separate digital sound recorder and FCP
February 19, 2008 05:07PM
Has anybody used a product like the Samson Zoom H4 to record good audio with a clip mic and then import it into FCP and have it stay synced and actually work? An affordable, portable solution to when both camera xlr's are in use and you need to record another audio track.
Re: separate digital sound recorder and FCP
February 19, 2008 05:13PM
The R-44 from Edirol would work I'd think. 4 channels and runs on batteries.

[www.edirol.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 19, 2008 05:25PM
I own the Zoom H4 and it has several issues for the purpose you're talking about:

a) I haven't used the 44.1kHz WAV mode, but a 44.1kHz MP3 mode on this recorder, when exported back into AIFF mode, did not stay in sync with 29.97fps, DV video. I had to do some slipping and duplicating a frame here or there;

b) The Zoom H4 guzzles batteries. I think you can get maybe an hour on two AA batteries, and while two AAs is not too bad, I'm not even sure the thing can stay on for two hours straight even when not recording;

c) The H4 is very awkward if you need to use its input jacks rather than the built-in mikes. It is so light that just the weight of the cables will drag it falling to its oblivion off your crate/cart, and you have to go into another mode just to see the sound meters;

d) Finally, the power switch is very easy to nudge. And the H4 doesn't "record as it goes"; if the recorder is powered off (it can do this if it suffers impact), you get nothing. The last recording doesn't exist until you stop the recording.

Having used it for months, I don't think I'd recommend it as a field recorder for film work. I use it as a dictaphone, sometimes to record jams with musicians, as a sketchbook for songwriting ideas, and also to do temporary foleying if I need a quick and dirty sound. The H4's portability, ease of use and built-in microphones are great for those purposes.

www.derekmok.com
February 20, 2008 08:37AM
Derek
Having used it for months, I don't think I'd recommend it as a field recorder for film work. I use it as a dictaphone, sometimes to record jams with musicians, as a sketchbook for songwriting ideas, and also to do temporary foleying if I need a quick and dirty sound. The H4's portability, ease of use and built-in microphones are great for those purposes.
I also own one and I can confirm Derek's opinion.

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics