Multi-Camera Editing in FCP 4.5?

Posted by d2olphin 
Multi-Camera Editing in FCP 4.5?
December 11, 2007 03:28PM
Is it possible?

basically, i did an old school music video. had the singer sing the song from a few different camera angles in its entirety, then plan to line up the sound tracks of each and cut between them...how can i see all my shots and cut between them in FCP 4.5?

thanks,

dan
Re: Multi-Camera Editing in FCP 4.5?
December 11, 2007 05:10PM
The only way to do that in 4.5 is to view each angle to familiarize, then stack your angle tracks and live cut through them all on the beat with Control V. Then peel away segments with the delete key (and Undo if you want to keep the angle.)

Then tweak with roll edit trims.

That's how we did it then...

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Toggle Audio Scrub with Shift-S !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 11, 2007 05:33PM
what exactly do you mean by this? "and live cut through them all on the beat with Control V."

amd can you please lay this out for me terminology-free so to speak: "Then peel away segments with the delete key (and Undo if you want to keep the angle.) "

this is my first music video so spelling it out for me (like im a 3 year old)--would really help.

THANK YOU
December 11, 2007 09:01PM
What he means is that there is no real multiclip in 4.5.

What you can do, however, is reduce the size of al your clips and stack them on the timeline with the same start time. So - put cam 1 clip on V1 starting at the clapper, or any moment that you can use to sync the various cameras up to. Select this clip by double clicking it, then go to the motion tab and reduce the scale to 50%. Then use the motion tools to move this clip to the left hand side of your screen.

Now drop camera two's clip on V2, reduce the size to 50% and move it to the right hand side of the screen. You should now be able to see both angles on screen at once.

Sync the two clips by slipping one or the other on the timeline until they play together correctly.

If you need more than two cameras, of course you need to make the clisp smaller and stack on higher video lines, making room on screen for all angles.

Now just make a blade cut where you want to change angles, then delete all the angles you don't want to be on scree at that time.

Then you can go through and make all the small clips back into real size by removing attributes.

Sounds a lot harder than it actually is.

December 11, 2007 09:03PM
Loren's explanation was fairly "terminology-free" to begin with. If you're not sure what "peel away segments with the delete key" means, you're in for a rough ride.

I'll try to be very specific, but terms exist to prevent confusion between notions or functions that are similar but not the same.

Place each angle of the video on a separate video track (V1 - V4 for example). Place the mix of your song in stereo on A1 and A2. You should not cut between your different AUDIO performances as it will not mix well. Best to use one audio take that sounds the best for all the video tracks.

Hit CMD+0 to bring up your sequence settings. Go to Timeline Options and make sure that the Thumbnail display is set to Name Plus Thumbnail or Filmstrip. This will give you a visual reference in your timeline as to which angle is on which video track. Hit OK.

In your timeline turn off the auto-select buttons for A1 and A2. They are the small square buttons just to the right of the lock icons.

Play your song from the beginning. As you listen to the music, feel the beat and hit CTL+V each time you feel there should be a cut. CTL+V will make cuts on the video tracks without stopping the playhead. In other words, you're making cuts while the song continues to play.

When the song finishes, you'll be left with a timeline filled with cuts. Go back through the timeline clip by clip (a clip is a section of video between two cuts) and choose the angle that you want to be visible for that clip. Select the others and hit CTL+B. This will turn the selected clips invisible allowing your chosen clip to be visible even if it's on the lowest video track.

I prefer this to deleting the other tracks as this method allows you to change your mind later.

I hope this helps you.

Andy
December 11, 2007 09:43PM
This is basically what Andy, Jude and Loren are talking about.

This is a music video I shot in October (see the almost-end-product here: [www.derekmok.com]

This is basically the "old-school" way of cutting what is essential a multi-camera shoot. Only in your case and mine, the multiple cameras weren't rolling simultaneously, but are synced to a constant source. I don't know how many angles you had, but I had approximately 50 takes in four locations, so even if the Multiclip feature were available, the sheer number of takes made that impractical, in my opinion. Also, I had designed the video so that you can't be in any location at any random point.

The middle image shows a "Master Sync" sequence where I laid out all the angles, synced to the song. Notice the markers that line up. I used sound spikes to indicate certain vital parts of the song that are easy to locate (for example, the first snare hit of the first chorus). Note in the Viewer how one of the clips had a marker with a song lyric on it. By marking the line "Hard to smile" in the song (actually, it was a snare hit on that line -- a snare hit is easier to locate and sync than a syllable of a human voice), and then marking that hit on all the angles, I can do the syncing faster. If I ever have a clip that lost its place in the timeline, by using this lyric, I can line up the markers again and rediscover the sync more quickly.

The top image shows what happened when I started razoring all those angles, choosing the best bits, and laying them out. But notice, each angle is still in its own video track, and some bits that aren't chosen are greyed out, but not deleted. Because when you have a multi-camera setup, it's useful to have pieces you don't want in the timeline, just in case you're missing a chunk down the line. That greyed-out chunk may not be what I want here, but I can pull it out and maybe it will fit in another place where there's a hole that needs to be filled. This is the "Clip Enable/Disable" method Andy was talking about.

The bottom image shows a later timeline when I had most of the song where I wanted it. I cleaned up the first 2/3 of the song where I was happy with the shot selection. The later parts were still not done, so I left some clips on separate tracks.

Though it's time-consuming, there's one great thing about this method that can't be done in the Multiclip function. When you have three, four or more angles like this, and then go through each angle individually to find the best bits, you can then line up all those pieces and watch -- it's like the footage cuts itself, and watching this "unintentional editing" can inspire ideas.

www.derekmok.com
December 11, 2007 10:03PM
Damn, I just love that song! Makes me want to go out and spend money and not worry about paying the bills. You got to show it at lafcpug Derek. Get the whole house rocking.

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 12, 2007 11:36AM
Sweet video Derek
December 15, 2007 01:49PM
Derek-

Put that into a tutorial here-- and sequence the screen shots from start to finish. Be great.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Toggle Audio Scrub with Shift-S !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 15, 2007 02:10PM
Yeah, that would be a killer one Derek. You up for it?

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 15, 2007 10:10PM
Okay, let me get past this busy stretch first. I might just redo the setting up of that project and recording screen grabs along the way.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics