Help - Strange Final Render Size

Posted by Logan6 
Help - Strange Final Render Size
November 28, 2007 09:27AM
So my client needs a final movie at 654x333 for viewing on the web. I shot the footage on the DVX as regular ole DV 720x480 on MiniDV. Can someone tell me how to set up my sequence?

When I set the sequence to 654x333 - I then need to render every clip everytime i drag it to the timeline - so i don't want to do that. For now I'm keeping the DV timeline (at 720x480) as square pixels and adding slug boxes on the top and bottom to give me a rough idea of the new aspect ratio (essentially cropping the top and bottom) without the need to render. I'm thinking i'll figure out the export when i'm all done editing. But now I'm getting left and right black space - because of 'view as square pixels?' and this seems like a hack way to do it - Totally confused. Stick with 'view as square' on everything right?

Please help and enlighten me - thanks!
Re: Help - Strange Final Render Size
November 28, 2007 09:35AM
You shouldn't be editing at the final frame size and square pixels. Edit in DV NTSC right now to preserve the highest quality. That would also allow you to go back out to tape for the master. Export in 654x333 later.

www.derekmok.com
November 28, 2007 09:54AM
There will never be an out to tape - my final destination is the computer screen. And 654x333 is not the DV aspect ratio - So how can I export that size from DV NTSC when I'm done without squshing it? And you are saying never turn on 'show as square pixels' ?

thanks
November 28, 2007 10:25AM
> There will never be an out to tape - my final destination is the computer screen.

Famous last words! And also, maintaining the DV codec, frame size and pixel aspect ratio allows for a possible DVD out.

> And 654x333 is not the DV aspect ratio

Just edit in DV so you won't have to render and are maintaining all the best quality settings. When you need a 654x333 movie file, create a custom sequence set at that and drop your edited sequence into it (nesting), or export the 720x480 movie file first and then import into the 654x333 sequence. You wouldn't want to muck with lower quality at the editing stage unless you're trying to save on disk space or plan to do an online later.

www.derekmok.com
November 28, 2007 12:25PM
> You wouldn't want to muck with lower
> quality at the editing stage unless you're trying
> to save on disk space or plan to do an online
> later.

True- it gives you added options to burn a dvd/dv backup. And you need the extra clarity to help gauge your shots/colors, etc... To add on to this, on exporting, you could also export via compressor, which also allows you to trim off the edges of the frame into the format that you need.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics