Leopard and FCS

Posted by Barry 
Leopard and FCS
January 03, 2008 05:13PM
I was just about to take my proposal for a new MacPro up to my supervisor, when I started seeing comments about a change in QT in the new Leopard OS. If I read the comments right, FCP5.1 won't play well with the new QT. Is this true? Will I have to upgrade to FCP2 to insure compatibility? "Gee Wally", the Beaver said, "Dad's not going to like this". Thanx...Oh yeh...Happy New Year. Barry
Re: Leopard and FCS
January 03, 2008 11:58PM
You are taking a proposal to your supervisor for a new Mac Pro and not including an upgrade to FCS2?? Why on earth not? Put it all in the proposal. I am personally using a Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz / 4 GB RAM / Leopard 10.5.1 / QT 7.3.1. / FCS2 (FCP 6.0.2) and it flippin' rocks. Runs all my grafix & 3D software as well without a hitch. No QT issues at all for me.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 04, 2008 10:37AM
The Upgrade is $499 and well worth it even on a PPC G5.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 04, 2008 03:25PM
He may have to support legacy projects under 5.1. I keep 1 system setup with 5.1 Tiger just for that reason.
January 04, 2008 08:45PM
FCP 6.0.2. opens ALL previous versions just fine. For $499, upgrade the "legacy" machine as well.

January 04, 2008 11:38PM
In your proposal, include the upgrade and get it through the LAFCPUG Store. It's actually only $449.99. I got the upgrade along with two day shipping for a total of 467.97. Great deal!
January 05, 2008 12:43AM
> and it flippin' rocks.

Agreed. Except for the new snapping behaviour which is still a pain to get to know...

But yup, FCS2 is definitely worth the upgrade- some major major features in there you'd never wanna be without again. smoothcam, normalization gain, adjustable brightness for the scopes, double clicking a nest and landing right on the spot, better motion tools, works with QT 7.3 (7.3.1 works too?)..
January 05, 2008 11:26AM
To clarify, those clients still on 5.1 need me to be able to take projects, make my changes and deliver a 5.1 project back to them. The rest of my machines are FCS2 and I whole heartedly agree that the upgrade was well worth the $500.
January 05, 2008 12:28PM
bscenefilms,

It is in everyone's best interest to prepare & make a presentation to your clients and convince them to upgrade as well. There is much added functionality & flexibility in 6.0.2. It's a "win-win scenario" for all involved.

We have convinced anyone giving up old projects to upgrade and all has followed suit. It's the smart thing to do and if you make it look like the client will benefit from it, they will be all over it (especially for the miniscule cost). Clients not upgrading (for lack of 2 better words) is just lazy & cheap, IMHO.

January 05, 2008 04:00PM
Don't forget, there's always Export to XML if you need to get something back into an older format...
January 05, 2008 04:52PM
My main client is cheap. False economy cheap. Trust me, I have had this discussion with them...
January 05, 2008 05:34PM
There's nothin' less fun than a cheap client. Time to find better clients & cut loose the dead wood winking smiley Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics