Modestly OT AppleCare?

Posted by Kozikowski 
Modestly OT AppleCare?
November 02, 2007 12:47PM
They don't come right out and say this, but the first time you dent the corner of your PowerBook by dropping it, you no longer have AppleCare.

The AppleCare Agreement is crystal clear they don't cover drops or accidental damage, so everything that goes wrong after that will be blamed on the fall, yes?

If the AppleCare evaporated, I'm perfectly willing to tear into the machine and try to fix stuff myself, but I've been reluctant to do this on my "new" machine.

The machine still works just fine and the first thing I did (after I stopped whimpering) was Image the System Drive and do a data backup.

Koz
Re: Modestly OT AppleCare?
November 02, 2007 02:27PM
Well...we have a 3 year old PowerBook that's had a dent in the corner since is was about 6 months old that's had 2 AppleCare claims on it since the dent. One was for a bad screen and the other was a recent DOA hard drive.

No one at out local Apple Store tried to tell us that the AC was null and void because of the dent. Both repairs were made under the AppleCare agreement.

I even know one guy who sent in a PB with a dead hard drive to get it replaced under AppleCare. His diapered daughter had previously sat on the screen, breaking the hinge. He didn't even try to make a claim on the hinge, he only wanted his HD replaced.

When it came home, both had been repaired at no additional cost.

Who's giving out the AppleCare advice in your neighborhood?

deb
November 02, 2007 04:26PM
<<<Who's giving out the AppleCare advice in your neighborhood? >>>

Nobody said those words. I'm trying to predict the worst case scenario.

And yes, my screen is starting to act funny......

Koz
November 02, 2007 09:49PM
>>I'm trying to predict the worst case scenario.
<<

lol. That's totally your sig, Koz.

November 02, 2007 10:08PM
Not only is the glass half empty, but through evaporation, contamination, breakage, and theft, I expect it to get a lot worse.

Koz
November 02, 2007 10:44PM
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be. Engineer answer. Nuff said.

Koz, you have never been, and never will be, a negative influence. Get used to it.

Scott
November 02, 2007 10:59PM
Perfectly good cover, blown to smitherines.

Koz
November 02, 2007 11:26PM
you're welcome winking smiley
November 03, 2007 08:56AM
Kozikowski Wrote:

<<<And yes, my screen is starting to act funny......>>>

Funny strange or funny Ha-Ha?!

I didn't say this in my earlier post because it wasn't my computer with the dent, it's the technogeek's. Now he's home and he says it's fine to share....

His hard drive blew up 30 days after his AppleCare expired. He was wavering between taking it in to the Apple Store or making the repair himself.

Since he's been on a long spate of traveling for work, he decided to just let Apple do it and pay for it. He did sign up for ProCare on the spot so he could get first-on-the-bench treatment.

When I went in last week to pick it up, there was no charge. AppleCare had expired, and the Apple Store employee who took in the repair knew that. There was no attempt on our part to "hope they wouldn't notice".

It was under Apple's discretion as to how to charge for it, and for whatever reason, they decided that they wouldn't charge him.

That's our story.

deb
November 03, 2007 10:15AM
No, not funny ha, ha.

The bottom of the screen is getting blotchy-dim like the tube back there is starting to die and the high voltage manager chip must be at the bottom middle edge because it's making buzzy noises that change with screen brightness. The buzz goes away when I press gently on the screen.

I've never seen any web site that claims you could fix a PB screen like you can an iBook. I've taken my iBook screen apart down to microphone, antennas, and high voltage tubes. It's not that hard. But this....

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics