OT: 17" Laptop Owners...How Do You Carry Your Gear???

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: 17" Laptop Owners...How Do You Carry Your Gear???
December 04, 2007 10:34PM
I am doing my usual nutty research before making a purchase. I just got a 17" Macbook Pro...but I can't take it out of my house unless I cart it around in the box it came in. What I am trying to say is...I need a GOOD / SAFE / TOUGH / ROOMY /COOL bag or backpack (preferrably backpack) that will fit my machine, a full size Apple keyboard (the new slim one that's 17" long), a G-RAID, disks, cables, accessories, etc...basically a mobile suite. I don't want a hard shell case or a flimsy messenger bag.

I bought a Wenger Swiss Gear Maxxum backpack for my Wifes PB G4 15" and I flippin' LOVE this bag...it is tough as nails. We took it loaded up to Europe without a hitch. Our cab driver even DROPPED IT off the top of a pile of luggage 5 feet off the ground and it HIT THE CURB UPSIDE DOWN. The PB & both my cameras inside didn't get a scratch.

My dilemna: I haven't found a pack as good as the Wenger Maxxum for a 17" laptop. WTF is going on with these bag manufacturers? For every 25 - 15" bags there's 1 - 17" bag and it's butt-ugly.

Isn't there any GOOD / SAFE / TOUGH / ROOMY /COOL bags or backpacks (preferrably backpacks) out there for a 17" Macbook Pro? Do YOU have one? Please weigh in here. Company Names are good. I would love links. Photos would be supremely appreciated.

Thanks & Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish Friends smiling smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: 17" Laptop Owners...How Do You Carry Your Gear???
December 05, 2007 02:31AM
i love this one:

[www.kata-bags.com]

it specifically says it will hold a 17" laptop - and still has room for all kinds of assorted suite gear there where the camera would normally go!
December 05, 2007 07:31AM
The best bag, a bit bulky sometime, but storage area for everything.

[www.m-audio.com]
December 05, 2007 09:05PM
2 offerings?

Anyone else?

December 06, 2007 12:12AM
I use a well padded roller bag - don't have in front of me - but it's a piece of luggage - you can fit two laptops in a suspended shock absorber thing - yeah you look a little dorky and computer geeky dragging it around - but it's great - tons of room to put disks and cables (even put a G-Raid in there and carried across country) Actually I think it's a swiss army brand yeah, that's the ticket - here it is (no backpacking but man you will love it)

Swiss Army Rolling Computer Case

happy shopping Joe - Andy
December 06, 2007 05:41AM
I love my Crumpler bag for my 15 inch. They do a 17 as well.

[www.crumpler.com.au]

Aussie, aussie, aussie....

I reckon there is (well packed) 3 times as much room as my 15 inch MBP.
December 06, 2007 08:59AM
Mine's on wheels, too.

It's a pilot's case that I can fit a 17", a DSR-45 and quite a few accessories into if I pack it just right. Fits in most overheard compartments. It's REALLY fun to have it searched at airports. eye rolling smiley

I prefer the wheels 'cos I have problems with my spine. A backpack with that much gear in it would do serious damage (to me).

I didn't post earlier because you asked about backpacks specifically...

Now since Andy's piped up...

deb
December 06, 2007 11:26AM
these guys get a lot of talk over at dvxuser:
[www.ogio.com]

i also have an older, higher-end targus shoulder bag that fits my 17". id imagine that you could also fit a graid and a slim keyboard in. not much else though.

id imagine that a trip down to your local "bag&baggage"/"luggage&leather" store might turn up some good options. they helped me with my first powerbook bag - actually special ordered stuff for me to evaluate.
December 06, 2007 12:56PM
The www.kata-bags.com one that Wayne mentioned is one I've used on many occasion for camera and equipment - if it fits all your setup inside its definately one to look at.

There are very good watertight bags you may want to look at too - I'll have to find out what make but there is one we used that had recently come back from the amazon rainforest and had been used as a float to ford a river with the camera et al inside!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 06, 2007 01:08PM
It's not a backpack, but I use the Brenthaven shoulder bag. I like the strap in the back that allows me to slide it over my luggage handle (the kind with wheels) so I can give my shoulder a rest.

[store.apple.com]
December 06, 2007 03:04PM
Actually I forgot to mention I have a Sherpa Guide carry my gear from job to job....very handy...
December 06, 2007 03:27PM
Andy Field Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually I forgot to mention I have a Sherpa Guide
> carry my gear from job to job....very handy...

Ooooohhhh, where do I sign up to get me one of those?!?

deb
December 06, 2007 04:09PM
why wouldnt you want a hard case? im sure there are reasons - im just curious. as thats the way id probably go...
December 06, 2007 04:24PM
Yeah, Andy...sign me up for the Sherpa Guide smiling smiley

Thanks for the input everyone...I ended getting a really great deal on a Swiss Army Wenger Pegasus (check out the pics):

[forum.notebookreview.com]

There's a ton of them on ebay right now for $49.99 & $13.00 shipping:

[cgi.ebay.com]

December 08, 2007 10:53PM
I went the very same thing but with the extra wrinkle of being a motorcycle rider too. I was able to find a backpack from Axio, that fits my powerbook, a gRaid all all of the required cables, mice etc. I even manage to get a small Wacom tablet in there.

Google 'Axio Swift Hardpack' or have a look at some online motorcycle retailers.
December 09, 2007 10:39AM
Hey Lobby,

That's a sexy lookin' bikin' pack. Nice aerodynamics. Doesn't look very expandable / capable of holding very much (looks kinda thin) though and I wouldn't want my G-RAID / FirewireVR / IO HD pressing up against my MBP. The one I purchased (Wenger Pegasus) will also fit an IO HD in the main compartment. I went with Wenger because the one I purchased for my Wifes 15" PB (Maxxum) is tough as nails, good lookin' and comfortable. The quality in the construction is premium.

December 09, 2007 11:47AM
I have been using the Kata-bags.com HB-207 for the last 2 years or so.
I shoot motorcycle racing and events 25-30 weekends a year and fly from location to location each time. I carry a 17" laptop, camera body, dv camera 4 lens including 70-200 f2.8, strobes, Battery powered light and battery belt, ect you get the picture. I carry between 35 and 45 pounds of equipment
It has been dropped; it has had to be placed in the cargo section of small aircraft, in the bed of a pickup truck, and many overhead bins of all sorts. The bag has been wet, hot, cold, and any 360 degree in all axis.
The Laptop storage location is between the back straps and large second section.
Straps are padded and fully adjustable and there is a waist belt that can be worn or tucked in out of the way.
The inside compartment is fully configurable, in my arrangement nothing touches anything else.
The back is ventilated so it helps on heat control when carrying for long time frames. There is also an optional fold up 2 wheel dolly that is designed to be used with the unit. I do not have the dolly myself.
After over 50 round trips on planes and many truck travels it looks almost new. To me that is a good looking work horse.
I hope this helps.
December 10, 2007 06:52PM
for those guys following this thread who may have a 15" this is a great bag that my friend has...

[www.tenba.com]

Not sure if they do a 17" one Joey...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
December 10, 2007 06:56PM
[www.tenba.com]

[www.tenba.com]

[www.tenba.com]

Apparently you can get them MUCH cheaper like $100 less... shop around

December 10, 2007 07:26PM
I often use this for when I travel in unsafe areas. My laptop is VERY well protected. The section you see in the upper left is very handly for extra paper, cables and weapons.

Comes with wheels too.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 10, 2007 07:45PM
You didn't post a LINK, Mike!? Do they sell these on Amazon or Buy.com? Maybe you should add them to the LAFCPUG store. Are the shoulder straps padded? I really couldn't use this anyway...there's no iPod pocket.

This looks safe for my laptop:

December 10, 2007 08:17PM
That section in the upper left has 4 iPod holders. Well, they are really for packs of cigarettes but they work well for iPods.

You can custom order this from B&H

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 10, 2007 09:14PM
...I looked it up. The price is $49.95. Shipping is $750.00.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics