Can I AutoSave more frequently than one minute in Fcp ?

Posted by Francois 
Can I AutoSave more frequently than one minute in Fcp ?
January 28, 2008 05:41AM
It's just that I am demonstrating Fcs to some people using Pinnacle/Avid Liquid at the present time and they have some kind of permanent auto save

(they better dispose of it because they freeze all the time ! smiling smiley )

so, besides Command+ s, would there be a work around ?

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
Re: Can I AutoSave more frequently than one minute in Fcp ?
January 28, 2008 06:37AM
autosave, by default is turned on every half an hour. if you're going to keep autosave more than once, your project will be quite busy. You can toggle that in the preferences, along with auto render.
January 28, 2008 07:37AM
yeah I know all that , I am an FCS instructor ******* ! smiling smiley

(swearing not necessary - edited by Moderator)

but those people want like every second autosave, they do news on a news 24/24 channel

you can't toggle autosave less than one minute

I wonder if anybody ever found a work around
January 28, 2008 07:53AM
Francois
The answer is No
Sorry mate.
Andy
January 28, 2008 08:04AM
Francois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah I know all that , I am an FCS instructor
> goddamn ! smiling smiley
>

Sorry, didn't read the signature. My bad. smiling smiley

Less than once a minute for autosaving doesn't seem practical though, unless they want Final Cut to act like their Avids tongue sticking out smiley

I'm pretty sure, that if their fingers are too tired to hit 2 buttons at the same time, they could map the save function to the space bar... but that's one sure way to piss off many an editor, including myself.
January 28, 2008 08:13AM
yes that's what I think to (to both)
thanx

January 28, 2008 04:52PM
FCS is more stable than the Avid Solutions. For a number of reasons...

There is no point in setting 1 minute period for a Auto-Save, it is not practical and it will probably induce people into error...
Depending on the size of each project and the speed of the system it would spend about 5 or 10 or even more seconds in every minute of work. Do the Math.

but those people want like every second autosave, they do news on a news 24/24 channel

There is not a precise time for this period, but a good software install, a good maintenance of the Mac repairing the permissions and Unix Scripts can make the whole difference.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
January 28, 2008 05:11PM
Even a once-per-minute Autosave would be very, very unwise. You have to consider:

1. Did you really do any work in that one minute that can't be redone? Was whatever you've done in the last minute really what you want -- especially in cases heavy with trial-and-error, such as effects?
2. If you do an eight-hour day, that's 8 x 60 minutes x 5MB (a small project file) = 2.4GB of Autosave files a day, 99 per cent of which will be junk. If you have a large project, say 80MB, then it's close to 40GB a day, not to mention the fact that each Autosave process will take anywhere between 15 to 30 seconds when the file is that big. It's insane.
3. Why have an active project file at all if you're going to Autosave that often?
4. If the Autosave process were being applied to the actual project file instead of saving a copy, it would be even less desireable -- it means you can't control when to save.

In my view, it's better to have a good backup routine and habitual save habit. People who rely this much on Autosave probably aren't trained in proper computer protocols at all.

www.derekmok.com
January 28, 2008 05:44PM
I am not talking about me or the way I work
or the way I consider One should work

I am talking about people who consider passing from Liquid to Fcp and who think they could'nt live without their "all the time saving"

they are so used to freeze all the time : they have network problems also, EVN from all other the world

never mind...

but on one point you are both wrong, for those people... one minute matters

that real life folks...

January 28, 2008 06:15PM
> I am not talking about me or the way I work
> or the way I consider One should work

I didn't think so, either...you're consulting for those guys, right?

The point I was trying to make (and Rui made a similar point) is that a one-minute Autosave would cause more problems that it prevents. Giving the system one more (potentially taxing) task to perform, and performing it so often. That's what I'd tell them, myself.

www.derekmok.com
January 28, 2008 06:58PM
yes you are right on that, I told them it takes resources, I just wanted to check...

People are so afraid of changes, when they have something that works poorly, they want to stick to it , because it ... works, poorly but works

January 28, 2008 07:14PM
They're certainly welcome to suggest a Feature Request to Apple on something that reflects their needs. With the current FCP, I don't know if it will do what they want it to and I don't think this software was designed for that kind of work. Or live work. We've had people asking about live switching with FCP. Similar deal -- I think it's the wrong tool for the job. At least for now.

www.derekmok.com
January 28, 2008 08:07PM
totally agree with Derek here

I've said it before (usually to hoots of derision and offers of a "I can edit faster than you" smackdown challenge!), but whilst FCP certainly can be used for fast turnaround news editing it is not necessarily the ideal tool for the job ... it lacks certain features that make for the fastest possible workflows, amongst them the constant saved state project file.
When you cut in a live news environment and your app crashes then you need to be able to relaunch and pick up where you left off instantly ... with FCP you'll have lost some of what you did, your thought processes will have been interrupted and it'll probably now take longer to re-perform these recent edits ... and if you didn't actually cut much in the last minutes anyway then you're probably in the wrong niche :-)
January 28, 2008 09:01PM
Don't be lazy...Command/S often! Don't depend on Auto Save. I have trained myself over the years to hit Command/S after every edit / keyframe.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 29, 2008 04:48AM
There some good solutions for news that depend on FCP.
Gallery
Check the SIENNA SYSTEM
it works with ENPS.

Pinnacle/Avid Liquid for news???!!!
Or is it Avid NewsCutter?

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
January 29, 2008 05:07AM
Pinnacle/Avid I confirm !

and that's a permanent news chanel ! sometimes they edit with rushes still "ingesting" meaning ... the file is still coming to them / or live events still going on, like a royal wedding...

thank you for the link

January 31, 2008 07:37AM
That SIENNA System has some great features - I really like how it connects the read rate to the script inside FCP, which in turn is connected to the timeline, so you can build your pictures fairly confidently right from the script. Brilliant idea.

What's a fast cutting speed? I timed myself the other day on a four minute story and got it done in one hour 45 min, all voice, music and overlay. Of course, I'm a production editor, so I've got to make it look pretty and I'm not as fast as others - a real News editor told me the other day she got a 2.30 story as the lead to cut in half an hour. In the end it got bumped down the rundown by just under a minute. That's bloody fast.

What sucks is that she then got asked why she hadn't made the slot, as if it was her fault. Amazing.

January 31, 2008 08:06AM
Fastest I've done might be 18 minutes in eight hours. It was a documentary with about 50 hours of footage and they didn't even give me time to watch everything! "We're only budgeted for one day", they said.

> What sucks is that she then got asked why she hadn't made the slot, as if it was her fault.
> Amazing.

Bloody producers only think about the money. I believe we editors are under more and more pressure these days. My client wasn't even happy with 18 minutes for that day and had wanted me to to do non-paid overtime. Eighteen minutes for a non-scripted (ie. I had to structure the whole thing as well), "narrative documentary" where I hadn't seen the footage beforehand. Seriously, nobody ever budgets realistically for editing anymore, they're just obsessed with putting in the lowest bid.

www.derekmok.com
January 31, 2008 11:08AM
A polished four minute feature package in 1 hour 45 minutes is none too shabby Jude!
A 2 minute 30 package in 30 minutes is good too ... but missing your slot? [Cue dark and foreboding music] Never a Good Thing?

The Sienna One looks promising but its a shame their Case Studies page doesn't offer up any details ... my guess is that the "Sienna based infrastructure" sales so far are probably mainly just Picture Ready and Virtual VTR. Still, I surely hope they sell some of these systems though, as it might make give Apple the extra push to give FCP a few of those missing features that would streamline the workflow for news editing ... you'd probably be able to shave a few minutes off of that time and your friend might have made her slot :-)
January 31, 2008 06:06PM
Oh - I forgot to mention she was on an integrated Avid. Same same though. I think it's ridiculous that a journo can take all day to work on the words then give it up with half an hour to go for the pictures and sound on a 2 and halfer. That's just unreasonable pressure. Make it shorter, or deliver it earlier, or don't expect it to lead.

I hated News for that reason - watching journos chatting to their friends on the phone while I'm building a sweat about whether I can make the slot when they finally get around to delivering it to me. I reckon they should allow News editors to have tazars.

Mind you, today I have to cut a 2 min segment, sweeten a couple of segments, compile a show and deliver on tape by midday, and I just got a call from the Producer telling me I can't come in until 10.30am. Uh yeah. Like that's gonna happen.

January 31, 2008 07:27PM
> Mind you, today I have to cut a 2 min segment, sweeten a couple of segments, compile a show
> and deliver on tape by midday, and I just got a call from the Producer telling me I can't come in
> until 10.30am. Uh yeah. Like that's gonna happen.

You go, Jude...tell them that they're crazy and if they don't have the budget to bring you in with enough time to do the work, then the work doesn't get done.

I should've said no to that "documentary in one day" request as well. Because when my day was up and I had 18 minutes, the guy had the nerve to blame me for wanting to leave before the f***ing thing was done. I should have told him before the job that cutting the entire thing in one day was a pipe dream. But my instinct to try to give the clients what they want just took over.

www.derekmok.com
January 31, 2008 07:46PM
We have a great Amercian expression you need to know Jude. BITE ME!

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 04, 2008 08:27AM
Wow! an 18 minute non scripted docu in 8 hours! that's pretty cool! My fastest was a 23 minute drama in slightly over 10 hours. Wish I had more time- i like to watch over ever cut, pace, repace and occasionally re-edit...

How far polished are those works though? I doubt i can pull a non scripted docu in that time- was there a lot of action motivated sequences?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics