GTech drives

Posted by harry323 
GTech drives
January 01, 2008 03:30PM
Over the past two years I have purchased two x 1 TB drives and one x 2 TB drives from these guys.

All of them have, at some point, failed or had problems.

I thought that GTech was supposed to be the very best. They are very polite and usually manage to fix the problem, but nevertheless, that a 100% failure/problem rate!

Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

Does anyone have the name of a high up executive to whom I can take my problem. The 2TB has just gone wonky.

Is there a more reliable manufacturer? ... or perhaps that's the holy grail.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Harry
Re: GTech drives
January 01, 2008 03:39PM
Harry what is happening to the drives, forgive me but what exactly do you mean by 'wonky' ?!!
January 01, 2008 03:50PM
1. The first two x 1tb drives I bought, after a while, would go to sleep without prompting and then wake up when they felt like it. Problem solved by my taking drives back and new parts being fitted.

2. Then one of the transformers died - and was replaced.

3. Then something occurred which caused one drive to sound like a 1957 Chevy starting up on a cold morning. Problem solved. Then this recurred, then it was fixed again at Gtech.

4. Now the 2TB drive has slowed down to 5mph ... and, no, it isn't full. It is divided in half and one side claims now to be only 400GB in size. That side barely works at all.

And I have already run Disk Warrior and Utilities etc.

I am currently moving all the data on the drive with the identity problem which thinks it's a 400GB drive off onto another drive. I will then reformat the schizo drive. But it is currently making rather unpleasant and intermittent "hissing" sounds and I have doubts for its future.

I will that down to Gtech tomorrow.

If you have any further advice, please inform me - and thanks for your prompt reply.

Harry.
Anonymous User
January 01, 2008 06:33PM
I have a 500GB Raid and its been solid for over 2 years. There was a run of bad luck drives that G-Tech shipped awhile back but I assume its been taken care of.
January 01, 2008 06:38PM
I have a 320 GB unit...never had an issue.

I always said the bigger they come - the harder they fall. I would rather have an array 3 to 5 500 GB drives under protection than a 1 or 2 TB G-RAID @ RAID "0" (only allowable setting for those units)...which is why the CalDigit units are looking better & better to me.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 01, 2008 06:43PM
Harrumph.

While attempting to transfer files off my 2TB it has finally given up the ghost and refuses to mount.

I'll totter down to GTech tomorrow am.

I could do without this crap.

Best

Harry
January 01, 2008 07:01PM
DiskWarrior is generally the first stop for "refusing to mount" drive issues. Tried that yet?

www.derekmok.com
January 01, 2008 11:41PM
Mike is right...there's a bad batch out there and some may still be on the shelves (this was a while ago though). They go to sleep and just click & spin up & down and never mount. Harry may have just gotten some rotten apples from that tree. DiskWarrior will not work on these, I'm afraid...must be factory replaced.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 02, 2008 03:19AM
I have three G-drives. Two 500GB G-Raids, and one G-Drive Q. One of my G-Raids failed one year after purchase. Part of the bad batch I suppose. It was replaced with a new drive, rather quickly (I took it to them personally, they are in Santa Monica). The other two have had no issues whatsoever.

Hard drives fail...just a matter of when. And not everyone is perfect. G-Tech has a very high success rate compared to competitors.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 02, 2008 06:28PM
"Hard drives fail...just a matter of when."

This is why they invented RAID schemes. All drives WILL fail. Yes, it sucks when YOUR drive dies, but I don't think your experience is all that unusual. Just ask around about LACIE firewire drives.

Mark
January 02, 2008 07:59PM
To all those following my travails and who have offered advice:

GTech got the drive this morning. Found that the power supply was dodgy. Sending it back here tomorrow.

No data lost - thank God!

Thanks to you all for your help.

Harry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics