How can FCP6 do this to me?

Posted by Gene Brockhoff 
How can FCP6 do this to me?
November 30, 2007 08:37PM
Started a sequence by dropping a self-contained (HVX) DVCPro 720p/24 clip into the timeline. Menu comes up asking if I would like to make the sequence match the clip. This is open format timeline right? I click OK and the clip is added with a nice blood red render line. Huh? This is FC6.0 I believe. Is this sounding familiar?
Re: How can FCP6 do this to me?
November 30, 2007 09:17PM
where'd this clip come from?

anything weird abut it: composite mode / alpha??

nick
November 30, 2007 09:34PM
Ah....is this one of those things where the clip is a self contained QT Movie export and the dimensions are 1280x720 instead of 960x720? That bug plagued us from FCP 5.1.4 up until 6.0.2.

If it was exported from a sequence that was in that range, then no matter what you do it will get that red render bar. Stupid bug.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 30, 2007 09:38PM
Control/Click on the clip in the browser & see if the Format Properties match your timeline. Also, (for S + G's) double click the clip in the timeline, go up to the "Motion" tab and click on all the red "X's" (resetting all clip parameters). I have seen clips come into the timeline and be automatically distorted (weird...I know).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 30, 2007 09:55PM
they come in automatically distorted because final cut thinks there is something wrong with it and auto corrects. Sounds like if its a self-contained 1280x720 than there is something wrong with it. An easier way of dealing with that is to try and remove attributes and see if there is anything applied to it. You can do this for lots of clips instead of just the individual clip properties...
November 30, 2007 11:16PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah....is this one of those things where the clip
> is a self contained QT Movie export and the
> dimensions are 1280x720 instead of 960x720? That
> bug plagued us from FCP 5.1.4 up until 6.0.2.
>
> If it was exported from a sequence that was in
> that range, then no matter what you do it will get
> that red render bar. Stupid bug.

I think this hits the nail on the head. The film is full of 960x720 but also 720x480 and 1280x720. All kinds of things. But the project properties says 1280x720. So are you saying 6.0.2 still does it? Are we up to 6.0.3 yet?
November 30, 2007 11:57PM
The "exporting DVCPRO HD as a self contained QT Movie making it 1280x720 instead of 960x720" but was prevalent in FCP 5.1.4, 6.0 and 6.0.1. ANY sequence exported as a self contained QT Movie...or even a reference movie with those versions suffered from that bug. FCP 6.0.2 fixed that.

So...if you have a QT Movie exported from a previous version of FCP mentioned, it has this bug, and no matter what your project settings, you'll have to render it. And you should get off the 1280x720 settings and choose a DVCPRO HD Easy Setup that matches your frame rate and create a new sequence. And either export that QT Movie again, or live with having to render it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 01, 2007 10:19AM
Thanks. Even if he updates, it looks like he will still have to render it. I am 75 miles from the guy who has the .mov so looks like render-time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics