DV quicktime to DV avi

Posted by Göran 
DV quicktime to DV avi
February 20, 2008 01:59AM
Hi.
What happens if i export a quicktime with dv codec and export it to an avi with dv codec?
Does it compress the file with the dv codec again? What is the best way to do this?

Thank´s
AL
Re: DV quicktime to DV avi
February 20, 2008 02:54AM
Hi there,

One thing you could try is only exporting once. From the FCP timeline, FILE- Export - Using Quicktime Conversion, From here select AVi and then from options chose your DV codec to export with - should help you avoid 2 exports and re-compressing....

Al F.
February 20, 2008 03:27AM
Hi Al!
Thank´s!
That´s exactly what I´m trying to find out, if final cut recompresses my original dv timeline again.
The same thing goes for after effects. If I bring in a dv clip and choose the render settings to dv in the render que, will it compress it again? But I guess that question belongs in another forum.
This dv compression thing is something I have been wondering about for a very long time now.
I hope I will be able to figure out exactly what is happening in that process.

Göran
February 20, 2008 04:25AM
if you are working in a DV timeline and export a quicktime movie w/ current settings, either self-contained or otherwise, and with the "recompress all frames" option unchecked, then you will get a quicktime movie of your timeline that is a direct copy of the original without any recompression

if you export with the same settings but with the "recompress all frames" option checked then you will get a copy of the timeline with a full DV recompression of all frames of the movie

if you export the same movie using "quicktime conversion" then you will get a copy of the timeline with a full DV recompression of all frames of the movie

if you want an AVI copy of a DV quicktime movie then you might want to consider using MPEG Streamclip ... there is a quicktime component included called "Save as AVI" which can be used to rewrap your DV MOV file to AVI without recompression of the original
February 20, 2008 05:12AM
Thank´s a million Andy!!!!
you have answered exactly what I needed to know!!!
What a revelation!

Göran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics