Why is my 'M' key locked to lock audio?

Posted by TimMirk 
Why is my 'M' key locked to lock audio?
November 29, 2007 06:00PM
All of a sudden my M key is no longer marker, but is lock all audio tracks, and it can not be remapped. In the keyboard layout I get the "Key is reserved locked" What am I missing? I'm sure its an easy one!
Re: Why is my 'M' key locked to lock audio?
November 29, 2007 06:09PM
Sure you're not pressing Command-M. That's reserved for minimize.
November 29, 2007 06:10PM
Yep I'm sure. M alone is locked, and dark grey when I try to adjust my keyboard layout.

Weird I think?
November 29, 2007 06:10PM
sounds like a good time to trash your prefs.
read this: [www.lafcpug.org]

or try this first:
? 1st back up your keyboard layout if you haven't done that already.
(if you haven't done any customising don't bother)

? in the keyboard layout window, first hit the CLEAR button. this will wipe the keyboard clear of ALL shortcuts.

? still in the keyboard layouts window, hit RESET. this will restore the default FCP layout.

se if the M key behaves.

? if you do have a saved layout, load that.

trashing prefs will probably do the trick, but remember to back up thinkgs like your keyboard layout, if you haven't done that already,
and save your FAVOURITES folder into a new project.
November 29, 2007 06:57PM
trashing prefs didnt do it. In default form the keyboard is fine. Looks like I'll just have to recreate my keyboard. I haven't used my M key in awhile, so my saved keyboard layout unfortunately contains that locked M key as well.

Oh well.
November 30, 2007 03:58PM
One other thing to check - maybe one of the modifier keys is stuck, and making pressing M alone acts as though you were pressing Opt-M or some such. This would affect everything you did, so it's a little unlikely, but worth trying. Tap sharply on all of your modifier keys - Control, Option, Command and even Shift, and make sure to do both the left and right versions of each. If any is stuck closed this may free it.

Another way to confirm this is to open Keyboard Viewer. The displayed keys should change any time you press any of those modifier keys. If one of them doesn't change anything when you press it, it is stuck.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics