Phony FireWire event

Posted by Loren Miller 
Phony FireWire event
January 17, 2008 03:08PM
Folks-

This ever happen to anyone?

I turned on my cell phone, placed it on the desk next to a couple of 8-year-old LaCie FireWire drives, those big blue and grey 60GB plastic boxes?

As I heard the phone beep to life, I suddenly got a DEVICE REMOVAL warning in FCP.

Outstanding. This is why shielded cables are important-- except I thought my cables *were* shielded!!

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly find Next/Previous timeline Gaps with Shift/Option -G !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: Phony FireWire event
January 17, 2008 03:13PM
That's an old one. Cell phones and drives aren't meant to mix! I seem to remember older posts about how ringing cell phones not only dismounting drives, but frying them.

And am I surprised that these are Lacies?

www.derekmok.com
January 17, 2008 05:10PM
Dude...if you put a ROCK next to a LaCie drive it will unmount winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 17, 2008 07:16PM
Yeah that was me that posted that mobiles knock LaCies offline. I saw it with my own eyes a few years ago. Phone rings, drive falls down.

January 17, 2008 07:31PM
If you've got to have your cell phone near or next to your drives/edit system, wrap it in tinfoil. Seriously! Try it. Tinfoil off... you can hear the "click, click, click..." of the signal pulses. Tinfoil on.... it's silent.

Mark
January 17, 2008 07:35PM
Personally, I use the tinfoil as a little hat I wear...... you never know who's listening to your thoughts... Maybe the "American Community Survey" group?... the finger smiley

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
January 17, 2008 08:56PM
Does this apply to iPhones as well? jen
January 18, 2008 03:42PM
[Yeah that was me that posted that mobiles knock LaCies offline. I saw it with my own eyes a few years ago. Phone rings, drive falls down.]

Delicious. I probably tuned out because I reissted cell phones for years. Well, lesson learned.

What if I wrap myself in tin foil? I might like that.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly find Next/Previous timeline Gaps with Shift/Option -G !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 18, 2008 07:02PM
It only works if you're allergic to tinfoil and can't stand the tiny little crinkly noises it makes when you move. And that really only works because it makes you leave the room rather than wear tinfoil, taking your mobile phone with you.

January 18, 2008 07:07PM
Best thread in weeks. I've learned a lot. I am wrapping myself in tinfoil as I write this. Got a date with the wife tonight.

Its not just for phones, ya know.

Thanks all.

smileys with beer

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 18, 2008 07:10PM
mark raudonis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you've got to have your cell phone near or next
> to your drives/edit system, wrap it in tinfoil.
> Seriously! Try it. Tinfoil off... you can hear
> the "click, click, click..." of the signal pulses.
> Tinfoil on.... it's silent.
>
> Mark

This is especially true with Nokia phones. I think the wireless provider might make a difference too. I've never had any problems with my Motorola or my LG phones (both Verizon), but the last director I worked for had a Nokia that would start that nonsense at least 5 seconds before the actual ring. With the speakers turned up so she could hear everythingeye rolling smiley, I wanted to shoot myself by the end of it.
January 18, 2008 07:46PM
Mine was a Nokia too.

January 18, 2008 09:41PM
I wrapped my cat in tin foil to see if it would keep the hair off my couch. She looks like a baked potato in the litterbox smiling bouncing smiley

Mike,

Let us know if you get pulled over wrapped in tin foil. Hopefully the cop will have a sense of humor. The conversation could go something like this:

Cop (approaching car window): "License and regissss.....hhhholy shnykies (hand now on gun), sir, please step out of the vehicle"

Mike (wrapped in tin foil): "It's Date Night"

CUT TO: Cop looks over at Mrs. Mike (also wrapped in tin foil - smiling)

Cop (empathetic): "AAAAhhhh....move along"

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics