importing fonts into FCP

Posted by Kathy Craven 
importing fonts into FCP
January 07, 2008 08:13PM
I need to bring a font into final cut pro that is not an existing fonts. (Meta Black and Meta Book). What is the best way to do this?
Thanks!
Kathy
Re: importing fonts into FCP
January 07, 2008 08:53PM
Kathy

Just add the font to your Font folder (/Library/Fonts or ~//Library/Fonts) ... I've a suspicion that it has to be a trutype font in order to show up in FCP's basic text generators (way out on a limb here). If its a postscript font, or you're just not seeing it for whatever the real reason is (!) try using the Boris 3D text generator.

Cheers
Andy
January 07, 2008 09:58PM
Keep in mind...FCP's text tool is a POS. It doesn't show complete font families and I really hope (Steve Bayes...are ya out there?) the FCP Development Team does a total reworking of this tool for the next major release / upgrade.

Except for simple slates, I personally do all text in Photoshop then bring in the layered .PSD into FCP. I also recommend a font management software like Suitcase Fusion. Don't keep adding fonts to the system's font folder...eventually it will choke. Keep the fonts in a separate directory and activate them with Suitcase (which is an excellent buy @ $99.00):

[www.extensis.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 07, 2008 10:42PM
or just drop the font folder on the user name in fontbook and if its compatible it will show up in the fonts list in fcp. fontbook is kind of a lite version of suitcase that joey mentions
January 08, 2008 08:46AM
grafixjoe
I personally do all text in Photoshop then bring in the layered .PSD into FCP.
Me too, though I would recommend not to use the ".psd" format (except you want to animate layers) but layered TIFFs - these are way easier to handle in FCP. Anything else behaves like with PSDs. Give it a try and you'll love it smiling smiley

Regards
Andreas
January 08, 2008 12:18PM
Motion and Livetype give full font control too... if you don't mind the round-tripping.

Little plug for Linotype FontExplorer X: works great, cheap as in FREE. Using it with all my Pro Apps and Adobe CS apps.

JK

April 19, 2008 02:10PM
I just installed Linotype FontExplorer X per JK's suggestion. When i was installing it, I made the mistake of selecting, "move fonts" and now photoshop can't find any fonts. How can I fix this?
April 19, 2008 06:09PM
If you chose 'Move' then FontExplorer probably moved all your fonts into it's own folder, and they won't be active unless FontExplorer is running. I usually have it launch at login and keep it running all the time.

If it is running and you're not seeing the fonts, then check and see if any of the fonts you want are currently activated.

JK

April 19, 2008 06:55PM
Like I said earlier - Suitcase Fusion to manage fonts from a separate fonts directory. Do not add a lot of fonts to your main font folder. Your system will not like it and if one gets corrupt, your computer will not boot up.

April 19, 2008 07:44PM
I don't think this is a fault with FontExplorer, Joe. I've used Suitcase in the past and it's quirky behavior is what drove me to other programs; I'm sure it's better now though so to each their own smiling smiley

FontExplorer also prefers to move fonts into it's own directory, leaving only the required System fonts in the Main Library folder and stripping all the other fonts out of Library and User>Library. I agree, it's a much better system to manage fonts that way.

JK

April 19, 2008 08:20PM
All the Mac folks I know that have hundreds of fonts to wrangle are on Suitcase Fusion. I haven't heard of FontExplorer (which by all means doesn't say that it's not good). I tend to use & recommend what I know works based on my own & colleagues successes and good ol' fashioned research. Yes...Suitcase WAS buggy (pre-version 11)...but Fusion is da bomb...handles over 4,000 fonts on my systems quite easily without weirdness. Font previews, repairs, optimization, etc.

Just my 2¢.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics