Multiclip sequence to color

Posted by Yasgur 
Multiclip sequence to color
January 21, 2008 10:16AM
Happy MLK Bday all! I have a 3 angle multiclip. I did my edit and see each clip on my timeline. I want to sent the finished sequence to my colorist who will grade in color. I broke my sequence down to 10 minute segments and there are approximately 25 edits per segment. My question is this:

When I invoke media manager, it builds the list of used media. I want to send an external drive to my colorist with only the media actually used. For example, each angle of my multiclip is an hour long. There are three angles so three hours of Pro Res HQ media. I want to export only the used media to this external drive so when he colors it, he is only doing so to the individual lengths of the clips - in other words, only affecting 1/3 of all of the media. I would like to add say 5 second handles as well for future possible transitions.

So here is what I did. I chose COPY media. I did not include render files. I did not include master clips outside selection. I checked the box to delete unused media from duplicated clips. I checked use handle and set to 5 seconds. I did not check use affiliated clipsoutside selection. I checked duplicate clips and put into a new project and I kept the include nonactive multiclip angles unchecked.

I hit ok and browse to the location. Inside the folder is a media folder. When I click on it, it contains 3 clips identical to my original media. It includes ALL of the media. I was expecting to see copies of individual clips with handles on each end.

Did I do something wrong or did I get what I was supposed to? When my colorist brings in each clip, will he be affecting the entire ten minute section of media or just the individual clip. My thought is the render times will be outrageous since it will want to render the 10 minute clip over and over again.

I am almost ready to make self contained movies clip by clip and let the colorist grade those.

Help?!
Jeff
Re: Multiclip sequence to color
January 21, 2008 10:30AM
Make a duplicate of your sequence and use the command "Collapse multiclips" This turns all your multiclips in to basic clips with only the relevant viewable media connected.

Then do you copy.
I assume your colorist is using FCP or something that can read the XML out of FCP to connect to your clips. You're giving the colorist a FCP Project?

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 21, 2008 10:49AM
I am out of the office this morning but I think my 1st segment WAS collapsed prior to copying it. I'll double check. I intended to give my colorist a drive with the Final cut sequence and the media. My intention was for him to send the clips to Color on his own and then bring back to FCP. I would then render the sequence into a single movie. Why this seems to be such an issue is generally the file sizes.

I actually have 4 concerts - each shot in HDCam captured to Pro Res HQ, three angles each, each about an hour and 15 minutes in total length as well as a 2 camera shoot 4 hours long.

Does this workflow seem right or should I just give him my media and FC project? I have never even opened color!

Jeff
January 21, 2008 11:09PM
Jeff,

You don't say which version of FCP you're using. If you're on the latest version, then your experience is NOT unique. We've discovered that media manager, with respect to multiclips, seems to be broken.

It is NOT shedding the unused media in a multiclip. The only workaround we've found is to actually replace the "multiclip" with the original media. That's right. Matchframe, replace. Matchframe, replace all through the timeline. Collapsing isn't enough. You have to go back to the original media for the manager to correctly shed all of the unused media.

Yes, this is a pain in the patootie.

mark
January 22, 2008 09:11AM
Mark,

Thanks for the post. I was pulling out my hair trying to explain my problem to folks. Everyone told me to do the same thing as in my original post. And yes, I am on the latest version. I think what I will do is make self contained files of each clip and number them from 1-end and put them in a folder to give to the colorist. He can put them on a timeline in order or take them straight to COlor that way. Does this make sense to do?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
January 23, 2008 12:04AM
You can do that, but have you tried "replacing" the footage? Once you start doing it and get into a rhythm it goes pretty quick.

Mark
January 23, 2008 09:14AM
I guess I need to read up on how to do that. That would probably be better. Will I be able to leave handles on the replaced media. Can you give me a quick synopsis on how to do it?

Jeff
January 23, 2008 05:44PM
You're basically going back to the original media. You're "un multi clipping the clip", therefore, whatever media was there before will be available.

Quick synopsis? Sure: Matchframe back to original clip. Replace multiclip with "original media". You're done.

Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics