O.T. Looking to Upgrade my Mac

Posted by Barry 
O.T. Looking to Upgrade my Mac
November 01, 2007 05:33PM
Hi Everyone, I am ready to ask my employer for a replacement for my G4 Quicksilver, dual 1 gig. Below is the currently offered Mac Pro, to which I would add another gig of ram and a couple of SATA Hds for capture.

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon ?Woodcrest? processors
1GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1
16x double-layer SuperDrive

My question is: Is this a good time to buy this computer or are there changes coming up real soon that will make this just another upgrade project?

I know, I know...everytime you buy a computer, it's obsolete by the time you unpack it and plug it in. But I've been reading that Intel has new chips in the works and just noticed that there is a Mac Event coming up in January. Knowing that Apple likes to wait and "surprise" us all with new stuff at these events. Will they "surprise" us in January?
I don't overwhelming needs here as I only edit in dv, but don't want to get caught on the other side of the closing door. Also, is this a good video card for running 2 20-24" monitors
Thanx Barry
Re: O.T. Looking to Upgrade my Mac
November 01, 2007 07:24PM
No need for a MacPro if all that is going in it is DV. A Macbook will handle it just fine. Or Macbook Pro. They just released updates to both today. Macworld is generally not the show new MacPros are introduced. They often jut throw them out when they are ready to throw them out. Could be anytime.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 01, 2007 08:46PM
That's the octocore, right? If you're just doing DV/HDV that will last you a long time into the future and be fast at the same time. If I were you I would give it more RAM and, if you can afford it, the better graphics card, but both these can be added later.

Actually, maybe add the RAM now. The OS takes quite a bit of running by itself and you'd be better off with 2 gig if possible.

Personally I like to work on a tower with lots of screen real-estate and room for internal drives.

November 01, 2007 09:04PM
Definately up the memory to 4GB+ for HD work the OS will take at least 0.5GB or more

Don't buy the memory from Apple its VERY expensive.

[www.crucial.com]

or UK

[www.crucial.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics