P2 First Experience Questions

Posted by jusrus 
P2 First Experience Questions
January 07, 2008 07:37PM
Hey all,

OK, I have finally used a HVX200. Yes, the shots are amazing (particuarly with 35mm adaptors), and yes, the workflow (for a video clip shoot) was excellent (even with only 2 4gb cards) worked well.

I didn't shoot the video (I was in the band!), and the DOP has left his firestore with me as he was off to New Zealand the next day. I'm sure at some stage he told me what rate/resoultion he was shooting in, but I have long since forgotten.

Anyway, copied footage from Firestore no worries, imported into FCP 5.1.4 (my main machine had a hard drive failure, so I'm on an old one for the time being). Flopped the footage, and its all good.

I just really wanted to have a look at it, but before you know it, I've done a couple of hours work and got it in a VERY rough shape. But of course, made a rookie P2 mistake and didn't look at the project settings.

I get my main machine back this afternoon. If I take this project over to FCP 6.0.2 on the main machine, will it work out the resolutions properly using the magic thingo, or should I really start again? If so, is there a project preset I should specifically use? When I go to clip info, this is what shows up :-

(Hope that link works!)

Is there anything else you experience HVXers can throw my way? I'm confident I've got a good idea on the approach, just watching out for the thorns!

Also, can we update the donkey to include Shane's FCP 6 import tute please?

Thanks...Justin.
Re: P2 First Experience Questions
January 07, 2008 09:38PM
[library.creativecow.net]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 07, 2008 09:58PM
Thanks Shane, watched it earlier, and think it should replace the FCP 5 version currently in the FAQ.

Any advice for project setup?
January 07, 2008 10:19PM
Choose the DVCPRO HD 720p24 Easy Setup...create a new Sequence, delete Sequence 1 (the one already there) and you are set to go.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 07, 2008 10:37PM
Hi Shane,

Thanks for that - should I re-import my footage? Would the preset (I guess standard miniDV PAL) that I had going have effected the import?

You are the guru when it comes to all things P2....

Justin.
January 07, 2008 10:53PM
No...do not reimport. Your presets do not effect the import process at all. FCP imports the footage in the same format it was shot.

You're fine.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics