Got Leopard? Post your problems/joys/thoughts here

Posted by Michael Horton 
Re: Got Leopard? Post your problems/joys/thoughts here
December 20, 2007 04:07PM
I'm having problems with video but not sure if it's Leopard related. Video drops out and picture is black halfway through some of my clips. Any thoughts as to why this might be happening? Anyone else experiencing this?
Re: Apple the new microsoft?
December 20, 2007 05:52PM
Harry

Stir it up all you like!

I'm getting rather tired of second rate software releases from Apple, the difference between Apple & MS is closing rapidly which is all the worse for us...

Apple should be releasing 10.5.2 in January according to "rumours" so I hope they have addressed the serious networking issues and the annoying Quicktime 30" fullscreen and HD problems along with the weird screen flashes that some people have experienced!

Grrrr

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 20, 2007 06:34PM
If one can believe the Wall St Journal article this seems to be much to do about nothing.

[online.wsj.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 20, 2007 11:16PM
With all due respect, Mike, I disagree that it's nothing. Journalistic ethics and such aside, note that the site's owner, Ciarelli , is a Business and Journalism major. As such, he knows the value of his site, and that simply "closing it down" is a huge loss of revenue, as it can be sold. Therefore, Apple paid him off.

The real issue, though, has to do with appearance and expectation. Apple has always promoted itself as a 'friendlier" alternative to the PC and Microsoft, but with recent events, the roles seem to have switched. Apple dealing a heavy-blow to journalists certainly doesn't support the idea of "friendly."

Apple continues advertising that it's different, that it's friendly, and Apple itself tacitly plays along with the Mac true believers' phrase "evil empire" when referring to Microsoft. Microsoft has regular leaks, speculation and outright bashing minute by minute, but i don't recall them ever doing something like this. Of course, they might steal your patent, but that's another issue.

So, it seems the shoe is on the other hoof, so to speak.

And you know, that if this were in another context - that if, say, the current Bush Administration were to shut down a site or sue a journalist because of a leak, I seriously doubt anyone would call it "much ado about nothing."

Perceptions, expectations and prejudices weigh heavily in Apple's favor because of the True Believers, and it should not, is all I'm saying. Macs are expensive relative to other computers, and in paying a premium for a computer, we shoud receive a premium piece of equipment. With Leopard, we are not, and again find ourselves as unwitting beta-testers. But Apple gets more patience and better treatment from its users because of the perception that it's not "evil," despite a high expectation. Doesn't really make sense, but there it is.

Apple also gets off the hook with the ThinkSecret matter because of its "friendly" user base. The real problem is an internal one on Apple's side - that they have someone leaking information - and any good journalist is going to jump on that like it's raw meat. Jobs said he'd take it to the Supreme Court. Been done, to little effect. The Sup Ct tends to side with a free press. But Jobs saying that is hardly friendly.

All I'm saying is to agree with the article that promotes the idea that with Gates retiring and Microsoft likely having some form of policy shift under new leadership, and now all the problems with Leopard and Apple's shenanigans with the iPhone (the overpricing and the lockout of hacked iPhones), that it looked like the tides were turning.

Thanks,

EDIT: here's the link to the original article:

[www.news.com]

HarryD
December 21, 2007 12:26AM
I'm not going to speculate further than what the WSJ prints. Waste of time. Fun, but waste of time. Nick won the suit pure and simple. First amendment rights are alive and well for bloggers. He said he wanted to quit the site and move on, and so I believe him. He pockets some cash so good for him. Assuming he did pocket some cash. Not sure why he would pocket some cash as it seemed a dead issue, but it sounds like it.

Whatever perception one has about Apple as a result of all this is what one wants to have. No one likes the big boys going after the little boys. The big boys usually win. In this case they didn't. The little boys won. As far as I can tell. And if you believe what you read.

As for Leopard, its problems are really not much different than what always happens after an OS upgrade. We just forget. As for the iPhone? Well, cant say that was real smart. But the things are still selling, aren't they?

Look, no one I now who makes their living using Macs cares a lick about Steve Jobs, Apple or buys a Mac simply to support Apple. We buy them cause they work for what we need them to work for. They might not work as well as we like sometimes, but my car doesn't either. Nor does my washer and dryer. Even the Mac evangelists (True Believers, who don't much frequent this forum) defend the Mac, not so much because of Steve Jobs or the Apple culture, but because they would appear stupid in their choice of purchase. We all defend what we choose to purchase.

Harry, do you really care about the Apple culture? If they become evil then we will care. They are not evil. Just corporate.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Leopard Issues (Apple the new microsoft?)
December 21, 2007 11:35AM

As for Leopard, its problems are really not much different than what always happens after an OS upgrade.

I remember many of the incompatibilities of previous OS updates way back as far as System 7 but as far as incompetence goes Apple has really messed up this time.

Basic things that Tiger handles perfectly are just not working correctly or at all with Leopard and these are not small things either.

These issues are not just on updated systems but on new out of the box Macs with no third party software as well.

Bad bad Apple...

As for the iPhone...

The price point is so totally wrong. Especially as other Phone manufacturers have similar handset prices but because they aren't locked to a network, the network providers can give them away for free on contract due to the mass market competition.

This is not a DRM issue like iTunes so surely is anticompetitive and gives no choice for the consumer? In France and Germany they have legal unlocked iPhones but charge almost double for them! The other Service providers all have the technology to provide the same service so what gives?

The reason is that Apple make the most desirable products - and they know it! They market them as well as the best companies and everyone is a sucker for style...

...and funtionality (something that is slipping thumbs up )

I'm glad Apple are doing well. We don't see the sort of stories of yesteryear when Apple had to be bailed out by MS or were even touting the end of Mac.

However, I do believe that Apple would be better delivering slightly less to their coffers and shareholders (how much is enough anyway?) and continue to be renowned for perfection in user interface and product design that works, just works and doesn't have us all wishing for a fix to something that should have worked out of the box!

They might not work as well as we like sometimes, but my car doesn't either.

Good call, except that if you bought a new car (or any product for that matter) and it didn't work you would take it back and they would give you a new one that did, or fix the problem and apologise for the inconvenience.

Apple are doing neither. Yet in typical MS style knowingly selling what is effectively defective software and relying on the consumer to grin and bear it until they release an update.

Bad bad naughty Apple

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Leopard Issues (Apple the new microsoft?)
December 21, 2007 11:48AM
> The reason is that Apple make the most desirable products - and they know it! They market
> them as well as the best companies and everyone is a sucker for style...

Good points, Ben...but there's such an easy solution for this.

Don't buy the damn iPhones!

If multi-millionaire corporate types want to buy a $600 (now $400, I guess?) cell phone. let them. People should stop bitching about prices on CDs, cell phones, PDAs and other "lifestyle" products. Companies will only charge those prices if the product sells. Neo Geos never sold well, nor did laserdiscs. These aren't necessities, so if they're too expensive, don't buy them. What bugs me is the hypocrite who shells out $600 for the first-run iPhones and then blames Apple for overpricing them. Ever heard of supply and demand?

I was happier with my $40 Nokia phone. It died a month ago and I got a Samsung replacement that I loathe. It makes plenty of noise when low on batteries just to wake me up at 3AM in the morning, but I can't hear the phone conversations! Style over substance is the order of the day. Ask the Mighty Mouse.

As for Leopard, it'll probably be another two years before I upgrade. Many people in here have noted, correctly, that an OS upgrade is useless if you don't need the shiny new features. I was on Panther up until around July this year. I just didn't need 90 per cent of Tiger's features (Spotlight, Expose). Widgets and FCP5/QuickTime 7 compatibility were the only things that drove me to finally go Tiger. I was perfectly happy with Panther before that.

If we want Apple to pay more attention to the first version of a new OS, we need to punish Apple by withholding our money rather than buying Leopard just because it's there. Otherwise what's Apple's incentive for making that first version better?

www.derekmok.com
Re: Leopard Issues (Apple the new microsoft?)
December 21, 2007 11:56AM

Don't buy the damn iPhones!

BUT I NEEEEEEEED ONE!!!

Well actually I don't but I really WAAANT one. Damn Apple crack...

Unfortunately I'm on contract 'til mid next year and stuck with my Nokia e65 which isn't bad but isn't an iPhone...

Waaaaaaaa

I couldn't live without Spotlight its blimmin ace!

Re: What does Leopard actually do for FCS2- except frustrate it??
December 26, 2007 01:08PM
While Leopard shipped with my new MacBook Pro and has shown no problems...I am still very nervous about doing the instal on my Mac Pro running OS 10.4.11. Is it safe yet? Any suggestions for installation at this time or should I hold off awhile longer?
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
December 27, 2007 01:22AM
Just heard this one for wireless (airport) problems in Leopard

"One thing you could check. Look in HD > System > Library > Extensions and see if there is a file AppleAirPort2.kext.
If there is drag it to the trash and empty the trash.

This file is left over from Mac OSX10.4.x and interferes with wireless connections after Mac OS X 10.5 is installed."

Hope this helps someone. Preferably Ben, since he seems to be in significant pain over there. drinking smiley

January 01, 2008 11:12PM
Thanks Jude but no joy here as I have neither AppleAirPort2.kext or AppleAirPortFW.kext on my system... sad smiley boo hoo.

January 12, 2008 03:03AM
I love the mosaic transitions wish it was a plugin in FCP 2 can we have it can we can we huh huh?
time to upgrade?
January 18, 2008 09:29AM
I'm running FCP 4.5 with Leopard... barely. The editing program works fine on start-up, then after a few dozen actions, feels like molasses. I've addressed all the lacpug suggestions for slow function, all to no avail. Is there inherent compatibility, here? Would springing for the upgrade to FCP6 solve my problem, or is it unrelated?
January 28, 2008 01:22PM
Did a write up on this a while back:

[bscenefilms.blogspot.com]
Re: time to upgrade?
January 29, 2008 09:33AM
"Would springing for the upgrade to FCP6 solve my problem"

Don't do it. I'm having the EXACT same problem with 10.5 & FCP6. I just went back to Tiger.

You're on a PPC yeah? I think there is an issue with PPC/10.5/fcp6 for some (all?). My 10.5 & fcp6 were both clean installs. The sluggish-ness occurs with both updated 5.0-6.0 projects AND projects stating fresh in 6.0

I think that Apple is definitely not looking back towards the PPCs/G5s for the 'pro apps'.
February 19, 2008 12:39PM
RIGHT THATS IT!

Damn Apple and their less than impressive update!

Although the wireless issue seems to be sorted on the MacBookPro and FCP runs fine on all my Macs...

I just got back and installed all the updates on my Dual G5 PPC and they STILL HAVEN'T sorted out the quicktime player issue of shearing video and choppy playback on higher than 1920x1080 ie fullscreen on my 30" at 2560x1600!!!!

Switch to Tiger no issues with fullscreen

back to Leopard grrrrrrrr!

This is so annoying because it means I have to switch resolutions to watch fullscreen playback in Quicktime player!!!

Also those weird random colour flashes have now changed to white.

COME ON APPLE DON'T BE A MICROSOFT WANNABE!!!

GRRRRRR

oh and did I mention... GRRRRR!

*spit-froth-at-mouth-jibber*

I think that Apple is definitely not looking back towards the PPCs/G5s for the 'pro apps'.

I am getting the feeling it isn't limited to the proapps....

February 27, 2008 12:15PM
G5 Dual 2.5, Kona 2, 5.5 Gb Ram, Final Cut Studio 2.

Backed up using Carbon Copy Cloner, reformatted, clean install. (OS, then FCS from discs)
Test 1, everything works fine except Compressor. Program boots but when I export to compressor, nothing shows up, the program won't allow me to manually drag and drop any movie into it. Lots of grayed out menus
Reinstalled FCS, Compressor Still Doesn't work. No more time to F*** with it, I need to work.

I saw that someone else haas had a similar problem, does anyone know of an actual fix?
February 27, 2008 12:24PM
If you did an archive and install it wont work. You have to re-install from original disks.

[support.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 27, 2008 07:04PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you did an archive and install it wont work.
> You have to re-install from original disks.
>
> [support.apple.com]

Was This the answer to my previous post or someone elsesconfused smiley?
Anonymous User
February 27, 2008 07:18PM
Was This the answer to my previous post or someone elses

It was answer to:
G5 Dual 2.5, Kona 2, 5.5 Gb Ram, Final Cut Studio 2.

Backed up using Carbon Copy Cloner, reformatted, clean install. (OS, then FCS from discs)
Test 1, everything works fine except Compressor. Program boots but when I export to compressor, nothing shows up, the program won't allow me to manually drag and drop any movie into it. Lots of grayed out menus
Reinstalled FCS, Compressor Still Doesn't work. No more time to F*** with it, I need to work.

I saw that someone else haas had a similar problem, does anyone know of an actual fix?

February 27, 2008 07:46PM
This was not an archive and install. I started from scratch using my original DVDs.
March 31, 2008 11:12AM
I have now installed Leopard four times on my macbook pro and keep getting the same issue. When I shut my Macbook Pro to use only my 30 in. Mac display my Computer stops responding. Sometimes the Display does come alive, but only in the dual monitor mode, so there is no menu bar or dock. When I open the display on the Macbook Pro again the screen is either completely black or there is a window telling me to restart my Mac.

God, I wish I read Derek's bit of advise on waiting two years before installing a new OS! Leopard for me has been a @#$%& kitty!
March 31, 2008 12:10PM
That "@#$%&" makes what I said sound a lot worse... also "@#$%&" doesn't rhyme too well with kitty.

So, I just spent an hour with Apple Care jumping through hoops only to be told at the end of it that Apple is aware of the problem and that there isn't currently a work around for dealing with it. Their recommendation: Don't close the lid of the Macbook Pro and call us in a month to see if we've fixed the problem.

So I guess that "@#$%&" may actually sum up my sentiments about Leopard better than the word I actually used!
April 06, 2008 01:57AM
Well, I don't use any fancy video hardware, but for me Leopard (the desktop version) has been a delight, running on both MacPro and PB G4. FCP/Aperture/CS3, that's pretty much all the big apps I use.

I have had some significant problems with the Leopard Server - that's what lafcpug.org is running on:
- The upgrade from Apache 1.3 to Apache 2 causes many issues, not so much with the web sites breaking as much as with the server either not starting at all (DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR SERVER FROM 10.4 to 10.5 - which will keep your Apache at 1.3 - AND THEN UPGRADE APACHE TO 2.0!)

- Apple supplies php5 now, but it is a very, very plain vanilla version and it is almost impossible to add other modules to it. (I just now switched from Apple's php to the one compiled by Marc Liyanage -- again not a simple switch like it used to be - hopefully that will work better and not break anything)

- Using the Mail service to serve mail to multiple domains is broken in the Server Admin too, you need to add them all manually in the terminal window.

Those have been the problems I've been dealing with since 10.5, things seem a lot more stable now with 10.5.3. And as you have been able to tell, the server HAS been pretty reliable. I'm just not sure how much I trust it ;-)

In messing around with Apache and php today, I realized there are now "QUAD BINARY" applications: four different versions enclosed in a single application:
-- 64-bit Intel (Xserve/MacPro)
-- 32-bit Intel (MacBooks - I think the latest MacBookPros are 64bit though)
-- 64-bit PPC (older Xserves and PowerMac Pros)
-- 32-bit PPC (Powerbooks, etc)

There are not too many 64-bit applications yet, but I can just imagine what a coding disaster this must be, and why:
-- FinalCutPro is not yet 64-bit.
-- Apple dropped 64-bit Carbon.
-- The Adobe CS4 Suite will not be 64-bit.

I think many of the upgrade problems (and I have never seen one with as many problems as this one) are coming from Apple trying to move everyone to the latest and greatest: 64-bits on Intel, so they can simplify this mess they have now.

// Hermosawave Internet
// Internet Design and Hosting for Creative Business
April 23, 2008 02:11AM
Hi there!

So far so good until yesterday...
Now I get the following message:

Cannot launch Java application.
Uncaught exception in main method:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
javax.security.sasl.Sasl.setSaslServerFactory(Ljavax/
security/sasl/SaslServerFactorywinking smileyV

When I press quit to exit the message it reappears again and again...

I reinstalled Java. No success. Do I have to reinstall the system?

Program: OSX 10.5.2
Processor: 2 GHz PowerPC G5
Memeory: 4 GB DDR SDRAM

Do I have to add I am at the end of long documentary editing project...

/Maria
April 29, 2008 10:23PM
My daughter just installed Leopard, and then Final Cut Pro 6 on her white MacBook. Leopard was an upgrade; FCP was a new install.

The symptom: Whenever you click the mouse anywhere in FCP, the entire screen goes completely blank (that is to say, black, not a blue screen; no dock, no anything). The screen comes back up when you click the mouse outside of where the FCP window would be if you could see it.

Thinking that it might be a Leopard issue (or maybe a feature), I checked to see if this happens in any other application. It does not.

Anybody else have this problem? Suggested cure?
April 30, 2008 02:09AM
My first bet is that you have External Video set to the main Desktop. And if your playhead has nothing to show yet, it'd be a black screen. Try pressing APPLE-F12 to turn off External Video. If that doesn't work, press CONTROL-U to gather up FCP's windows.

www.derekmok.com
May 02, 2008 06:39PM
Sorry, I have nothing bad to report about Leopard. But, we didn't upgrade to Leopard.

The current project I'm on was cut on Avid Meridians (I believe the PCs are old 386s - remember those? 4 hours just to export a 20 minutes reel)

The VFX for the project are now coming in as TGA files.

So the company bought a brand new Mac Pro system with 8 processors, 6 gigs of RAM, FCS2, and the BlackMagic Design Multibridge Pro to hook up to the 1080p HDTV via HDMI. I import image sequences of the TGA files into QTPro and export them out as full 1080p Apple Pro Res (HQ) movies. I then load them up into a sequence in FCP6 to watch on the 47" panel.

Everything works perfectly: Final Cut Pro, Compressor, and DVD Studio Pro (haven't done any work on SoundTrack Pro yet.)

When I first worked on Leopard, though, I thought, that new "visual" finder format they have is crazy and who would ever use that? It looks way cool, but you have to re-learn how to use Finder with it and it seems harder to locate the files you're looking for.

Well, after a month, we discovered the perfect use for it. There are about 5,956 Production Stills from the show (3 movies filmed all together at once) - now copied onto the Mac Pro.

The new Leopard "visual" finder makes it a breeze to quickly fly through all the folders and flip through the pictures when looking for possibilities for the posters.

I move the finder window over to the 47" HDTV and maximize it so the Producers can come upstairs and view all the photos quickly and easily.
May 02, 2008 10:13PM
Are you saying you went from a 386 to an Octocore? That must have been mindblowing! Total quantum leap. That wins my prize for the most impressive upgrade bump so far. smiling smiley

May 02, 2008 10:23PM
386!?!?!? I'd replaced my old rickety PC around 2002 and even then it was a 486! 33kHz speed, I think...if you're on "Turbo" mode. I think it was 7kHz if not. And around 250MB of internal storage. About one RAM stick's worth. Running MS-DOS, which I loved, and the option for Windows 3.1, if I remember right.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics