NAB

Posted by xavpil 
NAB
February 20, 2008 09:48AM
I've always wanted to go to the NAB but never got a chance.
This year again I am hoping to make it to Vegas.

. Do you guys thinks it is worth the trip?
. Does anyone has a 'trick' to keep the costs down?

thx
Re: NAB
February 20, 2008 10:02AM
Well...Apple & Avid are out so...what fun would it be to NOT see David Krall's face as he watches the insane traffic in the Apple booth?

The trick to keeping costs down is staying with the $10 blackjack tables instead of the $100 blackjack tables. Stay away from the craps tables & don't get hammered while betting.

The only reason I can see going is the Supermeet.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 20, 2008 10:11AM
Didn't know about Avid and Apple not going.
I guess you saved me a trip and a hangover then.
February 20, 2008 10:54AM
Apple might not be on the show floor but they will be at the SuperMeet April 16. In a big way. NAB is worth going too as you'll meet a lot of people you have met online and you get to see lots of cool stuff all in one place. No one goes to NAB to see one thing so Apple and Avid being off the show floor should not be a deal breaker for anyone.

[www.lafcpug.org]

Tickets just went on sale today for the SuperMeet. Get them soon. We always sell out.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 20, 2008 11:15AM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NAB is
> worth going too as you'll meet a lot of people you
> have met online and you get to see lots of cool
> stuff all in one place. No one goes to NAB to see
> one thing so Apple and Avid being off the show
> floor should not be a deal breaker for anyone.

Absolutely.
February 20, 2008 11:39AM
If you play Craps and keep your $5.00 bets on the pass line you may be able to play for a long time.
Look for a travel lodge to stay in. There's one or two on the strip.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
February 20, 2008 11:47AM
Michael Horton Wrote:

>
> Tickets just went on sale today for the SuperMeet.
> Get them soon. We always sell out.

Too late!! Sold Out
February 20, 2008 12:42PM
DAMN! sold out already?!?!?! its like 6 weeks away!
February 20, 2008 12:48PM
Nah. Plenty of seats available. We've only just begun and havent even started marketing yet.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 20, 2008 12:54PM
thats a relief! id hate to miss it... i'll be there!
February 20, 2008 01:13PM
My bad!!!
The link i found was to April.. 2007!

Sorry guys.
February 20, 2008 02:45PM
I'm going. Working for Matrox this time...and Panasonic. Doing the P2 workflow and monitoring solution at the same time.

And I'll be at the show as well. I can't wait to meet you Wayne!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: NAB on the cheap
February 21, 2008 10:20AM
Several years ago Dick Riesener (sp) who for years wrote "Tips to Clip" posted on an e-list his tip. Stay in the Motel 6 on Tropicana. Back when, it was around $35/night. Last year I paid around $60. Be sure to register online before you go because they charge way more if you just show up. Then catch the free shuttle bus at the Tropicana or across the street at MGM. The Motel 6 has lockers for a buck or so where you can leave your bags when you check out and pick up in a cab on the way out to the airport.

Even without Apple, the LAFCPUG Supermeet is worth the trip alone. And ProMax digital cafe. It's a real opportunity to wander the show floor and check out in person those odds and ends of gear that you really need to get a hand on. Last year I picked our a tripod at Bogen/Mafrotto. Also a Kata Lighting bag. Played with Sony V1u in their booth. Bought one last fall.

It's also a chance to meet some folks who hang on the forums Like our Shane Ross. And Horton too, but you'll get enough of him at the Meet. winking smiley

Phil Cramer
Indianapolis
February 21, 2008 11:16AM
Now it seems that staying off the strip is best bet. There are shuttles to the strip from almost every hotel. Also get a few buddies and rent a condo. That is real cheap. You can do NAB cheap, just got to want to. Despite rising costs the SuperMeet still costs only $15.00 thanks to our generous sponsors.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 21, 2008 02:41PM
But the fun part of going to Vegas is spending $200-$300 a night for a cool hotel that you only SLEEP in! MGM GRAND! LUXOR! WYNN!

Everytime I go I stay at the Stratosphere...seems to be my hangout. This year I am going where the company that hired me puts me. I hope it is on a TRAM line.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 21, 2008 02:58PM
My friend Rick Young stayed at the Sahara last year (probably the cheapest of the strip hotels) and while checking in, the person behind the desk asked if he wanted electricity with the room. True story. Electricity costed extra it seemed. That or he was on hidden camera.

Real fun place but not cheap anymore is Circus Circus. Not the tower, but the annex. Kind of like hanging out in the Greyhound bus station in Hollywood, only with lots of Crack paraphernalia to add to the ambiance.

Marco Solorio and I stayed at this dive off the strip several years ago. About a 2 block walk. Crusty carpets type of motel. Woken up one night by nearby gun fire and shouting. Adam Wilt recommended this place to us. Never listened to Adam again.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 21, 2008 03:16PM
Ha ha!!! Ahhhh the good old days. That had to have been like 8 years ago or something. Yeah... Adam knows video but he sure as hell doesn't know about places to stay in Vegas!!! (Or he does and got a big laugh at me and Michael's expense!)

Marco Solorio | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Media Batch
February 21, 2008 03:20PM
I think the name of the place was the "Guns and Sluts Motel." Which should of been a tip off to Marco and I, but I guess we didn't notice.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 21, 2008 03:28PM
A great place to stay used to be the old Vagabond on the strip. The Treasure Island pirate show was across the road. I think the Venetian finally bought the little strip mall and tore it down. On the one block you had groceries, booze, guns and ammo, and a car rental place that did exotic cars.
February 21, 2008 06:45PM
With enough Red Bull you could just fly in, Gamble go to NAB go to the Super Meet and then more gambling back to Nab and more gambling then just go home.
Luckily I'll be sleeping with family.

------------------------
Dean

February 21, 2008 06:48PM
Sorry Dean. I got you down as filming the SuperMeet too.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 21, 2008 11:45PM
OK I'll buy some Zicam

------------------------
Dean

February 23, 2008 11:03AM
"...Luckily I'll be sleeping with family."

Ok what happens in Vegas stays, etc.

But that was just TOO much information.

:-)
February 23, 2008 11:33AM
^ ^ ^

smiling bouncing smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 23, 2008 02:24PM
> Stay in the Motel 6 on Tropicana. Back when, it
> was around $35/night. Last year I paid around $60.

Stayed there many, many years ago. Read a news story a few months ago about "bed bugs" in hotel rooms these days and that very Motel 6 on Trop was mentioned. A woman was quoted for the story, saying she got scabies there. Sometimes what happens in Vegas goes home with you.

If you don't mind a 15 min. drive, the Sunset Station in Henderson is very nice, quiet and doesn't raise the rates for NAB. April 13th is $69, 14th is $69, 15th is $79.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics