Major Thanks!!!!!!

Posted by camshaft 
Major Thanks!!!!!!
November 17, 2007 04:46PM
I'm pretty sure it was Shane Ross who posted this tip. If I'm crediting the wrong person, please forgive me.

I just got my USB to SATA/IDE power/connecter kit with my 200GB bare HD, and am archiving some material. Unbelievable!! $12 for the kit. $50 for a HD which is purring away, happy as you please.

My girlfriend is blinking her eyes in shock, "But, what if you drop it? Don't you need the enclosure?" Nope, just give me a plain ole hard drive, and I'm good to go.

Thanks very much!

Cameron Young
Re: Major Thanks!!!!!!
November 17, 2007 06:41PM
I'm sure it was me. I am using that kit right now to archive more P2.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 17, 2007 11:08PM
Cameron - where do you buy it?
November 18, 2007 04:08AM
man I'm trying to get my boss to buy like 4 of them for emergency repairs, and cloning.
November 18, 2007 08:50AM
Could you post a link to this? I'm looking for one too.

Mark
November 18, 2007 01:52PM
Here's the link:

[www.geeks.com]

For hard drives? I bought one from the same place, but, I'm sure there are other, maybe even cheaper places. If anyone knows of better HD suppliers, let us know.

Cameron Young
November 18, 2007 02:48PM
Notice it says you need windows for this - do you need some software to make it work or does it work out of the box with macs and a bare hard drive?
November 18, 2007 02:53PM
Macsales.com has a similar device from Newertech that does the samething. It's a little bit more money - $30 but Macsales caters to mac users directly so I always feel safe buying these quirky gadgets from them. Their customer service is also great!

Just an alternative....

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
November 18, 2007 03:18PM
Save your money, and buy the cheaper one. It works right out of the box, and Macs read it. Pops up on the desktop like any HD.

Cameron Young
November 18, 2007 05:10PM
Thanks Cameron
November 18, 2007 09:07PM
Nice find Shane and Cameron. I am ordering one.

Dan
November 19, 2007 12:36PM
I appreciate the thanks, but cannot take any credit for this. Shane found this, and posted his findings. I'm a Scotsman, so anywhere I can save a buck, I will. This workflow for archiving material just makes sense, plus, how cool is it that you can make use of a bare hard drive?

Cameron Young
November 20, 2007 03:10AM
FYI I've had 2 of these kits go south on me in the last 4 months, and one of then took a 250GB drive with it. One was from Newertech. Use with caution.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics