Audio Levels Gone Wild

Posted by J.Corbett 
Audio Levels Gone Wild
February 17, 2008 09:13PM
Is it me or are the audio levels on the big network gone mad. i have been noticing levels with as much as 8db differences.

Its all the big boy too, fox , abc, nick, tbs, nbc, mtv everybody. i remember a time when it wasn't so erratic.

Has anyone else noticed this?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Audio Levels Gone Wild
February 17, 2008 09:17PM
8dB differences? Differences to what?
February 17, 2008 11:50PM
your watching a show its at -12 then the 1st commercial is at -4 next commercial -16 then -6 then back to the show.

its like they are not making the audio levels uniform.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 18, 2008 12:51AM
You're just noticing this now? Where've you been the last 5 years?

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
February 18, 2008 05:09AM
I've noticed that NBC's HD feeds (noticed this in two different locations, LA and in Pennsylvania) are very, very low in comparison with the other networks. It's kind of annoying because when you're watching an NBC show and switch to another channel you get blasted out of your seat because you had to increase the volume so much on the NBC channel. There's definitely some different standards out there as far as what they set their tone level to be.
February 18, 2008 07:23AM
For me, Comedy Central is waaay down, and I have to crank it up to where it kills me when I go back to regular network stuff. This is on DirecTV, if that has any bearing.

Scott
February 18, 2008 11:38AM
then the crazy part is that if you send a demo with lo audio they will tell you what your problem is.

i think its laziness. -12 db is not that hard to achieve as a uniformed level. I find myself adjusting the volume more than the channels.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics