Capturing NTSC

Posted by yonoka 
Capturing NTSC
December 01, 2007 08:58AM
I am trying to capture a small amount of footage in NTSC using FCP 5. There is communication between the camera and computer because I can control the camera functions within the log and capture screen but the preview is disabled and when i click capture now a box comes up saying "could not be completed as there is no video". I have tried putting in a tape i have captured previously and it wont work now either. Are there any preferences i might have missed?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Re: Capturing NTSC
December 01, 2007 09:25AM
Is your camera supported by Final Cut? Try any of the easy setup preferences. You should be on firewire-ntsc. Are you capturing DV? Then your setting should be DV/DV50 ntsc.
December 01, 2007 09:28AM
Yeah I always capture using this camera. Ive tried most of the different easy set-ups. ill try the dv50 ntsc thanks
December 01, 2007 12:20PM
oops! ouch... i mean dv/dvcpro ntsc. my bad. Don't capture with dv50 unless you shot on dvcpro 50
December 01, 2007 01:42PM
"Control the Camera" and "Get the video from the camera" are different panels. If you have a different capture device (we also have a Kona II), this setting will sometimes change itself.

Koz
December 01, 2007 01:46PM
By the way you misspoke. You're not capturing NTSC. NTSC is an analog format. You are capturing DV (we assume) in the NTSC format. That's what caused the confusion at the top.

If you were really capturing NTSC, you would need a Canopus ADVC, an AJA Io, or one of those. That would give you a completely different solution and setup panel.

Koz
December 03, 2007 08:32AM
Sorry for the confusion ive got some screen captures if that helps.:
[i220.photobucket.com]
[i220.photobucket.com]
[i220.photobucket.com] (noticed it says pal?)

I have also tried using a different camera but it just comes up saying general error
thanks
December 04, 2007 07:58AM
seems to be a lot more confusion.

1) is the footage shot in NTSC or PAL? (i can't see where it says PAL).

2) what format is the footage shot in? (i'm presuming it's shot in DV)

3) is the camera supported by final cut? You can check here. [www.apple.com]

3) I'm not noticing any footage in your pictures. It says "preview is disabled" or something. If there is connection, you should be able to see footage when you press "play".
December 04, 2007 08:02AM
the footage is shot in ntsc and yes its on dv. the waveform (right in the corner, really small) shows pal.
I have used this camera before for capturing ntsc without a problem.
Sorry for the confusion im causing. how can i get the preview to work?
December 04, 2007 08:16AM
click the capture settings tab. Does it say "firewire ntsc"?
December 04, 2007 08:25AM
yeah
December 04, 2007 08:42AM
If the device control is in dv ntsc, the camcorder is on vcr mode, the capture preset is in dv ntsc... You should also be getting a preview, video and audio signals. And yea, the preview scopes should read "ntsc" and not "pal", even with no device connected. You can try reading the faq too.
December 10, 2007 10:56AM
thanks for the help smiling smiley
ive found out the problem is that the camera has to be paused when fcp opens up and the log and capture window opens up.
I never figured out what is up with the preview scopes.
thanks again
December 20, 2007 06:10PM
I have been intermittently been having the same problem. Machine control works but the capture window is disabled, and if I do "capture now," it says waiting for timecode, beforre stopping itself and the computer says there was no signal.

Now I say it's intermitent because last night I didgitised a whole tape no problem. I worked for some time today in the same project, hit log and capture and came up with this problem.

Bad cable? no, because Imovie shows the picture just fine. Once I figure out which preferences to trash I'll try that.

yonoka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for the help smiling smiley
> ive found out the problem is that the camera has
> to be paused when fcp opens up and the log and
> capture window opens up.
> I never figured out what is up with the preview
> scopes.
> thanks again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics