Problems capturing.

Posted by Robert 
Problems capturing.
November 09, 2007 11:20AM
Hello All!

Thanks in advance to anyone reading this and for any advice anyone can give me. I am STUCK!!

I shot a bunch of miniDV Pal on a Panasonic HVX-200(the P2 HD camera-but just shooting miniDVpal). Now I am trying to capture these tapes with my little Panasonic NV-GS250 miniDV Pal camera.

I am using external lacie d2 Firewire 7200rpm harddrives for editing with my powerbook g4 on FCP HD4.5. I have all settings set at DV-PAL, apple firewire dv pal.

THE PROBLEM: EVery 15-30 seconds FCP stops the capture and tells me that frames were dropped. I do not see any dropped frames. This is occuring in the middle of long takes in different places on the tape. It is impossible to work like this! I have to digitize 35 hours of footage!!!!!!

Thank you!

All the best!
Cheers,
Robert
Re: Problems capturing.
November 09, 2007 07:38PM
Can you try capturing using the original camera? Dropped frames issues can be a deep dank well of loneliness - here's a couple of things to try..

Dropped frame warnings

November 10, 2007 03:31AM
Hi Jude,

thanks for your response. No unfortunately I do not have the original camera. I would have to rent the same model (but different actual camera) but I am doing this with no budget - too much money to be digitizing 35 hours of stuff.

Cheers,
Robert
November 10, 2007 09:42AM
If you don't see any actual dropped frames, try turning off the warning -- User Preferences, Upon dropped frames -- Warn after Capture. FCP can sometimes be overly sensitive towards dropped frames and stop the capture even if the image looks just fine. Not something I'd usually recommend, but it can get you out of a jam. If you use this method, make sure you don't capture too much footage per clip, and scrutinize the resulting clips closely to make sure no dropped frames are visible.

www.derekmok.com
November 11, 2007 11:44PM
might also be worth checking your timecode on the captured clip.

find an easy to identify frame towards the end of the clip.
a shot change is ideal.
copy the timecode from the TC field in the viewer,
paste it in a TC field in the L&C window,
and hit "go to in point" (Shift i will do the same thing)
the tape should wind up on exactly the same frame.

nick
November 19, 2007 12:04PM
Robert,

I am having the exact same problem.
Did you get it resolved?
If so, please let me know what you did to do so.

Derekmok,

I have turned off every warning in the preferences... this is not the solution. The warning I am getting starts like this...
"Capture encountered a problem reading the data on your source tape..."

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
trucks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics