OT: Slim Apple laptop expected at Macworld

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: Slim Apple laptop expected at Macworld
January 11, 2008 05:45PM
New thinner laptops expected to be announced (half as thick as current Macbook units)...using flash memory instead of HD's:

[news.yahoo.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: Slim Apple laptop expected at Macworld
January 12, 2008 01:01AM
OLED's too, I think!

- L
January 12, 2008 09:30AM
...and touchscreen?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 12, 2008 10:51AM
Somehow touch screen and glossy screen dont seem to go together. Heaven fobid an auto mechanic gets one to use in his shop.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 12, 2008 07:33PM
Since I hate phones, I've been very 'whatever' about the iPhone. Like, yeah yeah, very exciting, a phone/PDA thingy. Why would you want that? Probably never use it, waste of time.

Then I saw a mockup of the 'Macbook Touch', and suddenly the clouds fell from my eyes and I understood the stupid desire to own something that was just flat out COOL.

I so hope they don't actually release one.

January 12, 2008 08:10PM
Don't bag the phone Jude - it saves me carrying my laptop every day - I truly love it...

And I don't want a touch screen, I just want to finally replace my old 867 PB g4 12 inch with something equally silver!

Cmon apple cmon....
January 12, 2008 08:15PM
I'd kill for a 12inch Macbook Pro. Not a 12inch macbook, but Pro. So much easier to travel with plus plug it into an external monitor when need too.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 13, 2008 07:15AM
Oh yeah, Jus, it's just a personal thing between me and the iPhone - more to do with my dislike of phones in general than its actual usefulness. Videophone? Brilliant, and oops I seem to have dropped it off the edge of this boat..

January 13, 2008 10:11AM
I'm with you Jude. I dont carry a cell phone unless I'm out of town. The idea of one just makes me crazy. I dont even know how to program numbers into it. I think I got 12 text messages waiting for me to read but I dont know how to get to them, let alone text anyone. But that iphone sure is cool.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 13, 2008 11:30AM
I don't text a lick...but I love my cell. I love the idea of the cell - to be able to call & receive calls pretty much anywhere there's a signal. I feel naked & alone without it...especially when I am in the supermarket and I lost the list. I have to call my Wife to recreate it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Also, I had a phone interview on Thursday evening @ 5:45 pm and I couldn't do it from my office suite (current employer wouldn't take kindly to me talking to someone else about a new gig). My entire 40 minute commute home up dreaded I-4 was an awesome job interview on my cell.

Couldn't have done it without it - couldn't do without it. I probably will go with a iPhone sometime this year. To be able to pull up a Mapquest webpage while sitting lost in my vehicle would be invaluable. My Razr contract is up so I can re-up anytime. I LoOOooOOooOove technology.

January 14, 2008 03:43PM
Michael - you must be a FCP savant - can ease in and out of split edits stacked layers but the intricacies of punching numbers and hitting save on your phone elude you - I suggest you get Razr Certified smileys with beer

Best Andy
Anonymous User
January 14, 2008 07:28PM
Bite me Andy
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 14, 2008 08:08PM
Made me laugh!
January 15, 2008 12:28PM
It just came out... and it's WAFER thin.

January 15, 2008 01:25PM
Just saw it. Not a pro toy at all. Will be ALL THE RAGE with the kids in school, though. Will KILL PC laptop sales.

NEXT!

January 15, 2008 01:41PM
grafixjoe
Will be ALL THE RAGE with the kids in school, though.
I feel sorry for the parents with 5 teens and pre-teens in the family.... $$$$$$$
January 15, 2008 02:49PM
...kinda meant college.

Just so you all know...it was announced - & here it is:

[www.apple.com]

January 15, 2008 03:16PM
...just a thought:

I read this on the Macbook Air "wireless" page and thought..."what"?

Ahead of the Curve...

MacBook Air has shed something you no longer need: the optical drive. That?s because MacBook Air is built for the wireless world. So instead of watching DVDs, you can rent movies wirelessly from the iTunes Store. And instead of backing up files to a stack of discs, you can back up files wirelessly using Apple?s new Time Capsule.

...what?

This is why this is not configured for pros at all. What about the gazillion DVD backups we already have? Can't broadcast them wirelessly to the new macbook air. That's just plain silly removing an optical drive trying to force folks rent wirelessly from the iTunes store & spend $300 extra clams on a wireless 500 GB "Time Capsule" backup drive ($500 for 1 TB).

...though the Time Capsule does look cool...hmmmmmmm....

January 15, 2008 03:29PM
I agree that it's odd to not have an optical drive, but I think it had practical considerations over just forcing the iTunes rental issue (although it does seem like they are pushing the movement away from disc-based media). There's a physical limit to how high an optical drive enclosure can be, so it had to be sacrificed in order to make this sucker thinner than a pancake.

I think a lot of folks are going to buy the $99 Superdrive add-on, cuz DVDs aren't going anywhere.

I also don't think this is a Pro machine for editing by any stretch. No FW port, no burner, slow drive.

JK

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics