project will only open 20% then crash

Posted by howard 
project will only open 20% then crash
February 04, 2008 03:40AM
Hi, I have a project that will only open 20%, at which point FCP crashes. No error report. Earlier versions of this 30 minute doco go as far as 35% before system crashes. I?ve trashed prefs. But no good. I have already delivered this job so its not urgent but any ideas would be much appreciated. Cheers Howard.
Re: project will only open 20% then crash
February 04, 2008 03:57AM
Sounds like a corrupt file. Move all your media to a new location (so, basically, hide it) then open the project, then reconnect small sections at a time, until you hit the mucked up media.

Also, this is why it's a good idea not to set your FCP to open the last project you were working on. If it gets corrupted, you can't open FCP at all.

February 04, 2008 04:04PM
My first strategy: Before you get into moving media around, try to load the project without *any* media attached. Dismount scratch drives and try it.

The Reconnect dialog sorts missing files by scratch disk. If the project comes up suvccessfully , mount each offline drive, one at a time, and connect as much as possible. It may flag a particular file as corrupt while trying to connect.

An old Charlie Roberts trick that worked me out of a jam. That is, the trick is old. Chawla is only middleaged (and mysterously quiet about FCP these days... :-(

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Instantly find Next/Previous timeline Gaps with Shift/Option -G !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 05, 2008 03:39PM
Thank you Jude and Loren. You were both on the money. I still haven?t isolated which file is corrupted but by taking one of my external drives out of the equation I was able to move everything and then reconnect the media as you have both suggested. I realised while doing so another job wont open, for the same company, I?m guessing its one of the twenty changes of logo they sent me. I?ll try the ?disconnect the scratch disc? method. Sounds a little less labour intensive. Thanks to you both. Howard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics