2003 installed on it. Why is there no uniformity with that program? Aren't files meant to be created on one machine and then brought to another?

Thank You,
Sean
October 17, 2007 06:28PM
It's not the uniformity of the program. It's how much horsepower the computer has to play back video clips. Most "office" laptops and towers are designed to be good at crunching numbers and going on the Internet. They are not tuned to playing back bandwidth-hogging video clips.

Your best bet is to go with a middle-of-the-road Windows Media File (640x480) or in a pinch, MPEG1. You should be able to get a small enough files that shouldn't choke PowerPoint.

If we can know what type of PC, how much RAM it has, what flavor of Video RAM it has (integrated or dedicated), and how much free drive space it has, we can give you a recipe that will give you the best looking video clip per the strengths or limitations of the PC.

I always recommend testing any PowerPoint presentation on the PC it is going to be presented from under the same conditions as will be expected during the presentation.

deb
October 18, 2007 01:10AM
Another thing you can do is pony up for Flip for Mac pro, or whatever version allows you to export WMVs and to the same process as above, but choose WMV from the format dropdown. Then pick a setting that is older and less compressed so the comp can play it easily.

Also make sure in your powerpoint that you save it as a powerpoint package. That way it will package the movie files in a bundle with the powerpoint itself. Otherwise the video link will be lost and no video will appear in your powerpoint, which would be bad. Test Test Test, especially on a PC
October 18, 2007 02:35AM
Just to be safe you might want to reduce the dimensions of the movie you wish to use in PP. Does it have to be full screen? I would make a nice background in PP and insert a 320x240 WMV instead of a 640x480 and before the MPEG1. MPEG1 always works but usually looks the worst and large file size.

Sorry I am not on a PC with PP but does anyone know for sure that if QT in installed on the PC that the PC will no play the QT movie. I dont think it lets you choose to import QT but it might still play it if you build the PP package on your G5. For some reason I thought this worked...

Royce
October 18, 2007 08:06AM
Flip For Mac is crucial for Powerpoint and remember to crop if your presentation cut contains various sources. Powepoints screen dimentions are larger than FCP viewer/canvas and SD frame sizes...I've just had that experience twice as a matter of fact.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics