color correction plugins for fcp 5.1
October 26, 2007 09:49PM
I have fcp 5.1 so I don't have the supermarvelous fcs Color application. Yet I want to do color correcting beyond what the fcp 3-way filter can do. For one example, I'd like to be able brighten highlights without brightening the whole upper third register. (For some uses the 3-way filter is perfect; for others it's as crude as a 3-band graphic equalizer would be.) Someone here mentioned a plugin "Colorist" but I find nothing with that name. Are there good plugins for enhancing fcp 5.1's color correcting abilities?

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Re: color correction plugins for fcp 5.1
October 26, 2007 10:06PM
There are a ton of free and also very expensive plug-ins out there. Perhaps what you were thinking of was Colorista http://redgiantsoftware.stores.yahoo.net/magicbulletcolorista.html

I also like The Grading Sweet (Pro 2)
http://www.thegradingsweet.com/main/HOME.html , which now includes manual trims for shadows, midtones, highlights, saturation, red, green and blue on every filter.

As for brightening just the top highlights, you can do this in FCP using the 3 way CC under the 'Limit Effect' section at the bottom of the 3 way CC window. Click the small black triangle to access the extra menu, then use the dropper to select the colour(s) you want to lift. Then lift em. If you shold shift when you use the dropper the second time it will add to your current selection. Use the final/matte/source button below the dropper to see to refine your selection.

October 26, 2007 10:09PM
Colorista.

www.redgiantsoftware.com

I use it and love it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 26, 2007 10:18PM
Great thanks for these answers.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
October 26, 2007 10:19PM
Not cheap, but perhaps necessary.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
October 29, 2007 09:43PM
Thank you for revealing the treasures below the little black triangle.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Helvetica and Leopard
December 03, 2007 06:25AM
from MacWorld. Unbelievable.

"Yes, if you want to pull Apple?s version of the font and replace it with your older Type 1 versions of Helvetica, you can?t?the OS won?t let you."

[www.macworld.com]

HarryD
December 05, 2007 07:14PM
Shane,

What's the difference between Colorista and the 3-Way CC in FCP? Does it require rendering?
Do you use Color? And if so, how do they compare?
December 05, 2007 07:58PM
For the difference between Colorista and 3-way Color Corrector:

[prolost.blogspot.com]

I Have yet to use Color. But Color gives you a LOT more tools. Those don't compare. Far more features in COLOR.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics