Avid sequence into FCP

Posted by ErikR 
Avid sequence into FCP
February 27, 2008 03:55PM
I've looked around the board and have seen some answers like Sebsky Tools for getting clips into FCP from Avid, or Automatic Duck for importing OMF 2.0 files. Maybe they're related to my question, but since I've never done this before, I figured I'd ask.

I've got a project in Avid, that a client wants to be able to open in his FCP. Is there a way to get my edited sequences over in FCP? I don't see anything like that listed for Sebsky or Automatic Duck (unless I'm not looking hard enough).

Thanks
Re: Avid sequence into FCP
February 27, 2008 04:35PM
Sebsky Tools can help you get logged clips from Avid to FCP, not an edited sequence.

Pro Import FCP is a plug-in from Automatic Duck that imports an AAF or OMF 2.0 file exported from your Avid. Export the sequence to AAF or OMF, then use Pro Import FCP to bring it into FCP.
Pro Import FCP product page

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
February 27, 2008 04:41PM
And that will include the video?
February 27, 2008 04:46PM
Are you asking "Does the media get translated as well as the sequence?"

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
February 27, 2008 04:52PM
Not the media itself. But the sequence that's imported will have the video and audio in the sequence, so when they batch the tapes in, everything will be there from my original cut, and they can make whatever changes they need to my edit.

Is there a demo to see how it works?
February 27, 2008 04:55PM
The answer to your question is Yes, the edits from both video and audio tracks will appear in FCP so that they can batch capture and restore the project.

We do not make demo versions of our products, however you can send me a test sequence (zipped) and I will reply to you with it in an FCP project file. Include in your email the version of FCP you're using.

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
February 27, 2008 04:59PM
It's braindead simple Erik. The duck just works. Probably why they dont have a demo. No need for one

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 27, 2008 05:13PM
Thanks guys.

Wes, I'll see if I can send you something, but at them moment we're trying to jam this show out. I'll check with the FCP editor to see what he's got on his end. Maybe he already had Automatic Duck.

thanks again.
February 27, 2008 07:01PM
Sorry to point this to another topic, but Wes, does the "Automatic Duck" translates a FCP sequence into the Quantel eQ?
The eQ timeline has only one video track, does this means that the FCP sequence must be also single track?

Thanks

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
February 28, 2008 07:45AM
May I ask a sidebar question to this?

IS there a way to take video digitized into an AVID system and convert it into usuable quicktime files AND translate the AVID sequence into FCP? We have a client who wants us to take over a great deal of AVID projects and digitized video and they don't have access to a lot of the original material any more - just the digitized files...

A converter to take what avid creates (AVIs?) to Quicktime? Thanks Andy
February 28, 2008 10:40AM
Rui Barros Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to point this to another topic, but Wes,
> does the "Automatic Duck" translates a FCP
> sequence into the Quantel eQ?
> The eQ timeline has only one video track, does
> this means that the FCP sequence must be also
> single track?

Correct, the Qs are currently limited to one track. You can use our Pro Export FCP plug-in to create an AAF file from FCP that you can import into your system. However since you're still limited to one track you might just try EDLs.

Hopefully Quantel will have some new goods to show us at NAB. :-)

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
February 28, 2008 10:48AM
Hi Wes,

What email address should I send the sequence to?

Thanks,
Erik
February 28, 2008 10:49AM
Andy Field Wrote:
> May I ask a sidebar question to this?
>
> IS there a way to take video digitized into an
> AVID system and convert it into usuable quicktime
> files AND translate the AVID sequence into FCP?
> We have a client who wants us to take over a great
> deal of AVID projects and digitized video and they
> don't have access to a lot of the original
> material any more - just the digitized files...

Pro Import FCP has an option to "Use existing media" and in this mode the plug-in creates QuickTime reference movies (using the Avid Codec) to the Avid OMF or MXF media files. This allows FCP to play back the Avid media (assuming the Avid Codecs are installed).

Lots of our users use this capability but some have had problems so we've historically been a little gun-shy about promoting it too much. The problems are generally odd incompatibilities or conflicts between FCP and the Avid Codecs. I've rarely seen issues myself and most users who go this route seem thrilled, but occasionally someone gets bit.

That said we are currently testing a new build with many of our users that greatly improves this situation for DV25, DV50 and DVCProHD media. This is pretty cool and should be out in a point release later this spring.

Remember that Pro Import FCP imports OMF or AAF exports from the Avid, not Avid projects themselves, so someone needs access to an Avid to export the sequences for you.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
February 28, 2008 10:50AM
ErikR Wrote:
> Hi Wes,
>
> What email address should I send the sequence
> to?

Use the email address or even an IM address listed here... www.automaticduck.com/contact/

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
February 28, 2008 10:54AM
Should I put a sequence in its own bin and email the bin, or do I need to export the sequence as a specific file?
February 28, 2008 11:05AM
ErikR Wrote:
> Should I put a sequence in its own bin and email
> the bin

Sure. Don't forget to zip the file before emailing it.
February 28, 2008 07:11PM
Thanks Wes,

I hope so, good news from Quantel, the eQ is driving me crazy with it´s unique workflow and bugs, lots of them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics