how to open an omf?

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
how to open an omf?
December 07, 2007 03:34PM
Hi there gang,

I haven't worked with omfs in FCP before. I just exported some omfs to give them to a sound person, and I wanted to check them. He is working with the files over the weekend and I'm not back 'til Tuesday so I won't be able to re-export.

FCP import window views them as greyed out, and when I try to open them just on the desktop level, it asks for an application, and soudntrack pro is also greyed out. Would I need Logic Pro or soemething just to open the files?

I can always export an aiff for him too, to be on the safe side...

All wisdom and anecdotes are welcome,

Thanks,

Marla

FCP Studio 2
Intel Core Duo 2x 2.66
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B04
SMC Version: 1.7f10
ATY,RadeonX1900
KONA card (I think it's a Kona3)
Re: how to open an omf?
December 07, 2007 03:43PM
FCP hasn't been able to import/play/check OMFs for as long as I remember. I've only had to check them on one occasion while assisting on a film cut by an editing mentor, and she and the sound designer used a special software (can't remember the name now) outside of FCP.

www.derekmok.com
December 07, 2007 03:54PM
Soundtrack 2 is supposed to import OMFs:
[www.apple.com]

ProTools people need Digitranslator to deal with OMFs but it's a not inconsequential purchase. In OS9 there was/is OMF tool which I used to use all the time to check outgoing OMFs. It's still on version tracker I believe, if you have an old Classic-ready CPU hanging about.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 07, 2007 04:33PM
Thank you!

But I wonder what I have to do to open it in Soundtrack 2 - you do mean the v of Soundtrack that comes with studio 2, do you not? Which I have.

Guess I'll try opening Soundtrack and then try importing the omfs...

I do not have a classic machine handy alas...

Let you know how it goes,

Thanks,

M A R L A

Current System:

FCP 7.0.3 on an MBP 17" from early 2011, running OS 10.8.3

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
Re: how to open an omf? - yes - Soundtrack pro does it!
December 07, 2007 04:46PM
So it worked - odd thing is my sequence is NDF TC, and the sequence in Soundtrack Pro is DF -

Not sure if this is bc the original clip may have been DF, or because of SP2s preferences...

Thanks,

Marla
Re: how to open an omf?-drop vs non-drop
December 07, 2007 04:57PM
So my original clip is NON DROP, as is my sequence in FCP. Is there some reason SP2 would mis-read this???

I just found and changed the pref to NDF for SP2, but it was not retroactive. So I closed the projects and re-imported, and it was STILL DF TC.

Any thoughts? I'll try quitting and restarting the program...

Thanks,

M A R L A

Current System:

FCP 7.0.3 on an MBP 17" from early 2011, running OS 10.8.3

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
December 07, 2007 05:02PM
I know ProTools used to ignore the TC format of incoming OMFs and just go with what ever was set in prefs. It got the frame rate right as that is written into the OMF header.

You should be able to change to DF in SoundTrack. Try importing the video you're sending with audio into ST2 and seeing how it syncs up with TC burn in.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 07, 2007 05:22PM
My clip is actually NDF, and is coming into SP2 as DF, even though I changed the prefs to be NDF...

You mean create a TC burn-in first, in FCP? To use as a reference?

Or did you mean to do some sort of burn in option INSIDE of SP2?

I actually haven't been exporting any vid with the omf, so I'm not sure what you mean.

The frame-rate is correct btw,

Thanks!

Marla
December 08, 2007 07:08AM
I just assumed that if you're sending off an OMF you would probably be sending a quicktime for the audio op to view against the mix. For me that entails a TC burn-in to a small QT or a dump to DV/VHS/Beta. I'd be surprised to hear of an audio house that doesn't want some sort of reference video.

If SP2 isn't honoring the sequence TC rate, try cutting in a DF clip at the beginning of the sequence to see if that makes a difference. In some ways audio TC is harder than Video TC for applications because it has to handle the 48000 subdivisions of a second in stead of just less than 60. I think because of this, audio applications took longer to handle DF and NDF in the same sequence with any reliability.

Can you change the sequence to DF in SP2 after you import it?

At least you know you have a readable OMF which should almost definitely import into ProTools. I'd be curious to hear how PT reads the TC rate.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics