What do you mean "Operation Not Allowed"???

Posted by jmlpost 
What do you mean "Operation Not Allowed"???
January 04, 2008 04:22PM
Hello, O blessed LAFCPUG, I have hit a weird snag. I bought a band new Final Cut Studio 2 package a few months ago but haven't used it much since I got it. I've been using FCP for many years and versoins and consider myself a pretty tuned user but I've found FCP6 to be a little buggy in ways I didn't expect and find myself having to restart probably more often than I really should.

Dual 1.8Ghz G5 Power PC, 2 gig RAM, fully updated OSX, all updates for FCP6, and FCP5 ran on this machine for years with no trouble at all.

Among other little frustrations, today I'm cutting a VERY simple DV rez timeline, nothing fancy at all, and I want to move my video track 1 to video track 2, and then duplicate it below so I can do some staggered effects on different tracks while keeping the same moving picture - should be simple... BUT when I copy my timeline (about 25 seconds and only 4 cuts) and drag it to V1 it says that THIS OPERATION IS NOT ALLOWED, a red screen I've never seen before pops up in canvas and the FCP crashes and vanishes. Very weird.

What could I be doing wrong?

Any help will be rewarded with generous compliments.

Thank you!

Josh
Re: What do you mean "Operation Not Allowed"???
January 04, 2008 05:06PM
> I want to move my video track 1 to video track 2, and then duplicate it below so I can do some
> staggered effects on different tracks while keeping the same moving picture - should be simple...
> BUT when I copy my timeline (about 25 seconds and only 4 cuts) and drag it to V1

OK, unless this description is wrong, it looks like you're trying to nest a timeline into itself. That's an impossible operation and may have triggered the "bug" you're talking about.

Why are you trying to "copy your timeline" anyway? For doing stacked effects, you should be using either the open-into-Viewer-drag-into-timeline method, or Copy-Paste the clips within the timeline.

www.derekmok.com
Re: What do you mean "Operation Not Allowed"???
January 04, 2008 05:11PM
whoa, sorry Derek - that was poorly worded. All I'm doing is copy and pasting the clips and then drag them into another track so I've got two identical tracks sitting on top of the other. Upon further inspection, however, for some reason FCP isn't letting put ANY videos in different tracks on top of each other without red-screen-in-canvas-then-crash. This is really weird... Tried making a new sequence and copy pasting the clips into the new sequence, still no luck... going to try new clips, new sequence...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics