Capturing Limited 2 Approx. 5mins

Capturing Limited 2 Approx. 5mins
December 14, 2007 12:10PM
I have a strange problem. My FCP program will capture but it freeze frames after about five minutes and continues to capture audio with the freeze frame. I have tried changing the capture settings, I have tried non-controlled, I have tried analog only thru a digital convertor, I have tried capturing in a different project, I have tried capturing to a different drive, and I have rebooted twice. I can still only capture around 5 minutes before it freeze frames and captures only audio. The problem has to be software right?

Any help anyone can give is appreciated.
Re: Capturing Limited 2 Approx. 5mins
December 14, 2007 12:24PM
After reading some of your posts, I noticed something that may be the problem. I just had an update of Quicktime 7.3.1, I have OSX.4.11 and FCP 4.5 would this cause a problem?
December 14, 2007 01:43PM
what connection, format, hardware are you using? Hmm... final cut 4.5 on qt 7.3 might cause some clashes.
December 14, 2007 01:59PM
Sounds like you need to check the amount of space available on your capture scratch drive to me. Also, if you are using firewire to an external drive, make sure you are using an 800 cable or esata [400 is too slow]. If you don't have a 800 firewire, capture little sections to your internal HD and see if that helps. That way you can rule out the easy set up being the problem...

Also, check out the "limit capture now" setting... even tho thats probably not it.

It could also be the codec you are trying to use. Your computer may not be fast enough to handle it. I assume you are just digitizing DV media? which in that case, your computer speed should be fine and its most likely the capture disk. However, if you are trying to digitize uncompressed media for any reason, it is very likely the speed is the problem...

Angie
December 14, 2007 02:44PM
> Also, if you are using firewire to an external drive, make sure you are using an 800 cable or
> esata [400 is too slow].

Not necessarily true. FireWire 400 can handle DV and HDV just fine. He hasn't told us what format he's using yet.

www.derekmok.com
December 14, 2007 06:31PM
This is true. However, I've had problems even digitizing Offline RT through a firewire 400.... perhaps its a preference? lol.
December 14, 2007 06:48PM
DV was created alongside firewire. Firewire was designed to accommodate digital DV transfers. 400 is fast enough (although it lags less when you're editing on 800)
December 14, 2007 07:12PM
i.e a preference. =)
December 15, 2007 02:33PM
[DV was created alongside firewire. Firewire was designed to accommodate digital DV transfers. 400 is fast enough (although it lags less when you're editing on 800)]

Oh, it's great for capture. Lousy for complex multistream edting.

FW800 is peppy but the protocol is "chatty" and can sometimes interfere with itself-- many report problems capturing DV to a MacBook Pro with an external FW drive attached. One solution: an Express 34 Firewire card to isolate the FW busses. Leave camera or deck on native port, route drives into card bus, or vice versa.

Second soution, eSATA I or II drives. A better sltion for towers but I think it's available for cardbus.

FieWire isn't dead tho-- the newest prototcol being readied is allegedly blazing fast and uses 1394b (FW800) cable and connections. Stay tuned.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Toggle Audio Scrub with Shift-S !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 15, 2007 02:44PM
What i love about firewire is how easily it connects to devices- you can swap portable drives around with ease... just wished the firewire sockets were at the front of the mac rather than the back of the mac- hate digging behind my mac to find a hole.
December 15, 2007 02:53PM
Hello everyone,

I still don't have a solution but I do have a work around. The format I am using is mini-dv, there should be no thru put problems. Also i have about a terrabyte of space overall and I am capturing to a drive with twice as much space available as I needed. This problem did start immediately after I approved a Quicktime update so I believe this may be the problem. Anyone know how to undo an update?

OK OK I have an old 533 MHz PowerPC G4 with about 1.25gb of Ram, 4 internal drives and one external 5600 on the firewire, about 990gb of HD space with a Plextor810UF external DVD drive. OK I know I am way behind the times, but IT STILL WORKS FINE! Up to now.

I have always been weary of updates but lately i have let my guard done. I guess I got bit. My work-around is: I have preserved OS9.1 for Photoshop6 and After Effects 5 and I have a backup boot drive with OSX.4.01 and QT.7.0.1. I have not updated the backup boot drive and I have all of my crucial programs installed there as well. I booted to this drive, and turned off my preference which stops video capture if there is a drop frame, and I was able to capture a half hour program I produced.

Hooray! for back up boot discs and the ability to have multiple drives and multiple Operating systems. Anyone else have any problems with the lastest update of Quicktime? A few years ago, I had a problem with OSX and I was able to complete a project in OS9 with FCP2 while I sorted out my problems with OSX. Got to have a backup!

Terrence
December 15, 2007 03:07PM
BS"D

Same exact thing happened to me about 2 months ago, right after I updated to Quick Time 7.3. Unfortunately, updating to 7.3.1 doesn't fix it.

Are you using 10.4, or are you still on 10.3.9 like me? If so, someone sent me the instructions to get back to an earlier version of Quick Time. I'll post the link once I search for it.
December 15, 2007 03:21PM
BS"D

Here's the link - [docs.info.apple.com]

But...it won't remove 7.3. I'm also stuck capturing 4:59 clips, which is especially frustrating when I have an hour worth of video to capture.

Anybody know how I can get rid of Quick Time 7.3?
December 15, 2007 03:41PM
[www.apple.com]

Bingo! Damned i thought it was the deck!
December 15, 2007 04:08PM
Try trashing the QuickTime receipts in Library/Receipts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics