Versioning

Posted by bscenefilms 
Versioning
January 26, 2008 12:11PM
I have 2 Mac Pro machines. Each is running Leopard. Each is running FCP 6.02.

I create a simple project on one of the machines. I copy the project file to the other machine across the network. I try to load it up on the other machine and FCP says that it's too new of a file and it cannot load it.

What gives?

Mike
Re: Versioning
January 26, 2008 12:24PM
It's a bug. It may be related to permissioning by the system, but I don't know if it's ben tested enough. Use XML export to move the file from one machine to the other.
January 26, 2008 02:08PM
Yeah I thought it might be some weird permission issue, Tom. Thanks for the response. I am going to do a little more digging to see what I need to do to overcome this without doing an XML transfer...
January 26, 2008 02:24PM
Man, that's got to be one of the worst bugs I've heard coming from an upgrade.

But just for the sake of thoroughness, let's rule out some other, less vexing options first. When an FCP project file is sent across networks or the internet, the machine on the other end often gets confused about the version number. Have you already:

1. Tried putting the .fcp extension onto the copied file anew?
2. Tried sending the file with a much simplified name (eg. "test.fcp" -- no capital letters, no symbols or numbers, no underscores)?
3. Tried zipping the project file first before sending?

These are all options that can help. Of course, if it's the bug Tom says, none of them may fix your issue and you should send Apple a criticizing e-mail!

www.derekmok.com
January 26, 2008 02:40PM
It would be really helpful for others if you could take the time to experiment and try Derek's suggestions. This seems to happen on machine transfers. In some instances creating a new user seems to fix this, but I'm not sure if that's reliable. Also it's a pain. It appears to be related to users that were created using Migration Assistant, though this might be only one cause.
January 26, 2008 03:04PM
OK, I got around it. It is a permissions issue. Here is what I did:

And I will try to make this as clear as possible...

2 machines - Angus and Bigmac.

I create a project on Angus and I copy the media and project file to bigmac - I am doing this from Angus. I go over to Bigmac and try to open the project and I get a version error. I check permissions on the file and I see that there is no permission defined for the Bigmac's user account.

So I hit the + at the bottom of GetInfo window to add the BigMac user account and it crashes the finder. I try this again - same deal. I jump into terminal and issue sudo chmod 777 <filename>.

This sets all of the permissions for all of the users including the user "Everyone" to R/W. Still FCP will NOT open the file. So now, seated at BigMac, I delete the project file. Then I copy it over from Angus. I look at Getinfo and now the permissions include the local user on BigMac and FCP will open the file just fine.

Did that make sense?
January 26, 2008 05:20PM
It makes a certain sense. I'd guess that it was the last thing you tried that "fixed" it, and it didn't need any of the earlier steps. The issue is which machine is "driving". When the file transfer is initiated by the destination machine, all file access is being controlled by it, which is really nice when that is the machine that is going to use the files. So it would appear that the fairly straightforward workaround is to make sure you do all the copy operations from the destination machine's keyboard.

This should be pretty easy to confirm.

Scott
January 26, 2008 06:56PM
Hi Guys,

I just did a test.

I have a Network drive attached to my AirPort Extreme. I dropped a FCP project file into the network drive and then, from another Mac, dragged the file out. FCP opened the FCP project file on my second Mac.

Go figure.

--ken
January 26, 2008 08:34PM
Well I think that means that OS X handles NAS permissions differently. I would be curious to see what happens if you PUSH a project file from one machine to the other and bypass the NAS device and see if you can open the file that way. Then if you get the failure, PULL the file from the other machine and try to open it - I bet you will see the same thing I did.
January 26, 2008 10:26PM
Hey all,

I've got 3 machines here, now all running FCP 6.0.2. I am working on a music video project shot on a HVX200 - 720p24 something or other.

The machines are Dual G5 (PPC obviously), MBP 2.16 and MB 2.16. Due to my hernia operation last week, the project has been copied/moved around these machines.

I can report no issues what so ever - open project, change scratch disk location, get to work.

So PPC - Intel and vice versa hasn't been a problem. Also, the MB 2.16 is on 10.5.1, the MBP is on 10.4.11 and the G5 is on 10.4.9. Good one eh?

The project was copied via wifi in its early days, and via firewire now. Again, no issues there - the project is now close to 40gb, so it won't be moving again....

An interesting topic none-the-less...

I've had other export issues with 6.0.2 I didn't have with 6.0, but that is cause for another topic...
Re: Versioning 6.0.1/6.0.2
January 29, 2008 06:25PM
I think I'm having the same/similar issue w/ a file created on 6.0.1. No network involved.

The project is on an external drive which was connected to and opened by someone one another computer using 6.0.2. Now, when reconnected to my macpro, I can't open it on 6.0.1. ( same error message as above in this thread)

I tried copying the file to my internal drive. no luck. I need to figure out how to open this.

Same bug or is 6.0.2 not backward compatible w 6.0.1? Cmon apple. get it together!
Re: Versioning 6.0.1/6.0.2
January 29, 2008 06:28PM
It's not backward compatible as far as I'm aware. When I upgraded from 6.0.0 to 6.0.2 and opened an old project, when you save it warns you with a "This project won't be able to be opened by an older version of Final Cut Pro".

I think you'll need to do the XML thing, or upgrade to 6.0.2.

Is there any reason why anyone wouldn't be upgrading to 6.0.2 from 6.0.? anymore?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics