.mov files in HD won't open in QT/FCP

Posted by Bryan Cournoyer 
.mov files in HD won't open in QT/FCP
October 26, 2007 07:34PM
Hey folks,
I am dealing with my first HD project and have a major problem. The DP shot the video on a Panasonic DVCPRO (HD) and uploaded all of the files from the P2 cards to his desktop Mac. He then transferred the files to a Lacie external drive in the .mov format so that I assume I could just drop into FCP for editing. When I attempted to open the .mov files, I got a QT window that was blank white, but with sound. All of my FCP(5) settings were set for compliance as far as I know, but nothing ever worked. Suggestions that I received were that it was a QT codec issue and I just needed the right plugin, but after a huge search, I still haven't found the one. What I couldn't understand was that if QTPro(latest) couldn't open it, what chance would FCP5 have? Could it be a question of file integrity? Did something go wrong in the transfer to the hard drive? Any help will allow me to sleep through the night without screaming and ripping my hair out. Thanks for ANY help.
Re: .mov files in HD won't open in QT/FCP
October 26, 2007 07:45PM
What version of FCP is HE running?

Who suggested those suggestions? The DVCPRO HD codec is part of FCP, it should be there when you installed. Do a spotlight search for DVCPRO HD. They should be in your Hard Drive>Library>Quicktime folder. Do you have any?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 26, 2007 09:28PM
I believe that he's running FCP 6. I do have that codec.
October 26, 2007 09:56PM
It's not a file integrity problem. I saw and heard the same white window with my fcp 5 recently. I believe the trick for you is to view it in your fcp 5 not with QT. Drag it into fcp or import it if necessary.
I've since upgraded to fcp 5.1 and this somehow upgraded my QT so I can now view the same QT file residing in the same LaCie.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
October 26, 2007 10:09PM
The first thing I did was to try to was drop the .mov file into the bin (Sequence1) and all I got was the viewer displaying white with sound. That's how I found out that it wouldn't work. Because I had the sound, I assumed that it was a codec problem with the visual information.
October 26, 2007 10:27PM
Have you tried importing it into fcp5 rather than dragging it?

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
October 26, 2007 10:54PM
No. I haven't yet. Will try and post results.

Thanks again for the help.
October 27, 2007 12:44PM
Well now I've tried it and I'm still getting the audio only, but the screen has now just gone entirely black. Any other ideas?
October 28, 2007 05:11AM
Try this

Select the window and hit shift W a couple of time
October 28, 2007 06:37AM
Jay's alluding to the idea that it may be your FCP viewing options that are at fault.

at the top of the viewer and the canvas, there are 3 little drop-down menus.
check the 3rd along, looks like a little view-finder.

you want the top section to be "image" or "image & wireframe"

and the 3rd (?) section to be "RGB"

simply select those by clicking on them.

hope that's it,
nick
October 28, 2007 10:29AM
> Jay's alluding to the idea that it may be your FCP viewing options that are at fault.

I'd thought of that as well, but Bryan had specifically said that QuickTime Player won't play the thing either...which would rule out FCP settings as the issue. Missing codec is still the top suspect. But go ahead and try the FCP settings anyway.

www.derekmok.com
October 29, 2007 03:49AM
Nope, my FCP is on image and RGB. Looking around online and assuming it is a codec issue, here is a list of the codecs in my QT Library file:

AppleHDVCodec
Applw IntermediateCodec
DesktopVideoOut
DivXDecoder
FCPUncompressed422
Flip4Mac WMV Advanced
Flip4Mac Export
Flip4Mac Import
IMXCodec
Livetype
DVCPROHDCodec.component
DVCPROHDMuxer.component
DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock.component
DVCPROHDVideoOutputCodec.component

I know this is quite a list, but does anybody see anything missing?
October 29, 2007 04:40AM
I did find out that the files are DVCPRO HD 1080i60 if this helps anyone help me out. Honestly, thank you greatly to anyone who's trying.
October 29, 2007 05:06AM
I just tried to open it in MPEG Streamclip and still no picture. I'm going nuts.
October 29, 2007 07:56AM
I tried to open an .mxf file that had been renamed with a .mov and it gave me similar results.
Could your guy have done that?
October 29, 2007 12:07PM
I think that is probably what happened, but I still can't find anything to open the file correctly. Shouldn't one of the codecs I have at least do that? Like Flip4Mac?
October 29, 2007 12:40PM
How about posting a clip up for us to test?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 29, 2007 12:49PM
The XDCam transfer tool is used for unwrapping .mxf's and re-wrapping them as .mov's. Have you tried re-naming them as .mxf's and importing them that way?
October 29, 2007 02:02PM
I tried the renaming trick, but still nothing. Should I upload to an FTP site and drop the address here for the forum to look at?
October 29, 2007 02:22PM

Should I upload to an FTP site and drop the address here for the forum to look at?

I don't know about anyone else...but I would.

October 29, 2007 06:47PM
So, I've tried to upload it to as site andit has taken 3 hours for 50% upload, so maybe I'll try it overnight. We've tried the files on a computer with FCP6 and everything ran fine which leads me back to the fact that the problem is with my computer set up. Everything opened on my friends computer fine, but I still get the white screen in QT and a black screen in FCP5.
October 29, 2007 07:06PM
I bet they are Apple ProRes files.

October 29, 2007 07:09PM
Do you know what I need to crack these files open?
October 29, 2007 07:16PM

I bet they are Apple ProRes files.

My thoughts exactly... or a corrupt CODEC

Bryan, please open one in QTpro and press Apple (command) + i or goto window>show movie inspector...

What CODEC does it say it is in the Inspector?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 29, 2007 07:40PM
Bryan to check your QTpro DVCproHD component is working could you download this clip and test if it works?

[www.loudandfast.co.uk]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 29, 2007 08:03PM
Excellent choice of files, Bennie thumbs down smileys with beer eye popping smiley cool smiley hot smiley !!!!!

October 29, 2007 08:13PM
That worked! It opened right up. It played a little slow/skippy, but hopefully that will help someone to figure out the problem. Thanks!

The QT Inspector info is:

Format: DVCPRO HD (1080i60), 1280x1080, (1888x1062), Millions
16 bit Integer (Little Endian), 48khz

FPS: 29.97

Data Rate: 118.15 mbits/s

Thanks for all of your help everybody.
October 29, 2007 08:14PM
LOL yeah it's one of those early HVX200 example downloads that you just don't want to throw away! grinning smiley

October 29, 2007 08:30PM
Well at least it isn't a corrupt CODEC. Strike 1!

If the CODEC on your clips are as you say DVCPRO HD (1080i60), 1280x1080, (1888x1062), Millions, 16 bit Integer (Little Endian), 48khz

Then there is another issue going on here for which a clip of your material might help us figure out what it is.

Are your examples up yet? Or will you be uploading them overnight?

PS That clip plays slow cus its in slow-motion! grinning smiley

October 29, 2007 08:40PM
Great. I will upload a zip file and post it here overnight so that everyone can check it out in the morning and develope more solution information.

Cheers all,
-Bryan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics