MPEG 4 to edit in FCP5

Posted by jay dubya 
MPEG 4 to edit in FCP5
January 15, 2008 12:10AM
G'day folks,

I've searched the FAQ and got a couple of different responses, so I would like the latest thinking if I may....

I've recently returned from my nephew's wedding which was recorded (by the family) onto a Sony HDV consumer camcorder HDD, which they then burned onto 2 DVD's (yes, it's not pretty !!)

I have offered to "jazz it up a bit" with some photo's we and others took on the day. I have managed to rip the 2 DVD's (my younger nephew is the copyright owner !!) using Handbrake and notice they are in mp4 format using the H264 codec.
I've juggled various settings within FCP 5 but am unable to get smooth playback in the viewer and of course render lines in the timeline.

So, what is my best option to import the mp4 format into FCP5, and more importantly, what should my optimum sequence settings be ?

Thanks in advance,

Jay.
Re: MPEG 4 to edit in FCP5
January 15, 2008 12:42AM
Déjà vu...

MP4s are a delivery format, not an editing format. You should use MPEG Streamclip to convert the video DVDs into a more editing-friendly format, such as DV (PAL, probably, in your case), Photo JPEG etc.

www.derekmok.com
January 15, 2008 04:06AM
Do mpg4s even fit into the timeline?
January 15, 2008 04:08AM
I stupidly, stupidly managed to get an mpeg 2 into my timeline and fcp was never the same after that, i think it must have corrupted something as playback was knackered afterwards leading to a re-install....
January 15, 2008 08:54AM
Mpeg 4 is insane - unworkable, it melts down..listen to Derek...Streamclip is your saviour.
January 15, 2008 01:31PM
Don't even bother working w/ the Mpeg4's.

Mpeg Streamclip is a great, free application (http://www.squared5.com/).
Go back to the DVD's and open them using Streamclip, and it will then let you export to any editing-friendly codec you flavor, such as DV NTSC or DV Pal.

I don't use Handbrake so I don't know if it has the option for you to change what format it will rip DVDs into, but Streamclip for certain does.

Pete
January 15, 2008 07:22PM
Thanks muchly Derek and all,

MPEG streamclip here I come....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics