Raid Solution???

Posted by Charles jones 
Raid Solution???
February 21, 2008 07:48PM
I have a question, I have a Mac Pro 2.66 intel with AJA LHe 4 GB RAM. three hard drives raid 0

and my question is I want to purchase a GSpeed Es or an HDPro my concern is if a hard drive gets full does it not slow down or are Raids different? If they are then I can save money and get the GRade. But the HDPro has a ram cache that can protect this. Some one please help me because if I am racking my brain for no reason then let me know. any one with experience with these products please let me know. I've read the reviews but every one says they are fast. But what about the bad news. I hate to start debates But which one is better?

HELP GURU'S
Charles
Re: Raid Solution???
February 21, 2008 07:53PM
The which one is better question is hard to answer. Depends on which Raid system you have. If it works then you'll defend it to the death. Both are great companies. But we like CalDigit because they sponsor lafcpug.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 21, 2008 09:45PM
I have a Kona LHe at work and just talked my supervisor into purchasing a shiny new CalDigit 2.5 TB S2VR HD (Hi, John smiling smiley) Comes with a controller card & cables as well.

I must say...it kicks a$$. I would buy one for my home rig but the $2399 is out of my budget right now.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 22, 2008 01:08PM
Charles,

The G-speed ES is a software RAID product, the HDPro is a 100% hardware RAID product, see the Quicktime on this here:

[www.caldigit.com]#

(Click the "Hardware vs Software RAID" Quicktime to see the differences).

As to the slowdowns in drives, as any drive fills with data, it will slow down in performance, this is inherent in all drives. The cache memory in the HDPro does help with these latency issues however. We have MANY happy customers of the HDPro, to include NBC in Burbank. Call me & I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have further.

The HDPro has sustained throughput in RAID 5 of 390-400MB/s Read & 310-325MB/s write.

The product comes with a 30 day no questions asked customer satisfaction guarantee.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe, while the S2VRHD is still supported, we discontinued it to introduce our new Hardware RAID card, the CalDigit RAID card & it's companion product, the HDElement, more and more people were asking us for a hardware RAID 5 product so we had to meet that need. The CalDigit RAID card supports 4 drives internally & 12 drives externally with RAID levels of 0,1,5,6 & JBOD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Horton, besides sponsoring LAFCPUG, you know as well as anyone that we're also good people, that manufacture great products & back them up. Mike, besides sponsoring LAFCPUG, you know that we're also good people, that manufacture great products & back them up, also & you're a good friend to boot.

February 22, 2008 01:15PM
Mike, besides sponsoring LAFCPUG, you know that we're also good people, that manufacture great products & back them up also, & you're a good friend to
boot.

That is true. But as leader of this group I tend to suck up only to those that sponsor lafcpug and those that give me free whiskey.

drinking smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 22, 2008 01:18PM
Mike,

LOL.

Your sense of humor & timing never fails to amuse me. smiling smiley

Make sure to have me buy you a beer at NAB.
February 22, 2008 04:17PM

Joe, while the S2VRHD is still supported, we discontinued it

...what?

I just took it out of the box this week...and it's EOL ALREADY?? I would definitely hope it's still supported. All warranties honored? I hope so as well.

Sh_t. Ya know...just once I wish someone would announce these things rather than allow folks to spend so much money on an EOL item just to clear inventory (especially for LAFCPUG members). We waited weeks while the thing was on backorder as well. Man this sux.

February 22, 2008 04:27PM
Joey,

I apologize profusely and understand your frustration.

We made a point to tell people on our forum at Creative Cow, (I generally don't post sales oriented stuff here on Mike's forum) & there is a disclaimer on our website that's been there for at least 2 weeks now that we discontinued this product. S2VR HD - (* Discontinued) on this page: [www.caldigit.com]

The only dealer that had stock was B&H, everyone else had sold out months ago. We are still shipping both the 4 port HBA eSATA controller card for that product, the FASTA-4e (PCIe) & the PCIx version, as well as the eSATA Expresscard 34 & the S2VRDuo, (2 bay) product, so again I stress there is no issue with the support of this product & the product is fully warranted.
February 22, 2008 06:14PM
They still make and support the Duos...and I have two of those. eSATA has to replace firewire as a standard...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 22, 2008 09:01PM
I figured eSATA was going to be a standard...which is why I convinced my Supervisor to go with this unit... and all the praise I was getting from users. B & H were the ones we dealt with and they were on backorder so rather than anyone telling us that the item was discontinued, they just kept our invoice open and shipped it when they got it. I would have never purchased or especially suggested purchasing anything that was discontinued - support or not (especially to a Supervisor)... makes me look pretty dumb. Sure there is support now, but eventually the Mac OS will outlast the developer drivers and we will be screwed (like the Matrox RTMac / Targa 2000 Pro units I purchased a while back).

February 22, 2008 09:57PM
Just because they don't make it anymore doesn't mean that it's now junk.

Shake has been EOL for a while now. What? 2, 3 years? Still very usable.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 23, 2008 11:29AM
...never said it was "junk", shane. If you read my post, you would see that I said it "kicked a$$". That is not the issue. I have experience (as I am sure you also do) with EOL HARDWARE (software is a different animal altogether) and I personally have taken a bath on it (I have a $4995.00 Targa 2000 Pro card & a $3995.00 Sledgehammer SCSI RAID just sitting in their boxes... I don't have the heart to dispose of them).

This is not a rant...this is personal experience talking.

My point is I look pretty stupid recommending discontinued equipment to my employers... especially when they look to me for the latest & greatest trends in hardware. CalDigit seems like a great company that cares about the customers and their needs. They have a great line of products and will probably be purchasing more from them in the future (you can bet that I will do much better research next time). This is a business (financial) decision. When it becomes financially wasteful to keep developing for legacy hardware, "Kick a$$" or not, history dictates that in regards to hardware it will be a boat anchor in 2 to 3 years after EOL is announced.

February 25, 2008 11:20AM
Joey,

You can ALWAYS call or e-mail me 1st on any questions & I'll be happy to help.

Jon
February 25, 2008 12:06PM
I know that Jon...you're good like that thumbs down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics